• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

Hello there,

I wonder if you could help me, I'm getting very desperate here.

I have a Skywatcher EQ5 motor drive system (looks same as this)
http://www.cloudynig...php?item_id=550

It works fairly ok, but the slew rate is deadly slow, feel like commiting suicide each time I attempt to use it. LOL.

Is there any way I could boost the speed ALOT, or even get some additional parts to replace/improve this system??

massively appreciate some assistance,
thanks in advance.

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

There is a way to boost the power to the drives to get higher slew speeds and goto functionality.

Picgotogroup@yahoogroups.com

#3 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Really! Any details/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#4 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

what drive rate do you have it on? I find 9 fast enough for most slews, 6 to move and 1 or 2 to centre.

#5 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi there JC,

On the controller there is 2x, 4x, 8x slew.
These are megga megga slow speeds. On my old Meade ETX 70-AT, That had a max 800x slew rate I seem to remember. Much better for quickly moving across the sky.

-------------------------

Helios Explorer 200 (8 inch)
EQ4 Mount (compatible EQ4/EQ5 motor drive)

#6 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

I've seen this Skywatcher GOTO kit,
http://rover.ebay.co...54f14bd5285e...

but anybody know if I could use my existing motors, and then buy the handheld bit of this kit??
cheers

#7 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

My bad, I thought you had the eq5 with goto handset.

#8 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

I wish, I'm beginning to discover, lol. :confused:
If anybody knows if I can combine these 2 kits, OR, buy a second hand GOTO one, please do advise.
I don't have a big enough bank to afford a brand new £299 GOTO kit. :(

#9 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Unfortunately you do not have goto motors. The ones you have do not have any encoders in them. I don't think you can speed up the current motors without burning them up. It is not financially feasible to upgrade a eq5 to goto now days. There are many used cg5 goto mounts for sale now. Your best bet is to pick up a used one.

#10 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hey thanks for your comments Dan. Very good tips, might just have to start looking for a used mount then. cheers ;)

#11 namregd

namregd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi Christof

Are you still looking to upgrade the EQ5? Have you heard of AstroEQ?

Doug

#12 Christof

Christof

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hey there Doug. I've had a good research into that thanks, not heard of that before. All looks pretty darn good!

I am tempted to just bite the bullet and buy the "Sky Watcher SynScan GOTO Upgrade Kit", but still trying to persuade myself to spend £300. :(

#13 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

On the non-goto EQ5 drives, if you need to slew to a point further than nearby to your current location, just unlock your RA and Dec axes and manually reposition your scope the vicinity of where you want to go. No need to wait on the motors slewing a long distance

#14 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Actually you don't have to "unlock" your clutches. Just keep enough tension on them to keep'em from slipping and you can move the mount manually without fooling with them. Losmandy mounts are designed to permit manual override of the clutches.

#15 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I do not know if your hand controller works this way or not, but many controllers do.

If you press the RA button to go east, try holding that button down, then pressing the opposite (West) button and holding it down as well.

On Celestron and some Vixen controllers, this put the scope in a "High Speed" mode that was usually 32X.

Many Celestron Go-To mounts do the exact same thing. Holding the button for the direction you want to go, then holding the opposite buttom puts you in high speed slew. This keeps you from having to change the slew rate if you need to move more than a little bit.

Losmandy mounts and the Ci700 would do this too I think.. know for sure my Ci700 worked this way, and again, 32x siderial.

So, not saying that yours will do this, but a lot of mounts do have this feature.

Free to try..

#16 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hello Christof there is another option available. You can try your hand at making your own goto system for your EQ5. It's not as hard as you may think. You can recoup your money by selling your existing motors and controller to someone else who only has manual cables.

There are several members here including myself which have adapted older mounts with newer motors for goto. You will need an Arduino, some time on eBay, and a little patience. Check out the ATM forum here as there are many people who can help you out on this.

The 'worst' thing that can happen is that you learn a few skills and make a goto system for a fraction of the cost of buying one.

obin ;)

#17 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hi there JC,

On the controller there is 2x, 4x, 8x slew.
These are megga megga slow speeds. On my old Meade ETX 70-AT, That had a max 800x slew rate I seem to remember. Much better for quickly moving across the sky.

-------------------------

Helios Explorer 200 (8 inch)
EQ4 Mount (compatible EQ4/EQ5 motor drive)

Easier to disengage the clutch and use your manual slew cable to manually slew in RA and Dec if the distance to another object is more than a few degrees. Well that's what I do with my NONGOTO CG5 which has the identical motors as your EQ5 and the same handpaddle/controller.

BTW I've upgraded my handpaddle to make it able to interface with and do ST4 style autoguiding (was really easy to do) so I can now use my Orion autoguider with the old NONGOTO CG5.

#18 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

On Celestron and some Vixen controllers, this put the scope in a "High Speed" mode that was usually 32X.

Losmandy mounts and the Ci700 would do this too I think.. know for sure my Ci700 worked this way, and again, 32x siderial.

Well, I think the Synta drives system started out as a clone of the Vixen DMD1. It has been simplified by the use of a microcontroller. The instructions don't document a "fast" slew. Anyway, I don't think 6v is going to support fast stepping in a motor with 16-18 Ohm coils.

The Losmandy 492 digital drive and the CI-700 both are derived from the DC Ultima mount. The Ultima manual documents the 32X feature. The Celestar and Celestar Dlx also have it as they are Ultima derivatives. For a short period there was a Ultima like drive system for the CG-5, but I've never got my hands on the controller for a look/see.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics