Jupiter 13 December

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

I apologize for the new template, the colors are still a bit off especially in the NEB. Working it. Not sure why I decided to turn Jupiter upsidue down and make it larger, something to do, maybe. Needed a new template, anyway. :)

Another Jupiter thread put the determination of a life time in and inspired me. I wasn't gonna sketch at all, just try hard as heck to see if LRS-1 could be seen. It was pretty much on the meridian. After about 10 minutes, there it was. Sure enough anyway. Well, I decided to sketch the moment, and I am so happy I did.

Gosh, where to start? The southern region was rather bland, let's start there and work north. The preceding limb the SSTeB was a bit lighter. I suspect that might have been those 3 ovals, haven't checked yet. (Edit: Just checked, yes those three ovals were in that vicinity.) The SSTeB was relatively dark and undefined with one white oval just seen. The SSTeZ was thin but distinct.

The STrZ was pretty featureless with a very faint trace of the STrB and some very faint, undefined darker cloud preceding the GRS. The southern half is distinctly brighter.

Okay, the SEB is always kind of difficult to pull features from. There was a whitish cloud near the preceding limb. However, along the southern SEB border, there were some faint undulations and the belt seemed to fade into another lighter cloud streak leading into the preceding limb. Those undulations were pretty cool. Interestingly, there does seem to be a soft blueish grey border forming just preceding the GRS. The white cloud feature looping over the GRS was interesting as it seemed more extended south. Now, the GRS itself was interesting. For a long time been trying to lock down the pattern of changing dark and lighter features. It does appear the southern edge is a bit darker as is the center. So, if called to lock it down, that's it.

Well, what can one say about the entire EZ. Again, there seems to be a predominate faint blue hue extending from the trailing limb. It's less obvious nearer the preceding limb. I'd really appreciate others confirming that. The zone itself was awash with alternating blue streaks and white features. It almost seems as if some of that festoon wash is forming along the EB. Quite beautiful and complex when the seeing settles and Jupiter burns into your retina.

The NEB seemed to have less pronounced undulation at this longitude. But it is distinctly darker along the EZ border and lighter across the northern edge. On the preceding limb was a particularly bright streak of cloud and one rift coming in under that festoon near center. Near the central meridian was a distinct cut in the northern limb with a faint extension protruding into that indention. You know what? I thought it might be one of those finger like extensions. It turns out to be WSZ! I didn't even realize it. So, that's what it looks like, eh? Yea, happy to have undertaken this sketch. Man, who would have expected to spot WSZ? Purely by accident, I assure you. :lol:

Now, the north. The reason I know the above object was WSZ is because I was so focused on LRS-1. Checking the meridian fro LRS-1, I noticed WSZ was just south. But, the whole purpose of this sketch was to observe and record LRS-1, darn it. It was going to be very difficult, and it proved to be. But, if you look closely, there it is trailing that darker cloud feature in the NNTeB! I'll be darned, it was a great find. Wow.

Lastly, and really fascinating to me, are those undulations in the NTeB just south of LRS-1. I had no idea, but they turn out to be a quite beautiful cloud feature. Truly, I was amazed and just so happy to have undertaken a sketch to document LRS-1. There was so much more to be seen because of the hunt for that elusive northern oval.

What a great night, thanks for sharing.

Seeing Ant II, System II ~180, System II ~160, 13 Dec 1630UT. Magnification used 174x, UO 18mm HD Ortho w/1.6x Celestron shorty Barlow.

Edit: After further review, two features seem misplaced in the sketch. Can you spot them? No, not WSZ or LRS-1. :) Maybe they rotated some, but I doubt it. Just hard sometimes to place a fleeting feature, but the other more prominent one is just off. Hmmm... :lol:

Attached Files

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Norme this is a new level of detail seeing in the EZ. Really complex play of contrasts here. Its actually off the chart. I gotta get running - ill comment late. That EZ is really amazing.

Pete

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Lol seriously this is a complex piece Norme.

Pete

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Pete, when the air freezes solid, Jupiter etches herself into your retina. It happens a few times during the observation and thats when the EZ explodes. I only wish you were here to share it.

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Oh Ive seen that - but not in a long time! Lol - like the last time Jupiter was a summer object! And when it materializes its gazongas! Clearly you've been seeing the show - I truly envy your views. When those normally fairly blank areas kick my pulse quickens. That said my pulse has been rather calm :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You've really out done yourself here - this is cutting edge and testament to the power of medium aperture when things line up. I'm considering the extensive work you've done on your Mak too.

What's really groundbreaking here is you've got indications of a pale gentle festoon from the SEB 's northern edge at the CM . This is a HARD capture visually as normally everything juts out from the south NEB edge. Looks like you have threshold indications of at least one such SEB festoo here blended into a broad swath .

One for the books Norme. Clearly.

Pete

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yea, so you've seen that galvanizing effect during those moments of perfect seeing. Yea, man, so much jumps out at you. It's amazing how even low contrast EZ tightens up nicely. But, you're right, most of the time it's much more difficult.

Not sure what's going on with that festoon like structure bending back from the EZ. It appears simply to be some festoon that went too far south and may be driven by winds in the EZs. I think this is what is giving the EZ that faint blue tint, a bunch of unresolved festoon activity.

Thank you, Pete and Tom. It was a great night, actually.

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hi Norme,

But again - Norme - its been years . Being where it is in the ecliptic - it may well be a while longer still. Ahhh - I could luck out - but getting 9-10 Pickering in winter for me is like winning the lottery.

I am enjoying your work here .

Pete

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Nice work, Norme. I like the way you've rendered the festoons along the NEBs and extending into the Equatorial Zone. Loads of other detail, too--this is a nice observation.

One suggestion--if you're going to put south up, you might as well flip the drawing horizontally and put preceding/west to the left to give the "classic" view.

You have been producing so many Jupiter sketches it's hard to keep up with them. But all those back to back observations certainly give you a context to observe in. :)

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ed, the flip is done on the template and black overlay mask ready for next time. Just gonna leave this one. You're right, it should flip east to west. It's kind of awkward, though, but what the heck.

Yes, absolutely, being familiar with and observing Jupiter frequently certainly helps. Thank you for saying so. Jupiter is a passion, if not an obsession. How do you tell the difference? :lol:

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Norme - not to detract from a great rendering - how's Ganrmede been through these observations of late?

Pete

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Fewer crisp views, Pete. A bit less than before. Seeing here hits better than 8, si far, less often. It hovers around 7, maybe jyst enough to rob Ganymede of its fine detail. Maybe should look at it and see.

#13 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Norme,
Your sketches just get better and better. Nice reporting as well.

Ken

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ken, thanks for reading it, try to keep it short sometimes. It was an exciting evening, and it just got better.

#15 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Norme,
Keep at it you are on a roll! You are getting great detail with your MAK. Goes to show its the observer not super large aperture.

Ken

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

Sure, aperture is important, but a lot can be done is modest apertures. More so its the seeing and the determination. You gotta want it, be patient, and maybe even have an unhealthy level of obsession to sit there upwards of an hour. :lol:

Cooled, collimated, in descent conditions, and determination. That's the ticket. Exactly. Spot on, Ken.

My girlfriend looks at Jupiter briefly, she see's primarily the main features and does not believe me when I show her what she missed. :)

#17 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

I agree it's the time and dedication of watching, I can't even see the Moon tonight it's so cloudy 6 inches of snow and clouds for days. Winter in the Northeast is not the friend of the Astronomer.

Ken

#18 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Norme, there's not much for me to relate to regarding the features, since I haven't seen Jupiter at the eyepiece for days now. I fear I am missing a great show. I am thankful for you and others to keep those of us with unsettled winter skies in the loop.

As for the new revamp, WOW! The colors and subtleties are represented better than ever. I love the accuracy of the hues in the NPR. At least that is how my eyes see it.

Best of all is the superb dynamic representation of the activities in the EZ. Bravo to the beautiful festoons. That is almost exactly as I see them. You have really outdone yourself, Norme. I am quite impressed, bro. :waytogo:

#19 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Jason, I am happy they came out almost as you see them. That's the greatest compliment one can hear. Yea, the NPR is a little rusty, more so than the SEB to my eye. It's just not as rusty as I portrayed it as seen in a modest aperture. Maybe it's closer to that hue in a larger aperture.

Hey man, when the snow clears... :)

#20 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

I sketched Jupiter the same evening and found the GRS as dark as never before. I could be glimpsed easily at the edge of the planet. Time was 20:20h UT, I used my 32 cm Dobsionian at 144x.

Attached Files

#21 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Another great sketch Norme that I can enjoy whilst I wait for the clouds to go........

#22 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

Norme, your sketches and observed detail of Jupiter are amazing. But, what really is amazing is the relatively modest equipment you use for those results. :bow:

Ed D

#23 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Guys, thank you. A lot of the credit goes to relatively good seeing with Jupiter on the zenith even in a modest aperture (which is amazing to me, as well.) It takes some effort to tease out all the detail from the relatively small disc at 174x. Over half hour or so, the paper sketch fill up with glimpses of this and that and notes until everything is there. Then another 15 minutes or so observing the trailing limb details, further rotated from the limb since the sketch began, helps finish it off. It's always a pleasure, so much so it's become an obsession. :)

#24 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

OBSESSION!!!

Cologne for astronomers - its smells of ammonia and methane. Coming soon to a farm near you!

Pete

#25 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yea, I guess it's almost OCD level obsession. Hard time imaging Jove reeks of farm animal droppings, though. Maybe it does. :lol:

Man, talk about living with OCD, one weather chart says clear tonight, two others say clouds and rain. The visible loop doesn't show any disturbance coming this way. It's pretty clear out right now, in the AM, and the seeing is supposed to be stellar tonight. Gaaa! What does the future hold, and how is one to cope with these unknowns? Despite the predictions, I'm betting on clear weather...gonna cool the scope around 7PM and wait to see what develops. Been a few days since the skies have been doable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics