Photo

My First Time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 animaal

animaal

Lift Off

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

Wow. I saw Jupiter this week. I've spent the last few days with a smile on my face.

I bought my first telescope - a used 8" with 12mm, 20mm, 40mm plossls. The first few days were spent examining the tripod and the various bits, and reading everything I could. I was conscious that if I tried to set it up without knowing enough, I'd damage something.

So on the first night that had gaps in the clouds, I put everything together in the back garden. I couldn't get the finder scope to align. Even with the screws farily tight, I couldn't point it far enough towards the right place. And so I couldn't align the telescope to use the fancy tracking or goto.

So I decided to just take a look at Jupiter. Despite all my reading, for some reason I had it in my mind that eyepieces worked like the eyepieces in binoculars; i.e. you twist them to focus. It took a few minutes to work out that the big knob on the back of the telescope isn't just for some type of obscure mirror calibration.

Unfortunately, because of where and when I set everything up, Jupiter was 10 degrees from the horizon, through the branches of a tree, past a street light and over some neighbours' roofs. Perhaps not ideal. Anyway, I found it using the 40mm eyepiece, and then worked down to 12mm. Wow! I could see Jupiter; two bands and three moons! And the fact that without tracking I could see it moving across the eyepiece was welcome confirmation that Galileo was in fact correct.

I since discovered that the finder scope bracket on the OTA needed adjustment. It's better now, I can't wait for another clear night! I must thank you all, this forum has been an invaluable source of information. I can't imagine how people managed it all before the Internet.

:)

#2 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Well done. It only gets better, you'll see.

#3 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Congrats, pal. Reminds me of seeing Saturn for the first time, only I was eleven-years-old with a 3" Newtonian and plastic eyepieces. That was 1961, and I've been hooked ever since. As said above, it only gets better.

Do you have a 2x Barlow? It will work well with Plossls.

#4 nwcs

nwcs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's addictive, even if you leave it for a while. When I was a kid I used to use my parents' 60mm store bought generic refractor every clear night. Never forgot looking at Jupiter and the moons, Saturn, and trying to see anything else. Never really did get good at it back then but have recently come back to the hobby and am having fun again (except for the weather here, which has been bad lately).

All that to say, enjoy it all! never let a cloudy day get you down.

#5 animaal

animaal

Lift Off

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks.

I haven't got any barlows. I've been thinking about rebuilding the eyepiece set gradually, using Baader Hyperions. But I'll probably stick with what I have for now, until I get a better feel for what works well.

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Great! Let Jupiter rise to a higher point in the sky. The views will blow you away. Of course, collimate your optics and let them reach ambient temperature first.

#7 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks.

But I'll probably stick with what I have for now, until I get a better feel for what works well.

double Well Done. :goodjob:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics