• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prefetch

prefetch

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

this is driving me nuts.

here's a .fit file of the crescent nebula. it's easily solvable with astrometry.net, but for some reason astrometrica can't do it (or i can't get it to work.) here's the online solution from astrometry.net: http://nova.astromet...140777#redgreen

in astrometrica reduction fails, i go to manual, match it up, and click okay and it then blanks out the red circles and does nothing. i don't get it.

Posted Image

things i've tried: stretching the image and changing lots of settings values.

can someone else take the file and see if they can get astrometrica to work? this is driving me nuts and making me depressed. :bawling:

sorry - i renamed the file "barf.fits" somewhere along the line. lol.
https://www.dropbox....ycec29/barf.fit

location i'm using for astrometrica: 20h 12m 09.9s, +38° 23' 14
and the angle and focal length are in the screenshot above.

#2 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I downloaded your file & was looking in the Fits header. I did not see the entry for your scope, as in size & f/ratio. Most programs need this info (focal length) to set the image scale. Your camera info was there as in pixel size. So I just need to know what FL you shot at.
I was going to do this first in Visual Pinpoit. Then try it in Astrometrica. A little tip that I forgot to tell you the other night is that I always try to orientate the FOV with North at the top of the frame. But that's just me, this way I always know which direction is which.

#3 prefetch

prefetch

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

thanks carl. yeah, here is the info:

20h 12m 09.9s, +38° 23' 14
focal length: 550
angle: 277
pixel size: 4.55

as you can see from the image above, the red circles match perfectly with the stars in the photo - so i know my angle, focal ratio are correct and RA/Dec are correct. i just don't understand why astrometrica won't accept it.

#4 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

Not sure what your trying to accomplish with the image. Position of an asteroid or asteroids in the FOV?

I assume you did not input an asteroid number.

Check the log file from the File Menu for information on the solved image.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics