• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 hiro

hiro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks Tonk for the introduction of my works on the comet C/2010 X1 Elenin in October - November 2010. I failed at the first several trials, but I could enjoy the object much.

I have enjoyed C/2012 S1 ISON as you know. We hoped the comet a little too much. We knew that the light curve was lower than expected in January and that the comet was within Bortle's limit. It was nice that those curves or limits are worth consideration. I respect researchers of astronomy of the field.

It was really a nice comet, but we have not seen the end mark yet.

Those in this forum may be candidates of observer of such ridiculous objects. I will enjoy imaging of the remnant of C/2012 S1 several times, maybe on Sunday mornings. It may be challenging, but it must be worth the effort. Something must be drifting on or around the orbit, and we may be able to be rare witness. I hope to watch the shape on a frame.

#77 krp

krp

Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Tonk for the introduction of my works on the comet C/2010 X1 Elenin in October - November 2010. I failed at the first several trials, but I could enjoy the object much.

I have enjoyed C/2012 S1 ISON as you know. We hoped the comet a little too much. We knew that the light curve was lower than expected in January and that the comet was within Bortle's limit. It was nice that those curves or limits are worth consideration. I respect researchers of astronomy of the field.

It was really a nice comet, but we have not seen the end mark yet.

Those in this forum may be candidates of observer of such ridiculous objects. I will enjoy imaging of the remnant of C/2012 S1 several times, maybe on Sunday mornings. It may be challenging, but it must be worth the effort. Something must be drifting on or around the orbit, and we may be able to be rare witness. I hope to watch the shape on a frame.

I look forward to seeing what you capture.

#78 hiro

hiro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thanks Kevin,

I hope that I can watch something, but I will present results here, even if the results were negative for the remnant.

#79 kywildcats

kywildcats

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

Since ISON is no more....I wonder if the Science Channel is still planning on showing the program about ISON. Everyone will be running outside to look for it and will be very disappointed.

#80 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

It's still being advertised.

Rich (RLTYS)

#81 krp

krp

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

ISON is now back in the field of view of Stereo H1-A

Posted Image
Source

I hope the remnants will hold together a little longer so at least something can be seen from earth. I also found another image that shows ISON better but I'm not sure of the source so I won't post it.

#82 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yes, it is a bit perplexing to understand just how the Science Channel can present its SuperCometISON 2013 special this evening, considering virtually nothing remains of the comet beyond a rapidly dispersing large cloud of debris.

While a trace of ISON continues was imaged by one of the STEREO cameras as late as this early morning, the brightest portion of the remnant cloud appears to have a surface bright of less than that of the Merope Nebula in the Pleiades.

In 5 or 6 days, when this remnant debris cloud has reached sufficient solar elongation and is reasonably up in the Earth's eastern morning sky to be imaged, I would anticipate that only the deepest images might be capable of detecting any trace of it at all...if such even exist by then!

BrooksObs

#83 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

Very cool ISON video now up on Spaceweather.com

ISON video

JimC

#84 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Awesome video. Maybe not comet of the century but for folks with telescopes, perhaps something can be viewed this month as it gets positioned further from the sun.

#85 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

The Science Channel is now airing a slightly different promo for the show that seems to indicate Comet ISON's probable demise. They haven't changed the title to Not-So-Super Comet ISON 2013, however.

Dave Mitsky

#86 hiro

hiro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

I tried imaging of the object and found nothing on the frame, though the equatorial mount was following the ephemeris. The altitude of the object was 3.94 degrees at the beginning of twilight.

http://www.flickr.co...oc/11263328836/

It may have been difficult to detect faint and diffuse object with low surface brightness under the poor observing condition. I will try again.

#87 Glen A W

Glen A W

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

People can say what they want - it was a great comet for me. It looked great on the way down, and the show on Thanksgiving was worth the wait.

#88 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

I watched the Discovery Channel special on ISON. I DVR'd it Friday, it was a very good series, talked a lot about how scientists tracked the comet and showed that many times science doesn't go the way one hopes. The Discovery Channel is going to reshow it really early in the morning on Sunday, so set you DVR.

#89 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

There's no sign of Comet ISON in the image posted at http://spaceweatherg...upload_id=91066

For more, see http://spaceweather.com/ (Monday-Wednesday).

Dave Mitsky

#90 krp

krp

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Isn't it surprising that none of the remains have been detected from earth at this point? It was still visible in stereo a few days ago. I have heard Hubble will attempt to capture it sometime in the next week.

#91 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Isn't it surprising that none of the remains have been detected from earth at this point?

STEREO has the supreme advantage of have no atmosphere to squint through and an excellent elongation from the sun

Plus what STEREO was imaging is extremely dim - dimmer than the nebulosity in the Pleiades

#92 hiro

hiro

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

We could recognize Pleiades and surrounding dust and gas on the frame with STEREO, but we can image far dimmer objects than it, when it is away from the sun.
http://www.flickr.co...roc/5225950849/

I believe that there is some chance of imaging the remnant, when it is far away from the sun, though integrated flux nebulae in the field must be obstruction. We may need subtraction or comparison of several images. The object must be getting dimmer day by day, and the condition of imaging is getting better. We must haste and utilize the possibility the most.

We will pass the orbit plane of the comet around January 16, 2014. The object comes near Polaris, far away from the sun at the date. We may have some better chance of imaging around the date, though the moon will be another obstruction then. We must have chance ahead.

#93 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hiro - I'm expecting that you will succeed going on your past achievements :)

#94 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

A very interesting situation occurs next month, one perfectly suited to Hiro's ability and equipment. Between the mornings of January 10th and 14th (the absolutely last moonless morning in mid January) the Earth will be very near, or crossing, ISON's orbital plane. Any trace remnants of the comet's dispersing dust cloud and tails will be presented to us almost perfectly edge-on and their brightness greatly compounded. This was exactly what occurrred in the case of recent Comet PanSTARRS about 6-8 weeks past its perihelion passage. Recall the extraordinary anolamous (sunward) tail that appeared briefly? "Something" like that might appear on deep images in conjunction with ISON's dust, even though the comet itself no longer exists!

BrooksObs

#95 canukLX90

canukLX90

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: B.C. Canada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully there will be some clear
skies for those days. Time to tune up the optics so that
every photon can be collected of this vanishing visitor to
our solar neighborhood.

PJ