• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Telescopic

Telescopic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

I came across this site looking for the best deal on the scope I think I will be buying and the prices at this site are insanely low compared to any other vendor, like 1/3 lower. Are they a wholesaler only?

www.star-telescope.com

#2 Zerobeat

Zerobeat

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

It doesn't look like they are wholesale only, but they are based in Indonesia. Shipping costs may be the deal-breaker, here.

#3 Telescopic

Telescopic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Shipping via DHL would only be $77 so I would still save around $500 on the scope I am looking at.

#4 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

What's shipping like from Indonesia?

#5 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Don't know about that site. Haven't seen it mentioned in the last few years and they claim to be around for 10 years.

#6 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I think it is fake. there was a guy on the solar forum that got ripped off by sale-telescope.com

While the sites don't look the same, they look similar and the company address is located in the same town in Indonesia.

I believe the scam was they "accidentally" shipped the buyer 2 scopes, and realized it after it made it into customs, so they couldn't just cancel the order, however they managed to get a hold on it with the shipping company and demanded being paid for both telescopes before they would release the shipment. I don't recalled if the buyer paid, or realized at that point that they were a scam, but I think he was out over a grand.

Almost everything in this hobby has a price set by the manufactures, so unless it's used, refurbished or a show room model, you shouldn't expect to see one seller offer something cheaper than another. Free shipping or rewards memberships or whatnot is another story.

EDIT:
here is the solar post I was referencing, again it's not star-telescope.com but they seem very similar.

http://www.cloudynig...wflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10/Number/5984216/Main/5981819
Jim

#7 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

These prices are too good to be true. An AT111EDT triplet apo for $957? Lunt 60 Double Stack for $1,600? I would definitely tread lightly.

#8 Telescopic

Telescopic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Very interesting about that "sale-telescope.com" site. They are extremely similar, exact same gun scopes which are half the cost compared to here.

Both those sites require BANK TRANSFER so you have little protection IMO if something goes wrong.

Looks like a scam, I'll drop it. Thanks for you help guys.

#9 Tophat3

Tophat3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus,Ohio

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I think Mitch is right. If these guys were for real, the forums would be lit up about them.

These prices are to good to be true.

#10 nwcs

nwcs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

A first place I'd try to look at when evaluating a questionable site is http://www.resellerratings.com

Can be very helpful

#11 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

Everyone should be aware that the mark-up on NEW scopes and accessories is not very high with reputable companies.

#12 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

If they don't take PayPal or Visa (where you can either claim your money back or request a charge reversal), it's a clear sign of potential fraud.

#13 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Both those sites require BANK TRANSFER so you have little protection IMO if something goes wrong.

It's obvious scam. There was a thread this summer, looks like about this company, not sure though. IIRC, one Indonesian guy had asked his friend in Jakarta to check the company and that man found some storage buildings there, but not what the company pretended to be :grin:. BTW, I used the links in that thread and "purchased" some expensive Dall-Kirkham astrograph :lol: ...of course, I used fake info for my "order"...they accepted it and requested my detailed info, especially my bank account details :roflmao:

#14 Telescopic

Telescopic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

I think it is fake. there was a guy on the solar forum that got ripped off by sale-telescope.com

While the sites don't look the same, they look similar and the company address is located in the same town in Indonesia.

I believe the scam was they "accidentally" shipped the buyer 2 scopes, and realized it after it made it into customs, so they couldn't just cancel the order, however they managed to get a hold on it with the shipping company and demanded being paid for both telescopes before they would release the shipment. I don't recalled if the buyer paid, or realized at that point that they were a scam, but I think he was out over a grand.

Almost everything in this hobby has a price set by the manufactures, so unless it's used, refurbished or a show room model, you shouldn't expect to see one seller offer something cheaper than another. Free shipping or rewards memberships or whatnot is another story.

EDIT:
here is the solar post I was referencing, again it's not star-telescope.com but they seem very similar.

http://www.cloudynig...wflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10/Number/5984216/Main/5981819
Jim

Thanks for the link. I will be ordering my scope from Brandon Optics most likely, best part is I could pick it up. :smirk:

#15 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

They are not a dealer of our, so they have zero access to Astro-Tech products. They would be a fake store, run away.

#16 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Is "star-telescope.com" a real company?

No.

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

They are not a dealer of our, so they have zero access to Astro-Tech products. They would be a fake store, run away.

Michael:

Thanks for confirming the fact that this is a fake store. Since Astronomics also owns Astro-Tech, that provides solid information that they are scammers.

It looks to me like they have copied Anacortes Telescopes and Wild Bird site, Buytelescopes.com

This "Star-telescope" site lists some rather rare telescopes and I copied some long phrases from the Star-telescope site and did a google search and the hits are either Star-telescope or Buytelescopes...

Definitely a scam and to be avoided...

Jon

#18 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Interesting. . . I was checking them out earlier this week. The prices were sure a lot lower than everyone else.

It turns out the aphorism "If it seems to be too good to be true, it is." applies.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics