Jupiter Sketch 12/11/13

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Here's a recent sketch of Jupiter with the GRS and the following turbulence.

12/11/13 6:45 - 7:20 UT

CMI 248.62 CMII 246.96 CMIII 43.12

171x Apodizing Screen 10" f/6 Newtonian

Seeing 2.5 Transparency 5 Santa Cruz, CA

Notable features:

The GRS has a pronounced red color and seems to be more vivid than last years apparition. In the GRS itself there is a darker potion in the center with the darker portion being in the southern part. North of the GRS a lighter area wraps around it extending into the turbulence that follows the GRS.

The SEB prominent feature on this side is the turbulence that follows the GRS. This turbulence consists of oval cells lined up extending almost across the entire side. There is an especially bright oval that terminates the turbulence and it's at this point that the SEB is very dark following it. The SEB appears bicolored at this point with the dark potion on the north side.

The EQZ has festoons some being garlands that form an entire arch. The festoons extend from dark bluish festoon bases. These were also seen in last years apparition.

Barges are absent from the NEB this apparition, (from what I've seen). Last apparition there were some large dark ones but they seem to have expired.

The NTB seems to have mellowed and is not as vivid this year.

Let me know if these observations agree with yours. I'm looking forward to more good views of Jupiter and want to observe Oval BA, WSZ,LRS and others weather permitting.

Dean

Attached Files

#2 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Nice rendition of the GRS. I recently noticed those color variations inside of it. The 'eye' of the storm.

#3 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Very nice Dean!

Now that ISON fever has passed, maybe we can get down to this Jupiter apparition. The turbulence following the GRS is quite amazing; I've seen some notable turbulence in the SEB preceding the GRS as well, such that, combined with that following the GRS, the whole shebang extends over nearly the entire length of this side of the planet. The wedge-like coloration following the oval cells is also prominent. On the "other side" of the planet, there have been a series of garlands, beginning with the one you've drawn; one of these is really tremendous, very thick, with prominent blue bases.
I agree, the NTB is somewhat faint, but well separated now from the NPR. And you make a good observation of the GRS itself.

Seeing has been a bit poor in the recent cold weather, but I had some good views back in november, I think it was. I've been using mainly my 12.5-inch f/6, which cools more rapidly than the big scope.

Thanks for posting--great work as always.

-George

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Seriously Dean, you do some beautiful work. Nice to see your work again and in too form. Both belts very interesting for different reasons.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Dean, good to see you. Hey nice description of Jupiter, especially how that especially bright oval seems to 'terminate' the wake. It certainly does fade away afterward with darker cloud trailing.

Yes, the NTB has mellowed into a darker hue at about this meridian near the GRS. The entire NPR looks like a giant tan hood, though some variations can be seen (as George said.) But you will see some of it in full glory on the opposite side.

Hey, you gotta try oval BA, man. I find it extremely difficult compared to last year. I nearly blew an eyeball trying to see it.

Festoons, yes, I've seen some looping, too. I wonder if it's an illusion. Some festoons are well defined with tails extending far into the EZ. Some are not as well defined with more of a faint blue haze above them. Some portions of the EZ seem to have an expanse of faint blue hue, see if you can notice this (and confirm the appearance.) Last year it had a tawny hue, this year not as pronounced, IME, but that faint blue hue does seem to show especially where the festoons are not as well defined.

Yes, your description matches well with my own. Cheers...

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

Looks good, thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

#7 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. It is good to have some good views of Jupiter again.

Nirvanix,

The eye of the storm is a good way to describe the GRS' appearance. I wonder whatnwe developments might occur there?

George,

I was experiencing ISON fever. It was a dissapointment when it disinigrated. But as you said the weather has impacted on the seeing for Jupiter.
I'm looking forward to seeing the other features you mentioned. On the other sides.

Pete,

The two main belts are so different and it's interesting to see the changes they undergo. I do find the NEB harder to depict than the SEB.

Norme,

Oval BA sounds challenging. I hope I'll be able to see it. Yes the festoons do loop and if it's an illusion I've succumbed! I've never seen the blue haze in the EQZ, but it sounds very cool. I'll look for that as well.

Rich,

Thank you very much.

To All,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post and others I have posted in the past.
I want to apologize for not being active lately in the forums. The forums here on CN are important to me. I have been remiss in acknowledging the work of others here that have posted, and realize I need to give back to the many people who have shared their knowledge and encouragement.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Dean

#8 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Excellent observing Dean. I See the different colouration within the GRS with my 6 inch refractor, and those festoons sure are great.

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Dean,

Very fine sketch and detailed observation. Your rendering of the GRS and its wake, the festoons, and the appearance of both main belts is excellent.

Oval BA might be easier to see if one employs filters to enhance the contrast--something to try anyway.

I haven't looked at Jupiter with a telescope yet--waiting on the weather. Good to see your work. :)

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

Dean, I look forward to your next observation. Get some eye drops for BA. :grin:

#11 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

Rutilus,

Thank you very much. Jupiter is putting on a great show once again Your 6" refractor sounds like a excellent scope.

Michael,

Thank you. I will try a filter on Oval BA. That's a good idea. May you have good weather soon. I'm looking forward to your fine sketches and observations.

Dean

#12 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Dean,
This is some excellent work. You captured a great deal of detail. We are sure getting some excellent Jupiter views this year.

Ken

#13 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Dean, I especially like all the detail in the NEB and SEB. :waytogo:

Ed D

#14 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ken and Ed,

Thank you so much. We are getting some fine views of Jupiter. Opposition is coming up, 5th of January. Every second of arc it grows helps to see those fine details. It's fun to sketch when the seeing provides a good view.

Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics