Comet disappointment

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OldDeadOne

OldDeadOne

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

I was clearly hoping that ISON was going to dazzle my eyes and be a comet that would wow my socks off,as it looks like it got fried like so many turkeys did today. So I am hoping that one day in the remainder of my life I will see a great comet streaking across the day and night skies like I did in 1986 when Halley's came and wowed me.

#2 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

I was hoping this would be my first "great comet". So far Ive only seen PANNSTARS.....

#3 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Don't give up yet. It is not done.

The comet did give a great show this past month for those who would look to see it.

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Don't give up yet. It is not done.

The comet did give a great show this past month for those who would look to see it.

Also Lovejoy is pretty nice in the morning hours.

#5 djeber2

djeber2

Apollo

• Loc: Cloudy Midwest

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

I was hoping this would be my first "great comet". So far Ive only seen PANNSTARS.....

Panstarrs was a nice one and also Lovejoy is an easy binoc target even in the suburbs

#6 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Well I should have stated I was hoping for a good naked eye comet and so far Ive only naked eyed Panstarrs. Ive seen othe ones through scopes including ISON

#7 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I agree. After all this, I still have Lovejoy to look forward to after the clouds clear and the Moon gets out of the morning sky. It was pretty decent three weeks ago, and I hear it's much better now.

I also think some folks are a bit greedy on the great comet idea. The "great comets" of "olde" were seen by people who were not exposed to computer-effects movies and video games all the time. Even really great comets perhaps don't look like people tend to imagine. I've seen a couple and I certainly loved them, but most people I know who were in the general public weren't real impressed, if they managed to find them at all.

#8 mattz

mattz

Viking 1

• Loc: Where is Rescue CA?

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

The "great comets" of "olde" were seen by people who were not exposed to computer-effects movies and video games all the time.

They also had a bit darker skies than we can even hope for.

#9 cdh79

cdh79

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

I liked Hale Bopp.. i even saw it from NYC's Time square with the naked eye, and i will never forget the view of it next to an Aurora when flying over Greenland (from Europe to the US)..
Hyakutake was great as well in my opinion..

so there are plenty of great comets that can be seen with the naked eye..

i agree that there are less dark sites nowadays and i also think people are a bit "dulled off" due to the amount of incredible images, which obviously don't really reflect the experience of naked-eye observation

#10 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Keep watching ISON as it might surprise us.

#11 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

so there are plenty of great comets that can be seen with the naked eye..

The average time span between "great" comets is over ten years so I can't agree.

http://www.icq.eps.h.../brightest.html

Factor in the fact that most of the world's population now lives under heavily light-polluted skies and great comets sometimes require being up before sunrise to be seen, hyping comets, for whatever reason, is a foolhardy and counterproductive exercise, in my opinion. I've done a lot of public outreach over the years and have found that things that excite amateur astronomers can often be less than impressive to the general public.

Dave Mitsky

#12 boandpokey

boandpokey

Ranger 4

• Loc: Auburndale, Fl

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

hale bopp was incomparable.. period...

#13 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've done a lot of public outreach over the years and have found that things that excite amateur astronomers can often be less than impressive to the general public.

Dave Mitsky

I tend to agree. I don't really do outreach but the people who have looked through my scope have been impressed by the moon, Saturn, Orion nebula, maybe Jupiter and that's about it.

Under a dark sky the general public would have been awed by Hyakutake but few, if any, saw it under a true dark sky.

#14 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Post deleted by RLTYS

#15 djeber2

djeber2

Apollo

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

????????

#16 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Dang it! You caught me Kon. Since I'm one of those deniers, I'll confess, I'm guilty of destroying ISON.

#17 Philler

Philler

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

I've done a lot of public outreach over the years and have found that things that excite amateur astronomers can often be less than impressive to the general public.

Dave Mitsky

I tend to agree. I don't really do outreach but the people who have looked through my scope have been impressed by the moon, Saturn, Orion nebula, maybe Jupiter and that's about it.

Under a dark sky the general public would have been awed by Hyakutake but few, if any, saw it under a true dark sky.

Yea, ISON has been a dissapointment, sad to say.
I think you just have to be lucky sometimes.
My first great looking comet was Hyakutake in March 1996. Just on the spur of the moment, I just took the time to travel to the nearest good area away from the city and there it was near UMi. It was freezing cold, but I could hardly believe how spectacular it was! I stayed and enjoyed it as long as I could. Too bad it didn't say around longer.
I thought Hale Bopp too was just as spectacular in the spring of 1997 low in the evening sky.

#18 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

OK - any astronomer tried for ISON since perihelion - tried this morning via binos but no luck @ est mag 5 (HeavensAbove) low in SE before dawn :-)

#19 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

OK - any astronomer tried for ISON since perihelion - tried this morning via binos but no luck @ est mag 5 (HeavensAbove) low in SE before dawn :-)

There's some photos showing up on comets-ml of it.

#20 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

No disappointment for me. I haven't had so much comet fun in 15 years.

#21 djeber2

djeber2

Apollo

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

No disappointment for me. I haven't had so much comet fun in 15 years.

Same here. Nov was a great month for viewing comets, as was March/April with PANSTARRS.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics