• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zambonikane

zambonikane

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Chester PA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey everyone! I am a high school science teacher (Chem and Bio mainly), however I have a strong interest in the geo and space sciences (my masters is in Geoscience). Our district is in an affluent western suburb of Philadelphia, and despite our ranking as one of the top districts in the country, our curriculum is woefully deficient in Earth and Space science. For years, I would often go off on tangents about cosmology and astronomy and the kids all are enthralled by the topic. Because of this, a few kids got together and formed an astronomy club and I volunteered as the club sponsor. We have had a couple of outings where we would look at Saturn, M42, Jupiter, and the moon, but I hate lugging my equipment (an 8 inch reflector on a computer controlled Atlas mount) to and from school. It takes about an hour to set up, about 15 min to take down, and due to its design, can be awkward to view through. Ideally, I would like to have a dome on school property that can be controlled remotely, and during meetings, we could plan imaging sessions followed by image processing, but I just don't see how we could fund a project like that (assuming we get the go ahead from the district). Does anyone have advice about raising money for their own clubs? We can host a bake sale, but that would probably net us a couple of hundred dollars a year at most. There are a number of tech companies within a few miles from our school, mainly pharma, but there is a Lockheed Martin facility that has generously donated to our Science Olympiad team in the past. Would I be out of line to solicit donations from local companies? Any input would be very welcome!
Thanks
Mike

#2 ghostofthesky

ghostofthesky

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

If there is a local astronomy club, start by announcing your intentions there.

Ask if you can be a speaker at one of the star parties and tell them that you'd like to talk about funding this school project, and hopefully they will allow you to do that. It's just a start.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics