SW Quattro 8" f/4 Impressive on Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

The Skywatcher 200 f/4 Carbon Fibre is made for imaging, and I really didn't expect it to be good on planets. It has a 2.6" secondary (32.5% obstruction). Used with a Paracorr T2, it has a Focal Length of 920 mm and is f/4.6.

The night was coldish (-4º C) and I left the OTA out for about 2 hours before viewing; I didn't use a fan for cooling.

With Jupiter high in the sky at about 2:00 a.m., the view with the 6mm Delos (153x) was very nice, and with the 5mm Nagler T6 (184x) also nice - nice bands, with irregularities/ festoons, and the Great Red Spot.

The view was significantly more pleasant than with the Skywatcher 120ED 900mm f/7.5 refractor, although, to be fair, the refractor didn't have as good a mount (an AZ4 on the 120ED vs iOptron iEQ45 for the Quattro.)

Still, in the battle of the Skywatchers, I'll choose the 200mm Newt over the 120ED. It seems that aperture rules, despite central obstruction and fast optics. The Quattro seems to have done the optics well.

#2 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

I agree - central obstruction has a less deleterious effect on the view than you might at first think. The Takahashi Mewlons are known to be superb planetary performers, but have nearly a 30 percent CO. I'm looking forward to some great Jupiter viewing this winter - he's a master showman. Enjoy your Quattro. :-)

#3 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

It would be nice to compare the performance with a Mewlon!

It would also be nice to compare with a C8 - I no longer have one, but I'm confident it would compare well.

#4 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

It would be nice to compare the performance with a Mewlon!

Did someone once say, "so many telescopes, so little money?"

Get yee to some star parties and hopefully encounter a Mewlon for comparison.

As for Skywatcher, they seem to have good quality in all their product line. Kudos to them.

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

That about average for a SCT CO though my C9.25's is 36% and it's excellent for lunar-planetary. David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics