WEird clutch issue?
Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:16 PM
Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:29 PM
I am sorry. Maybe you can buy the gear and replace it yourself. Turn this into a "you can fix anything moment".
All the best. I feel for yah.
Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:32 PM
Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:54 PM
Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:58 AM
Best of luck to you. Please post your results.
Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:45 PM
I've dealt with Celestron warranty issues a couple of times before and they seem pretty good about it. Opening the scope should not be a problem. The thing about Celestron's warranty service is that it is s-l-o-w.
First thing - did you order directly from Celestron? If not, you may want to contact the retailer and work through them. They may be able to provide a replacement for you. Otherwise, you'll have to pack and ship it, wait for the Celestron service to be complete, and get it shipped back. It can take several months.
Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:41 PM
To fix it I had to loosen drive gear set screw, pull teh drive gear down and clean off the sharp points on the slave gear. It got reassembled and worked just fine. . Was a bit weird getting my first polar alignment, I'm able to do it a little faster. cord pulled out once and power wire movement killed power twice. . once AI got the new camera software installed and got the camera running the cold started to frost over all my optics. . .so I said screw it it's 1 am and I'm packing it in. . .wasn't the best seeing conditions any way. moon + slight freezing fog = bad views.
You guys nailed it on what went wrong (the long bolts) I'm gonna grab some shorter ones so I don't have to use so many washers. Anyone know the weight capacity of this mount? I guess I could get a larger scope, maybe just a this wedge is sturdy as can be. (I know there are weight restrictions on how much load the drive gears can handle)
Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:16 PM
Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:40 PM
Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:23 PM
Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:23 PM
Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:31 PM
Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:47 PM
With the mount off the tripod, slew until the drive gear is over one of the holes and use that to test for depth.
I made sure that the bolts didn't bottom out with no washers, then I put a washer in.
Bad design IMO.
Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:33 PM
Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:45 PM
If therefore, we choose to deviate from the original 'scope's specified intended use, of which, as result of our decision, requires known or unknown elements of re-construction, surely we, initially and ultimately, become responsible for any such variant project we alone design and thus all and any consequences associated with it ?
Just one guy's opinion,
Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:27 PM
Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:54 PM
Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:51 PM
You guys rocked on the trouble shooting, and after opening it up if this ever becomes an issue, I can always see if I can buy the gears.
Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:29 PM
Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:23 PM
Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:03 AM
Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:06 AM
On the one hand, Celestron sells the SE line of scopes as a turn key system, and it works as designed. It really isn't sold as a general purpose mount to placed on a variety of bases such as tripods, piers, wedges, etc. So when a user does so, he's on his own to make sure he doesn't damage anything in the process.
On the other hand, this reminds me of something that I learned in user-interface design for software. Often times a user interface provides a message or indication that user has done something wrong so he can correct it. But a far better design is one that makes it difficult or impossible for the user to do the wrong thing in the first place.
In this case, it would have been a fairly simple thing to design the base of the mount to make it impossible for this kind of error to occur in the first place. The fact that this kind of serious damage can occur simply by screwing a bolt into an existing hole is not at all obvious to the user. If you use the mount in any way other than in the original system, it is extraordinarily easy for this kind of error to occur.
Bottom line, Celestron is not technically liable for the damage that occurred. But they do share the responsibility by creating a poor design that allows this kind of damage to occur far too easily.
Just my 2 cents.
Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:36 PM