Orion Moon Map 260

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Here is a new laminated lunar map for the field from Orion.

Orion Moon Map 260

Sky and Telescope has a map similar to this. The S&T map has 280 lunar features while the Orion has 260. However, the Orion shows both correct-image and mirror-image maps, while the S&T only has a correct-image.

One more Moon map to collect ... and hopefully use in the field?

Mike

#2 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

What the hey! I just ordered one.

:grin:
Mike

#3 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

• Loc: tacoma wa

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

Looking fwd to hearing what you get...they don't seem too proud of the *size* of it (as in no mention in the ad). Seems quite small scale (looks about 1/4 the scale of S&T's laminated map)..and the use of numbers for features rather than the actual names also hints at this...

#4 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

I also look forward to hearing what you think. I saw it some time back, but I couldn't see any info on its size or its scale and coverage. I'm curious to see how it compares to the Rukl laminated map.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

I think the S&T Rukl laminated map(s) will be superior. But for the S&T Rukl there are two separate, large-scale foldable maps for the correct-image and reversed-image orientations. That's not what I'm comparing the Orion map to.* There is another map from S&T that is much more similar to the Orion map.

Mike

* Ending an English sentence with a preposition makes sense and is becoming acceptable. Why should we follow rules derived from Latin grammar? :thinking:

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

I bought an S&T Laminated Map (not the Rukl maps) a couple years ago. It's only a correct image map. This is different from the S&T Field Maps of the Moon (the Rukl maps). S&T also has a "Mirror Image Moon Map Laminated." A plethora of Moon maps at Sky & Telescope!

Sky & Telescope Maps and Globes

Mike

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Looking fwd to hearing what you get...they don't seem too proud of the *size* of it (as in no mention in the ad). Seems quite small scale (looks about 1/4 the scale of S&T's laminated map)..and the use of numbers for features rather than the actual names also hints at this...

All lunar maps don't need to be at a large scale. For instance, if I'm taking out a little 70mm achromat or 5" Newt to show my daughter a few lunar features, a small scale map is fine as a memory jog. And it's more convenient to have both correct-image and reversed-image maps on the same product.

Mike

#8 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

• Loc: tacoma wa

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

You know, speaking of orientations of Moon maps, it would be kind of nice for publishers to return to the south-up orientation in lieu of north-up (for the non-mirrored presentation)...unless of course their market research indicates those actually buying & using such maps with binoculars, spotting scopes and erecting prisms outnumber those who use astronomical telescopes (which i seriously doubt...).

#9 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

I agree. It just doesn't make sense to have the lunar maps for telescopes in the natural orientation (north up, non-reversed). Which instruments use this orientation? Binoculars, RACI finders, spotting scopes, refractors with Amici prism diagonals. Is a serious lunatic going to observe the Moon with any of these? But I suppose you're right, that market research motivates the publishers to cater to hoi polloi rather than serious observers.

As it stands now, often lunatics with Newts have to learn to read upside down ... or use one of the better lunar atlases on a tablet or laptop that can change orientation on-the-fly.

Though there are a few printed lunar maps that have the south-up format.

Mike

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Here are some lunar atlases with south-up maps:

- Hatfield Photographic Lunar Atlas, Jeremy Cook
- Kleiner Mondatlas, Antonin Rukl
- Discover the Moon, Lecroux & Legrand
- Photographic Atlas of the Moon, Chong et al.
- The Moon and How to Observe It, Peter Grego
- Lunar Field Atlas

Mike

#11 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

Also add the Lunar Field Atlas you can download and print here. http://www.astronomy...pages/moon.html Maybe not as detailed as the best, but very good for small scopes.

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Added! :waytogo:

Mike

#13 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

hi,
i had just ordered a moonmap 260 prior to this forum announcement,how ironic,will go great with my 4'' f 15 skylight refractor,kevin

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Let us know how you like it.

Mike

#15 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

hi,
i have the moonmap 260,it is laminated and has one side standard and one side mirror reversed,i also have the sky and telescopes field map of the moon standard and mirror reversed,both laminated and it folds in four sectors,i like that moon map better than the 260 but nice to have both,kevin

#16 Robbie51

Robbie51

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Could you be just a little more insulting with your remarks?

Binoculars, RACI finders, spotting scopes, refractors with Amici prism diagonals. Is a serious lunatic going to observe the Moon with any of these?

Sorry for not being serious enough for you.
I use binoculars because that is what I can afford currently. I enjoy using them to observe La Luna as well as the rest of the night sky.

But I suppose you're right, that market research motivates the publishers to cater to hoi polloi rather than serious observers.

Again, instead of disguising your condescending remarks about the "hoi polloi" why not just let everyone know that the riff-raff need not apply to your "serious observers" club?

#17 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hi Mike,

I've found the upside down moon to great solve either however. Depending where it is in the ecliptic and its elevation above the horizon it can often appear sideways. Perhaps we need that thingamajig fastener in the middle so we can SPIN the moon to our liking! Ahhh by this point Mike Im so used to flipping maps etc to get the orientation I don't think about. I still have my non raci finder right angle reversing all my starhops - I think I just accept it at this point.

Hi Robbie, Mike means no insult some folks just have their pet peeves with this regard as others have me raised the upside down wish often enough. Actually Ive enjoyed moon observing with my 8x42s where a telescope just isn't applicable for one reason or another. I have liked seeking out the smallest craters and such.

The upside down versus the other is a case by case basis kind if thing that has its supporters and non-fans.

Pete

#18 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I bought S&T's Field Map to the Moon specifically because I use an erect image diagonal with my Intes 815 MCT. I find it easier to refer to the position of features in my observation reports. I do understand why folks may want the other orientation however.

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yes, probably. I guess you haven't read any of my posts about the APers?

Mike

#20 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Yes, probably. I guess you haven't read any of my posts about the APers?

Mike

:too funny: (bummer I can't get that Graemlin to work)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics