WiFi telescope & CCD & guider control

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

Currently I have my mount hand controller, guider and CCD connected all to a single USB Hub which is connected to a single 20meter USB cable and this cable connects to my laptop inside the house during winter. I don't have a permanent observatory and I'm trying to avoid to unfold every observation session a 20meter USB cable.

Is it possible to replace the 20meter USB cable with a single WiFi adapter in which I insert the USB Hub and my laptop will connect to that WiFi adapter and control all my equipment, e.g. mount,guider and CCD? If yes, which is the appropriate WiFi USB device?

#2 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

I found this Wireless USB Hub http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=428774 but it is not for sale anymore.

#3 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Even if it has an USB port, I suppose the Orion StarSeek Wi-Fi Telescope Control Module http://www.telescope...Orion-StarSe... can control only the mount and not CCDs and guiders too. Right?

#4 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

I used to use one of these in your situation before I built my Obs. It worked well out to 70 feet depending on walls and obstructions.

http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

It has 4 ports so should suffice for your setup. Only issue you might get is if the hand controller is recognised. Buy it from Amazon and send it back if it does not work for you.

Terry

#5 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

I can see doing everything remote except autoguide, How do you focus the autoguide camera to get a good star when the laptop is so far away? I know Mallincams have remote (PC) control but did not think autoguide cameras did? Thank you. Kasey

#6 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I used to have my laptop out with my gear and control via a VNC-like application (Screen Sharing was what I used with my macs) from inside. It was the best of both worlds: no issues with downloading data as it all went to the laptop and I kept warm. The only issue was a half second or so delay, but that'll depend on the wifi connection. I think you might have issues if you download the imaging frames via wifi.

Hope this helps,
Gabe

#7 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vostok 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Just a thought:
"How do you focus the auto-guider when the laptop is in the house"?

Solution?
How about using an Android TABLET with Remote Desktop?

From my Asus tablet using wireless, I can see and control my home Win8 desktop from the backyard.

Also helps to have a wireless extender router to increase the coverage area.

#8 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

:question:Am a little slow here and lacking in computer tech stuff. So you have your PHD tracking camera/control, mount control and camera control and video or picture going into a USB (3-4 port?) Hub, then a single cable to the computer in the house where it is able to play them all? Then with a tablet can go outside to scope and focus guider, viewing the laptop screen via remote access on Tablet? If I have that correct, do you need a high dollar tablet? Kasey

#9 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

There are two cheapo options to consider.

1. Cheapest. Use a series of USB repeaters and bury them in the grass. I have AC power plus 60 ft worth of repeater cables to,a four port powered hub at the scope. Problem here is sometimes you need more than 1 four port hub so I,have also buried a 100ft CAT5 cable to another 4 portnHub and I use elcheapo USB 1.1 dongles and control all the slow applications with this four port hub

2. You use a spare laptop,at the scope and plug everything into,it or USB hubs at the scope and you VNC into the laptop from inside using your own wifi... I use the free Teamviewer app which works fine...

Al

#10 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

Your camera's will not work through usb over wifi. No if, ands or buts about it. Wifi does not support full duplex (send and receive at the same time) like wired ethernet does. Your better off with an Icron Ranger than multi usb repeaters. Thats a nightmare in its own. And probably more expensive.

#11 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

Currently I have my mount hand controller, guider and CCD connected all to a single USB Hub which is connected to a single 20meter USB cable and this cable connects to my laptop inside the house during winter. I don't have a permanent observatory and I'm trying to avoid to unfold every observation session a 20meter USB cable.

Is it possible to replace the 20meter USB cable with a single WiFi adapter in which I insert the USB Hub and my laptop will connect to that WiFi adapter and control all my equipment, e.g. mount,guider and CCD? If yes, which is the appropriate WiFi USB device?

Moromete,

I have been busy in the other discussions, I forgot to jump in on this!

There are some simple ways to go. For basic pointing/gotos I use SkyFi with SkySafari on the Macintosh, iPad and iPhone. I believe the StarSeek is a rebranded SkyFi. This ONLY controls your telescope for gotos; note SkySafari has loads of other features. It is wonderful controlling a telescope wirelessly from a tap on my iPad. Not only on cold nights, but also for outreach events. Something worth considering.

To control everything else (i.e. cameras and such) I have a MacBook Pro, which is connected to the telescope and extras, wirelessly connected to my network. On cold nights I just screen share from another Macintosh in the home which is also on my wireless network. Actually, I can control my MacBook Pro and screen share from anywhere in the world with no added tools (all part of the MacOS). You can do the same with Windows, but I am not versed in the procedure or the software tools.

Some folks use BlueTooth, but you won't have the same range as wifi.

One thing to consider are the temperatures. My Mac might have issues when the temps get to -15 deg C. I am seriously considering using a heating blanket on it (I live in a dry climate).

#12 Waldemar

Waldemar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

I second the Icron Ranger. Expensive, but worth every penny.
There are only a few converters that can deal with the bandwith necessary for imaging.
TeamViewer is a nice and easy program to have acces to other computers via the web.

Just my 2c

BR Waldemar

#13 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: ITALY

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

But how to control the ocular and focusing?

I was thinking at a DSLR Camera with remote wifi controller and focusing like Panasonic Lumix GH3 but maybe there are other Ipcamera native for astrophotography that could be controlled too.

Best

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics