10mm TeleVue Delos.....Soon....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

Going to be getting a 10mm TV Delos very soon! It's ordered and on the way. I had the 6mm Delos, but for some reason, I found the 7mm XW a bit more easy to use.

10mm TeleVue Delos

Is the 10mm Delos a different beast than the 6mm? Did they fix the disc thingy on the bottom from falling off?

Should be nice when it arrives along with a brand new 5mm Vixen LVW. I know the prices of the 5mm LVW are much cheaper used, but I prefer to get eyepieces brand new now, which I just did for the 10mm Delos as well. If I think the 5mm Vixen LVW doesn't hold up to the 10mm TV Delos, I'll let go of the 5mm LVW and pick up another 6mm TV Delos , or a 4.5mm TV Delos !!!

A bunch of us are also going to do a shootout between the 10mm Pentax XW and 10mm TV Delos of mine when it arrives!

Looking forward to them arriving close to just after my birthday! (Dec/ 15th)

Cheers! :jump: It's off to work I go now! Time to help customers and stock some more shelves for Xmas! :jump:

#2 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

When I use my 6mm after my 10mm, the only change I understand is that of magnification.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

My 6mm Delos tromped all over my ES100 5.5 on the moon...wasn't even a contest....

#4 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Define "tromped" in this context. More details, please.

:grin:
Mike

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

The Delos was much sharper across the fov then the ES5.5. The background sky was black in the Delos, and more a dark grey in the ES. Same with the moon itself. The Delos showed a bit more fine detail (crater rim ridges, etc), and had broader shades of contrast. The ES was sharp out to about the last 3-4*, where the coma slightly "bent" the object as it went out of the fov. No paracorr was used. Now, to be certain, it was cold, my scope OTA, Telrad were frosted over from the cold and humidity (we almost never get frost here) from setting outside only a couple of hours. I was also dealing with a ton of light pollution (four street lights on the corner with the moon just above them). I think the ES will make a good DSO eyepiece, but feel it's not going to do as well on planets/lunar. Also, the eye relief on the ES is tight, eylash territory tight. It did take a minute to find the right "spot" on both eyepieces. Obviously, due to the eye relief, the Delos was more comfortable to view thru. I'm still witholding any judgement on the ES due to the horrible conditions it was "tested" under. Hopefully, we will have some decent weather come the new moon to get it out to the dark site (live in an UltraWhite zone) and really try it out. In another thread I compared the views as the delos was like standing outside looking at the moon and the ES was like staniding indoors looking at the moon thru a clean window. That could have been due to the light pollution too.

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks. :grin:

I'm still holding on to my Delos 4.5 and Delos 6. My XW's and LVW left the stall in direct competition with my Leica ASPH. I need more sky time with the Delos to determine if they will stay or leave.

So far I've reduced my active eyepiece collection to a mere 55 members. That's progress from over 160 last year!

Mike

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

I was actually very impressed with the Delos...all of them that I have. This was my "first light" with the 6mm as I had just picked it up a couple of days before the ES arrived. I got the Delos to fill in those "spots" in the XW line, especially at higher mags....and that, they do well. I am fully satisfied with the Delos lineup that I have. Depending on the night, I now have a nice 70ish* set, an 82*, and a 100*, with some nice 68* thrown in for good measure. I also have various other orthos, NLVs, etc for planetary as well as use on the tracking scope....I only have about 50 eyepieces, but try to be careful what I buy.

#8 bakerrihan

bakerrihan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Amman, jordan

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

does tv delos 10mm and 17.3mm comes into focus with vixen bt81s-a , vixen bt 125a and apm 100ed semi apo any help please

#9 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Delos 10mm will have the same focuser position as the Televue plossls 32mm and shorter (since they have the same field stop position) while Delos 17.3 will need the focuser racked in another 0.5 inch.

#10 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Still no word yet on here about the 10mm Delos with the bottom ring falling off. Do the newer 10mm Delos eyepieces come without that ring that fell off of some of the 10mm versions?

http://www.cloudynig...5079995/page...

If it comes with the ring, should I remove it?

:question:

#11 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have the 6, 8 and 10, and the bottom ring/disc on each all look slightly different to take into acount the smaller lens. The rings on each eyepiece appear to be attached to the lens. So certainly no way to remove the ring as it appears to be integral to the design of the eyepiece. I bought all my Delos about 6 months ago, so the 10 I have may be an update on the original.

#12 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

Mark, I just read through the thread you linked, and my 10 does appear to be the same as the 10 that started the thread about the disc falling off. I had another look at mine and still can't believe it could come off, but obviously it's possible.

A bunch off us compared my 10 Delos and a 10 XW on the Trapezium. It was split 50/50 as to which eyepiece was easier to use as far as eye placement goes, but everyone, even the Pentax owners, thought the Delos had the better image. The six stars visible in my 12" looked tighter and were split nicely. The Pentax looked less sharp and contrasty in comparison. Just an observation on one target though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics