Celestron Advanced VX mount

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ymehmet

ymehmet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hi, I am wondering about one thing. For how long can you expose with the following setup? I mean in astrophotography, what would be the maximum exposure time with the setup? Celestron Advanced VS mount, explore scientific AR102 refractor, DSLR camera.

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

The mount has a lot of capabilities but you have to have your own capabilities to make the most out of it.

Without guiding at long focal length I am pushing 45 seconds but I am also using PEC and have my polar alignment spot on.

#3 ymehmet

ymehmet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

45 seconds sound very short. I wanted to do shooting at least 3-5 minutes to shoot nebulas, galaxies, DSOs etc...Then I guess this mount is not really the one for those? What about Astrotrac with its wedge, pier, and the head deal? Do you think it would be able to do better with this refractor?

#4 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

how much you want to spend,,,,, or whats your limit?
Kasey

#5 ymehmet

ymehmet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

I want to spend 1000 dollars, and I already have the Explore scientific AR102 refractor.

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

for 3-5 minutes you will need guiding, or about 7,000.00+.. Whichway was talking unguided, Kasey

#7 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi Mehmet,

Welcome to CN.

It depends on the focal length of your optics as well. If you are just starting with astrophotography, I would suggest you should stay south of 500mm. Starting with camera lenses will be great. 50mm, 100mm and later on 200mm. AR102 will challenge you at the beginning with it's relatively slow f ratio and 663mm focal length. The camera lenses will give great results at f/2.8 or f/4 and require much shorter exposures.

With the help of auto guiding, you can go as long as you want, provided you have a reasonably good polar alignment.

I actually own the mount and getting great result with 5-10 minutes exposures at 530mm focal length.

Hope this helps.

Clear skies

Sedat

#8 ymehmet

ymehmet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hi Sedat,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I've done some imaging with lenses so far. Some with no mount, and some with astrotrac mount. Now I just got this refractor for imaging at longer focal length, but I'm not sure if astrotrac can handle this OTA. And of course it doesn't have GoTo capability.
Do you mean you own the VX mount? Or astrotrac?
I was thinking to buy the VX mount but heard that you can do very short exposures without autoguiding, which costs much more money. So, I wanted to see what other experienced people think/suggest on this matter.

#9 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

you can get set up with auto guiding for less than $200.00 I am sure, can go the ST 80 and and Mallincam just came out with a $99.00 viseo cam can use as guide camera, Kasey

#10 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I was thinking to buy the VX mount but heard that you can do very short exposures without autoguiding, which costs much more money. So, I wanted to see what other experienced people think/suggest on this matter.

I've been able to do 1.5 and 2 minute unguided exposures at 600mm with a careful polar align and I'd be happy to share the results. The Lagoon nebula photo in my gallery was unguided. I only did this a couple nights waiting for my guider setup to arrive, however.

You really need an autoguider to do those long five plus minute exposures to get good results when doing dso photos. Luckily guilders are now pretty cheap and easy to use.

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

45 seconds sound very short. I wanted to do shooting at least 3-5 minutes to shoot nebulas, galaxies, DSOs etc...Then I guess this mount is not really the one for those? What about Astrotrac with its wedge, pier, and the head deal? Do you think it would be able to do better with this refractor?

If you want to be able to shoot UNGUIDED for three to five minutes over about 600mm of focal length, be prepared to spend about ten times what the VX costs. ;)

#12 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

Hi Sedat,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I've done some imaging with lenses so far. Some with no mount, and some with astrotrac mount. Now I just got this refractor for imaging at longer focal length, but I'm not sure if astrotrac can handle this OTA. And of course it doesn't have GoTo capability.
Do you mean you own the VX mount? Or astrotrac?

I currently own a VX mount as part of my portable setup. I used to own an Astro Trac Travel System (less the pier) but I don't see any advantages of it over the VX. AVX is 10 times better with its extra functionality such as goto, ASPA, PEC etc.

While Astrotrac is a fine piece of equipment, it's not really meant for long focal length work. For visual it will be a great mount (I know, because I have used it for that purpose for quite some time.) but for long exposure AP that setup will prove to be quite challenging.

Now that you are moving towards longer focal length, you may want to sell the Astrotrac and get a guider camera + an Off-Axis guider with that money.

#13 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

My C8 Edge on the VX mount - perfect couple :)

Posted Image

I have spent quite some time to build an Astrotrac system but in the end, I've decided it wasn't good enough for me and my purposes. Of course, this is me and YMMV.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Lunt 80 on Astrotrac

Posted Image

2 cameras on Astrotrac

#14 ymehmet

ymehmet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Those are great pieces of insturments, Sedat. In terms of stability, GoTo capability, I agree that the VX must be much better mount.
Let me ask you this. With my AR102 refractor mounted on the VX, and if I get the Orion Mini AutoGuider Package, would I get decent and lengthy long-exposures ?

#15 RealSorin

RealSorin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

I use a Orion Mini Autoguider with a CG-5 mount and a AT6RC. That's about double the focal length of the AR102, and really pushing the limits of the 50mm guide scope. With guiding, I can do 2 min subs, but then the DEC on the CG-5 starts to slip. That said, I've seen people do 5 min subs with both the CG-5 and AVX with guiding. It won't be as reliable as a $5k mount in terms of how many good exposures you get vs throw-away, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and more portable.

#16 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Those are great pieces of insturments, Sedat. In terms of stability, GoTo capability, I agree that the VX must be much better mount.
Let me ask you this. With my AR102 refractor mounted on the VX, and if I get the Orion Mini AutoGuider Package, would I get decent and lengthy long-exposures ?

I had used Orion SS Autoguider over 4 years and was quite happy with it. However, there are better alternatives nowadays, like QHY5L-II and ZWO. You can use these cameras for solar, lunar and planetary imaging in addition to guiding. Besides, the sensivity of these are much higher than SSAG which will allow you to easily use an off-axis guider. The OAG I'm using at the moment is made by Lacerta..

These 2 items will give you the ability to shoot as long as you want and still get tight, round stars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics