No BA, Thankfully

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Sorry, couldn't think of a better title. I missed MA tonight, almost thankfully after the trouble it's been causing. :)

Okay, what a difference conditions make. Tonight was pure Ant I with scattered low clouds. But seeing was so good, I sketched through them. Walked outside with blank piece of paper and came back in with some of the most amazing detail seen to date. Even my girlfriend didn't believe me, and she's seen Jupiter. I almost don't want to post this one, but it was such a nice view. Anyway, it's time for a break for a day or two. This can wear you out, but I'm so happy I got out tonight.

Some highlights. Again, the trailing EZ seems to have a bluish hue to it. Amazingly, there are some arcing blue features way down by the SEB. Paul captured them in a recent sketch, and yep! They are there! :lol: Never seen such a thing.

The NEB is simply a mess with rifts, finger like extensions, and darker shades. The SEB, the same. Man, caught some undulations on the belly of the SEB and a strange bridge like feature near the trailing edge. There seems to be a border trying to from and some lighter areas across the norther edge.

Got a white oval in the south, finally. Not easy, it was just glimpsed a couple times. The north is just beautiful, it's what sparked the sketch a bit earlier than normal - Jupiter on the zenith.

More later, just came in a couple hours ago and wanted to throw this up. It's late her in Asia...real late. I mean, early...I think it looks right. So, good night. (Excuse the dark mask overlay, it's looking kind of rough. Need a new one, maybe reapply it tomorrow.)

Edit: 10 Dec 1630UT, Sys I 67, Sys II 70, seeing Ant I and transparency good at 240x (with 8mm TMB II)

Attached Files

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

The voids or rifts in the belts are tantalizing. I can imagine (winter in ct you imagine how good it could be lol) how this conveyed through 1 Ant. - it must've been something to behold.

That bridge emanating from the SEBs south edge is odd! I get it - it makes sense doing what it is there - but I've never seen that myself. That's a rare find - again for me. Looks like an SEB festoon kickers up into the north temp zone. Very captivating.

The wash of festoon greys on the following EZ is a curious thing as well. This looks to be a real wildcard area - it can go either way - I still recall vividly a sulphur EZ in 87 - nice pungent yellow grey. Then that frothy white a couple years ago and now the festoon grey spreading about liberally like that.

What keeps coming back to me here are those slices through the NEB. Looks like the kind if detail that makes the night.

Pete

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

I dunno, this one was more like the ones from last year living up north when seeing was often Ant I. Those rifts are easier to see. Yea, not sure what to make of that bridge like structure, need to see it on an image. It could simply be an undulation in the SEB with some brighter cloud above it. Yes, those festoon fragments, or whatever they are, in the EZ south are fascinating, as is the faint blue hue in that area. Man, it was a great night. Seeing and vis were very good.

I am tempted to open a bed and breakfast for star gazers for those who want to make the trip. Gonna need a nice refractor and a big Newt to round out the equipment for use. Man, it simply rocked last night, best night this season. When seeing really is that good, you wait out the clouds. Simple.

Here's a day old image by Jean Jacques Poupeau from ALPO Japan. It's a bit more rotated, that dark feature in the north never rotated into view. It shows the rifting and the SEB is pretty much spot on with the darker core running south and the white clouds along the north. That bridge like feature must be that indentation in the southern SEB, but the undulation is nice.

Trying to make out what's going on in the NEB. His image does not show that short dark feature in the north with two lighter spots below it (and above the much lighter STropZ). That may have been a mach band illusion, but it was seen regardless. Another suspected illusion is that bright spot I keep seeing in about the same location near the preceding limb just north of the NEB. Hmmm...what is that.

#4 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

I really like your drawings of Jupiter ! :waytogo:

#5 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

Norme,
Really nice work. Very nice detail. I went out last night in the early night to cold and wind with bad seeing.

Ken

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thank you, Tamas, nice to see you posting your sketches, too. Just visited your M42 evolution. Well done.

Ken, man, I feel for you in the cold, wind, and bad seeing. Been there, done that. Er, well, no I didn't. :lol: (Actually, yea, I've done that a few times in North Dakota, but not in Iceland nor Greenland.)

#7 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Just beautiful, Norme... Words fail me but yours are some of the best Jupiter sketches I've ever seen. Keep it up!

Peter

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Gosh, Peter, I'm beside myself in a good way. A thousand thank yooze. :)

There is an excellent rendition in the planetary forum. Its inspiring.

#9 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Well not to embarrass you any further Norme, but I agree with Peter.... :bow:
Randolph

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :),

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

I can only :bow: in return. It was a very nice night and it took a lot of work just to get it half way descent. Thank you.

#12 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Wow, Norme! The white streaks in the NEB...! Amazing!

#13 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Norme,

So far this is my favorite sketch of yours. The intricate fine details are really cool.

Dean

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thank you Dean, the seeing this night was superb. It's amazing what one notch up the Antionadi seeing scale can do. Those finer details are so much easier to work with. :)

#15 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Norme,

You are on fire. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

I am? Oh *BLEEP*, drop and roll! Drop and roll! Sorry, feeling giddy. :)

Thanks, Frank. Trying to keep pace with Andre.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics