• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

I finally got my pier adapter finished so I could unbox my new CGE Pro and get it on the pier. I must say, that sucker is HEAVY! I did manage to get it mounted on the pier with a bit of effort and started to get it ready for the OTA. I installed the extra clutch knobs that are removed for shipping on both the RA and DEC. Then I attached the counterweight bar.

Next comes the strange part, I loosened all four clutch knobs for the RA to swing it around to get a sense of the range of motion it will have in the observatory. But I noticed that with no weights and no OTA, just the counterweight bar. Where ever I stop swinging it, the RA stopped also. I can use my finger to move it, but it stays put when I stop applying pressure. I thought maybe the clutch knobs were not loose enough, so I back them out further and still the same result.

Based off of how it feels unclutched, I cannot imagine being able to "slightly" balance the RA to the east. Is this normal for other users? Or should I be feeling buttery smooth? Is there a set screw or something somewhere I can adjust for the "pre-load" on the clutch? :question:

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Brushing the cob webs aside so I can get a look at that area of my memory I seem to recall that my CGE-PRO had butter smooth balancing and no resistance at all. However I never attempted to balance it with nothing on it. All I can say is try it with your OTA and counter weights and see. If it still seems stiff then I would get it checked out. Maybe he bearing keepers are over tightened.

#3 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

The motion does feel smooth: no rough spots, binding or a anything like that. Looking at the RA, I unscrewed the big orange cap at the back revealing a big bearing and a big nut. The way the RA feels, it seems like the nut is too tight, if that makes sense. I should note that DEC with the clutches loosen fells "smooth". I will give Celestron a call today and see what they say too.

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

They (most likely) will tell you to ship it back to them so their technicians can work on it. At least that is what happened to me when I asked them for a technical mount manual so I can clean up some of the motion. Good luck!!

The motion does feel smooth: no rough spots, binding or a anything like that. Looking at the RA, I unscrewed the big orange cap at the back revealing a big bearing and a big nut. The way the RA feels, it seems like the nut is too tight, if that makes sense. I should note that DEC with the clutches loosen fells "smooth". I will give Celestron a call today and see what they say too.

#5 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

I would try loading it up first and see if its still doing it.

#6 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Update: I talked to Celestron this morning for about 30min and something is for sure not right with mine. So they are having me ship it to them (on their dime). Tech was super helpful and knew what he was talking about. 99% sure they are just going to grab a fresh one and ship it me. At least I live in Michigan and it is cloudy for long periods here right now, so I am not missing time. Plus I have my trusty CGEM in case it does clear out.

#7 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, I received my new mount head today and the RA is buttery smooth now. Took a bit of time, but shipping across the country both ways does take a bit I suppose. Plus Celestron footed the bill, so I cannot complain. Now if I can get some clear skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics