ID this mount work with SW100ED?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Could someone please identify this mount for me. I trying to determine if this mount would work with a Skywatcher 100ED refractor. I have seen different weights given for this scope. I believe the scope is around 9 lbs with the finder. With my heaviest eyepiece that would make it around 12 lbs. total.Would this be too heavy for this mount?.I’m hoping it might be ok to get by with for now to keep my expenses down. That’s assuming that I can add a dovetail mounting plate to mount the refractor. There is no mounting dovetail on this mount now as you can see in the close up image of the head. Are there adapters available for this? If this mount won’t work, can you recommend one that will? I’m thinking of a GEM so that high power viewing will track with slow motion controls or possibly a drive. Portabilitiy is also a concern since this part of the reason I’m considering the SW100ED to begin with. I want it to be a grab and go set up if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Dean

Attached Files

#2 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Attached Files

#3 WillCarney

WillCarney

Apollo

• Loc: Bloomington, ILL

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Can't tell by the picture. Any names or other markings? You could also remove the counter weight and weigh it. That weight will give you the telescope weight it was designed to be used for. You can usually put a little more of course but it depends on the mount. William

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

it's probably an EQ-2 or EQ-3. And the answer is, no.

I found an Orion 100ED to be a bit fiddly on a Vixen GP (which the EQ-5 copied.. not so well).

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

It's an EQ-2, not well suited for the longish 4" refractor. I have mine on a Polaris, which is great. You could also get by with a CG-4 or Orion Astroview.

#6 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

You guys are great. Thanks for the quick replies on this. Wishful thinking on my part. Looks like I need to do some research on some other mounts.

Dean

#7 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Definitely an EQ2 - I have an identical one (except with wooden legs). I would agree - the mount is too light for that scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics