Metal roof color?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Decision time on the color for the metal roof.
I am not sure I find the white attractive. I am leaning toward a dark red.
Latitude is 44N. Not subtropical desert.

Bad idea? Should I stick with white or off-white to keep heat down?

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Red is pretty. I went with green in my neck of he woods.

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have a white roof; but I really wouldn't worry much about the color, choose what appeals to you! :)

#4 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thanks, Chris and Carol. I got hung up somewhere thinking it had to be "white-ish."

#5 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well Terry you know what I like.

Attached Files

#6 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Terry,One thing about white,or any bright color.If the Obs is within the constant view of the house,and the sun is ever behind or above it,you will be shading your eyes quite often.Just a thought.

#7 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Another thing is if the ceiling is finished and is insulated,that will help keep the heat to a minimum inside.

#8 P26

P26

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

The obvious reason for white is to minimize radiant solar heating. Even though a roll-off roof cools the building more quickly than a dome when opened, the telescope will take longer to reach ambient temperature if it starts off warmer than it could be. I'm in RI (41°N) and the interior of my white structure stays pretty close to ambient even when closed on a hot summer day. So there's a slight trade-off between function and aesthetics.

Clear skies,

Pete Peterson
Wishing Star Observatory I15

#9 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Terry,One thing about white,or any bright color.If the Obs is within the constant view of the house,and the sun is ever behind or above it,you will be shading your eyes quite often.Just a thought.

I have not found this to happen with mine. The sun doesn't seem to reflect off the white metal roof to cause any problem. :shrug:

#10 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

The shed guy brought a roof sample and I decided on an off-white color that looks nice.

#11 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have white. No reflections from the sun.

#12 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Green standing seam metal roof.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Beo

#13 pstarr

pstarr

Gemini

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I went with white. My main concern was keeping the building as cool as possible, not about how it looks. When the roof was raw galvanized metal it got quite hot in the sun. I also used white aluminum siding on the exterior walls. All that white does a good job keeping the building cool. I also installed ridge vent material the length of roof. The overhang on the sides are opened and screened the length of the roof to aide ventilation.

Attached Files

#14 JJK

JJK

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

The obvious reason for white is to minimize radiant solar heating. Even though a roll-off roof cools the building more quickly than a dome when opened, the telescope will take longer to reach ambient temperature if it starts off warmer than it could be. I'm in RI (41°N) and the interior of my white structure stays pretty close to ambient even when closed on a hot summer day. So there's a slight trade-off between function and aesthetics.

Clear skies,

Pete Peterson
Wishing Star Observatory I15

Color isn't the only factor determining heat transfer into the observatory.

#15 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

Mine is a deep red. It's very attractive with the gray walls (plastic siding) and white trim.

#16 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

the standard galvanized metal roofing sheets (silver-colored) are usually coated with a thin layer of oil that needs to be washed off well if you decided to paint over it. Otherwise you will be re-painting the roof every 3 years or so because the paint was not able to bond solidly with the metal.

I am told the best way to get it off is to have it professionally spray-washed.

Any others have experience with this?

#17 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

I love my red roof.

Posted Image

#18 pstarr

pstarr

Gemini

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

the standard galvanized metal roofing sheets (silver-colored) are usually coated with a thin layer of oil that needs to be washed off well if you decided to paint over it. Otherwise you will be re-painting the roof every 3 years or so because the paint was not able to bond solidly with the metal.

I am told the best way to get it off is to have it professionally spray-washed.

Any others have experience with this?

Even if you wash the oil off, paint still has a hard time sticking to galv., much like painting aluminum. You need to use a primer/paint made for use on Galv. surfaces. I worked in Sheet metal for 36 years. We used to wash it down with a diluted mixture of muriatic acid to etch the surface. We also would buy a galvanized metal called paint grip. It was already treated to make painting easy.
read here This is rather extream but you get the idea that you can't just paint it without some prep work. I bought a paint/priner in one at sears that was made for Galvanized. I just washed the surface with acetone on a rag to remove any oil. The paint has been on there almost 20 years and hasn't peeled. Once you get a good base coat, you can pretty much put any paint over it. Your no longer painting galvanized, your painting the paint that's already on there.

#19 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Almost 20 years ago I built a 10x12 ROR using plans from a British astro book. It recommended using translucent fiberglass panel for the roof so light would come in.

The problem was that so much light came in the building got unbearably hot. I soon painted the roof except for a small 2-ft square in the middle left as a "skylight".

A few years later we sold the house. The guy that bought it turned the observatory into a doghouse for his large dog that was blind. :p

#20 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

White or silver for reasons of emissivity and heating. Ever wonder why ALL observatories are white or silver..

#21 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Almost 20 years ago I built a 10x12 ROR using plans from a British astro book. It recommended using translucent fiberglass panel for the roof so light would come in.

This is what the guy building my shed suggested! For the exact reason you describe, I thought it a bad idea. I've decided on an off white.

#22 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Mine's beige.....I ordered white when I began the build, and when it arrived, it was just too 'white', so I got beige. On an unfinished pine structure, it looks good..... (the white pieces make great firewood covers....)
R

#23 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

This is what the guy building my shed suggested! For the exact reason you describe, I thought it a bad idea. I've decided on an off white.

Very bad idea! I had those on my back porch enclosure, and talk about heat buidup! Wow! I've now got metal roofing on it.

#24 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

Very bad idea! I had those on my back porch enclosure, and talk about heat buidup! Wow! I've now got metal roofing on it.

Not to mention they are much harder to prevent leaking.

Beo

#25 Orion58

Orion58

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Wisconsin

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi Terry - I chose forest green simply because it matches our house well. I would strongly suggest building it with a full length ridge vent for ventilation. I also installed reflective foil insulation underneath to help get rid of summer's heat.

Regarding the dark color - I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer and the inside of my observatory has never been warmer than the outside temp. The airflow through the ridge vent combined with the reflective insulation does the trick.

Also, at your latitude, summer heat should be a very minor issue.

Good luck with your project! :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics