Jupiter 12/14/2013 - not the usual post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Last night it was pretty clear and I was observing Jupiter in my back yard. :dob: I noticed two of the moons close to the planet on either side and realized a transit was going to begin soon. My younger daughter, the astrophysicist in the making, came outside and asked what I was looking at. I told her and she asked me "Can I look?" Well, I never got that scope back. So, I went back in the house and brought out my strut Dob. Then, my older daughter came outside.

I ended up observing most of Io's transit through my 70mm achro. :refractor: If only every dad should be so lucky! ;)

Ed D

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Lol - isnt that great!!!!! I pride myself on having my daughter see Jupiter at age 3!!!

Sounds like a rewarding evening.

Pete

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Great story, Ed. Thats how my father got me started by observing the moon. I was floored. Still am. Thats a life long memory they will have of you.

#4 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Love that, gave me a good laugh. You're blessed, Ed. My daughters will come out and have a bit of a look from time to time, but I never lose my scope to them.

-geo

#5 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Last night could parlay into a future Nobel prize. :)

When I was in high school we had a greasy pimply kid who was always going on about outer space. Well now he's an award winning astrophysicist at University of British Columbia!

#6 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Last night it was pretty clear and I was observing Jupiter in my back yard. :dob: I noticed two of the moons close to the planet on either side and realized a transit was going to begin soon. My younger daughter, the astrophysicist in the making, came outside and asked what I was looking at. I told her and she asked me "Can I look?" Well, I never got that scope back. So, I went back in the house and brought out my strut Dob. Then, my older daughter came outside.

I ended up observing most of Io's transit through my 70mm achro. :refractor: If only every dad should be so lucky! ;)

Ed D

Had the same thing when I bought my used 18" Obsession. I somehow managed to get a clear night the first night I had it home. I wanted to show Saturn to my 6 year old son who had only spent about 30 seconds looking at anything in my C11. Well, he had a look and went "WOW". Then he asked how to move the scope himself and learned to track Saturn at 200x. He was using the telrad when he got off target to recenter it.

So 1 hour later I have to beg him, "Son, can I please have a look through the telescope?" :D My wife even said it was worth the price of the big telescope to see him so interested!

#7 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Kevdog, I had to laugh when I read your post. It's great, isn't it?

Ed D

#8 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

Ed,

What a special night. A memory you'll have forever. I enjoy it when my son observes with me. Often we look at planets but he enjoys a variety of things. I remember his first view of the double star Albiero. He was blown away by the color of these stars. Time spent under the stars together is a unique way to bond.

Thanks for sharing. Dean

#9 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

I saw Europa transit Jupiters surface at around the 7:30pm time frame, PST in calif. At just after 12:pm, I started watching the GRS Transit the Jovian Surface till after 2am. It was pretty fun. Had my denkmeiers in my TOA at about 200x, The conditions were 5/5 for seeing, just beautiful!!

...Ralph

#10 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hi Ed,

My 14 and 11 year old boys will stay out with me and view; it's one of my best feelings. The older boy likes to compare what I see in the eyepiece with what he sees. The younger one, believe it or not, is a double star nut. He thinks they are the coolest things up there. He uses the Telrad on the 10" dob and just steals the scope, checking out every star he can see in the Telrad to see if it is a double or not. It is a riot to observe with them both.

The older boy likes OC's the best, but really likes everything a lot, kinda like I do.

I never saw a kid (lately) who loves doubles like the 11 year old, though.

Great post!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics