Where to buy a telescope in Florida?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Ruiz

Adrian Ruiz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hey guys. As the title says, I would like to find where to buy a telescope in Florida. I live in Miami so preferably near me. I would like to be able to get a good telescope that would last. I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good. That's why I would like to go to a physical store and try them out.
Please can anybody help me find a good store in Florida where they sell telescopes. Thank you.

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

I don't know if there is a storefront dealer in Florida, but another way to test drive some scopes is to find a local astronomy club and attend one of their public viewing events. Members could also steer you to reputable dealers.

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Buying over the internet can mean many things. Most of the good stuff is also bought via the web from great vendors like Astronomics (our fine sponsor) or from trustworthy sellers here or on places like Astromart. Buying new gives you significant peace of mind and warranty protection- buying used gives you significant savings. Good luck in your searches. We'll be glad to help you (and to help you spend your money).

#4 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good. That's why I would like to go to a physical store and try them out.

It sounds strange to me. I bought all my astro stuff through internet and everything works fine :confused:

Looks like not many places. Try this 3 years old thread Where to Buy a Telescope in Miami or Orlando?

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Brick and Morter scope stores are few and far between; most have closed up as they can't compete with the internet. If you're lucky enough to have one near you....support it. It may cost you a few bucks more for an item....but it's worth it. While others are looking at pics, stats, and our ramblings here...you're picking it up, looking at it, looking thru it, feeling the weight and seeing the craftsmanship (or lack thereof). At the one here, once they know you, they'll "loan" you one of their display eyepieces for a few days to try out. To me, that's worth the few extra bucks it costs me...plus, if something isn't right...I got somewheres to go about it.

#6 Adrian Ruiz

Adrian Ruiz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Brick and Morter scope stores are few and far between; most have closed up as they can't compete with the internet.

Do you know any Brick and Morter scope stores that could be near me or a website that could tell me where is there nearest store to me?

#7 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Go to Celestron's website and their retailer locator. Then type in your zip code. You could try the same with other telescope manufacturers.

It looks like there are a few camera stores near you that carry Celestron. From there, it's a matter of calling each one and figuring out who has the best telescope selection.

If you have a local store, buy from them. Otherwise, they may not be there next time you need them.

#8 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Opticsmart is in northern Alabama, I believe. Their GSO-made Dobs are very nice and they offer more add-ons than anyone else selling the GSO Dobs. Their customer service is tops also, if you need assistance once the scope arrives.

#9 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

As mentioned above check your local Astro-Clubs and test drive
different telescopes to get an idea on what you like in a scope.
Then ask what scopes might be available for sale used.
I live in Naples across the way from you and this is what is available from the westcoast.

p.s. I got my scope from Astronomics and Welcome to CN :-)

Oh yeah, check the Istar Club link in my signature. Mike Hardin from Istar is in Ft. Myers
and might have some scopes in stock for sale.

#10 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

You might want to check out this group. They're located in Weston, FL.

http://www.sfaaa.com/

For what it's worth, I found them by starting HERE:
http://www.cleardark...ida_charts.html

#11 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Do you know what kind of telescope you want to get?

#12 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

You might want to check out this group. They're located in Weston, FL.

http://www.sfaaa.com/

Also, check out the Southern Cross Astronomical Society in Miami-Dade. The SCAS holds its Saturday Nights at Sadowski Park where you can talk club members and probably try out their equipment.

Ed D

#13 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good.

If you could tell us what scopes you tried out (type, brand, etc) and what it was you didn't like maybe we could offer some suggestions.

Ed D

#14 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Wow, can't believe Billy, Mitch, and David haven't posted yet. Lol...

#15 Adrian Ruiz

Adrian Ruiz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

I have tried out telescopes before but everybody I know who owns one, have gotten theres from the internet and they usually aren't that good.

If you could tell us what scopes you tried out (type, brand, etc) and what it was you didn't like maybe we could offer some suggestions.

Ed D

The ones I've tried out are Nipon, Barska and Vivitar. They were all either refractors or reflectors. They got it by either Amazon or eBay. That's all I know about them.

#16 Adrian Ruiz

Adrian Ruiz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Who are they? Just wondering. I'm new to these forums so don't know them.

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

OMG, This explains all the scopes and fancy eyepieces that need correctors and filters, not to mention heavy expesive mounts.....so just where are those Walmart goto AP capeable APO scopes with solid, but light weight carry it all with one hand mount and tripod for under a hundred dollars?

#18 Adrian Ruiz

Adrian Ruiz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

OMG, This explains all the scopes and fancy eyepieces that need correctors and filters, not to mention heavy expesive mounts.....so just where are those Walmart goto AP capeable APO scopes with solid, but light weight carry it all with one hand mount and tripod for under a hundred dollars?

I'm sorry but what are you saying. Just read what you wrote three times and not sure what your trying to say.

#19 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Chicago don't sell telescope so far I know. Shutan Camera was out of business years ago. One Science Store in Chicago sell just basic telescopes. I got 16 inch dobsonian, 5 inch refractor and several eyepieces came from Astronomics. Service and feedback on email from Astronomics is great. They also give you discount because you are Cloudy Nights member! Orion telescopes and Astronomics is all I need for astronomy. Go to Astronomy Club near you is great idea also there have Winter Star Party near Key West!

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm sorry but what are you saying. Just read what you wrote three times and not sure what your trying to say.

SOrry, was in response to the person who said you can't get a good scope over the internet...twas in jest.

#21 jfaust75

jfaust75

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ed D

The ones I've tried out are Nipon, Barska and Vivitar. They were all either refractors or reflectors. They got it by either Amazon or eBay. That's all I know about them.

Ok there is a telescope from the internet and there is a telescope from a good company on the internet.....your friends have had the ones bought from ebay etc.

there is a better solution on the internet: websites like telescope.com (orion) agenaastro.com (agena) telescopes.com (hayneedle which sells celestron and zhumell and others) there is also opticsmart and astronomics(the sponsor for this forum). many many others too.

at one of these places you can order a good telescope and have it shipped to you(im fairly certain there are no telescope stores in Florida that i know of).

i got mine from telescope.com (orion) the back the scope with a good guarantee.

next you need to browse and figure out which scope you want, or ask here and youll get plenty of suggestions

#22 jfaust75

jfaust75

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

Who are they? Just wondering. I'm new to these forums so don't know them.

just a few of the regular posters that also live in Florida.
I also live in Florida

#23 Adrian Ruiz

Adrian Ruiz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Chicago don't sell telescope so far I know. Shutan Camera was out of business years ago. One Science Store in Chicago sell just basic telescopes. I got 16 inch dobsonian, 5 inch refractor and several eyepieces came from Astronomics. Service and feedback on email from Astronomics is great. They also give you discount because you are Cloudy Nights member! Orion telescopes and Astronomics is all I need for astronomy. Go to Astronomy Club near you is great idea also there have Winter Star Party near Key West!

Ok. I'll try to go to an astronomy club later on. Wait a second, are you saying that I can get a discount from Astronomics for becoming a member of this forum. That's awesome :jump: . I'll have to check there website later. I've also checked Orion but I'll like to check out more websites.
For now it seems there aren't any telescope stores in Miami or even in Florida so I'll check websites till I find a store where to buy it.

#24 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Its good to check out a local club - but in the end you are going to get your best selection and more than likely price by going to one of the many online dealers.

#25 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Face to face social interaction is a deal breaker.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics