• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BigJustice

BigJustice

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fayetteville, NC

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Well, my new/first scope arrived on Friday. My wife asked me this afternoon when I was going to bring it out. Apparently she was as excited as I was. After about an hour, I had it all put together. It could have been done faster but I am rather slow and deliberate. I got the scope collimated with the included laser and got my finderscope adjusted. Everything was A-OK.

My favorite thing to view with my naked eyes is Venus. I figured that would be a good first shot. I loved it. My wife, she was less than impressed. After convincing her to go the larger route, I was afraid I was in trouble.

I then decided to just take a gander at the moon. This was what I needed. Here was her "Oh wow!" moment. Afterwards, we just took some views of brighter objects. Unfortunately my charts did not arrive at the same time as my scope so it was a bit of, "Let's see what that looks like."

A lot of what he got a kick out of was just pointing into apparent blackness and counting the points of light we could see. Not much of a guided tour but a success none the less.

As it all kind of happened on the spur of the moment, I did not have time to really plan a tour. Hopefully my books will be here in a few days and I can plan some Christmas viewing with my girls. My wife is excited to share it with them. Hopefully she can keep quiet another week until Christmas.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase. Opticsmart has been wonderful to work with. There have been only minor issues and the customer service is amazing. I cannot more highly recommend them.

I've got tons to learn and am eager to introduce my girls to everything. Thanks to everyone here that helped guide my purchase.

#2 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Congratulations on your new scope! An 8 inch dob such as the Apertura is a very decent quality instrument. I have it's "cousin" the Zhumell Z12.

You can download Stellarium software for free to your computer if you haven't already. It can be helpful in showing you objects up in the night sky. Also you might wish to consider Sky Safari Plus or Pro for a very reasonable price that you can download for iPhone or Android smart phones. Very useful when outside. Good luck and enjoy!

Gary

#3 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Great first light! While you're waiting for your charts there are great free options available online.

Sky Maps

Mag-7 Star Atlas Project

Deep Sky Hunter Star Atlas

Messier Finder Charts

Enjoy your new scope with your family!

#4 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Try Jupiter at 10pm.

#5 TheObserver

TheObserver

Ranger 4

• Loc: Light Polluted, NY

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

well let start welcoming you to CN and congrats on your new scope.

if you have a smartphone theres plenty of chart app for free like
Skeye and Google Sky Map
helps you navigate the night sky

#6 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Get a Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas, which can be held in one hand while you work the telescope with the other. There are enough objects in it to keep you occupied for years, and most are good ones for an 8-inch. You and your family can use it to star hop right to objects under good sky conditions. Great first light, just wait until you take it to a dark area to look at galaxies and nebulae.

Taras

#7 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

+1. You speak the truth. The PSA is a superb tool. I use mine as an informal log of which objects I've found. I just write the object's # in the margin, aligned with its spot. The PSA has several great indexes in the back to cross reference the Caldwell, Messier, and NGC catalogs.
My buddy and I will sometimes pick a chart and declare war, so to speak. We will try for every DSO on the page, depending on the chart and the amount of time we can spend.

#8 markdavid

markdavid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hello Big Justice and congrats on your new Apertura AD8.
Your first notes about it were promising.
I ordered the same telescope about 3 days ago and expect it any day now.
My first telescope was a Celestar-8 and I was thrilled with what you can see with that sized mirror.
I wanted sometime that would be equally nice for planets and DSOs as well.
My 13.1 Dob is just too big to deal with as often as I'd like so I'm looking forward to something much lighter.
I'll write when I get first light from it.
Mark

#9 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

Congrats on your new scope and welcome to CN.

#10 Abhat

Abhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Middletown, MD

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Congratulations!!! I have its cousin Z8 and its great. Great bang for the buck. I would suggest a Telrad. That coupled with included 8X50 RA, finding objects in the sky is very quick process.

#11 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nice report. Show your wife and girls Jupiter. Show them M42 and some double stars. There are a lot of brighter, impressive objects that they will enjoy.

#12 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Congratulations on the new scope. I had an ad10 and miss it!! Should have kept it but needed the room! Excellent optics IMHO !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics