Loving my Quantum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Got my Quantum 4 out tonight for a quick view of Venus before clouds came in. Really loving this scope. Spent some time cleaning it up and buffing out the whole thing over the long weekend.

Attached Files

#2 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Whats not to Love! :grin:

#3 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

Nice setup you have there. :)

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Viking 1

• Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Looks brand new! They are great scopes. I almost sold mine, but very quickly came to my senses. This is a definite keeper.

V/R

Terry

#5 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

:like:

#6 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

Mike,
Have you had a chance to compare it with scopes of similar quality? Love to hear how it stacks up! Mike in Florida (IAS member too)

#7 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

No, haven't had a chance to do that yet. This is probably one of the best I own. I have a 6" f/10 reflector that I made and that David Groski touched up the figure on that is truly outstanding on planets. I'm really not sure what I would compare it to. I do not know if anyone has a Questar in my club. We have some members with really nice refractors, but I'm not sure if that is a good comparison or not. I picked up an Orion 90mm Mak the week before getting this and I can tell you they are not even close. Our weather is so horrendous right now, I can't even get outside.

I would like to try and take some pictures though it at some point, but not sure how to go about it. I have basically no experience with imaging. I do own one of the entry level Starshoot CMOS cameras that Orion sells. I need to know how to attach it to the scope. I think it needs to go in the hole in the control box. Can someone tell me if there is an adapter that fits that hole that I can buy that has a set screw or compression ring to hold in the camera? I does not seem like you could put much weight back there with out affecting the balance of the scope. Certainly not a DSLR.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics