Seek expert advice

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mahabrahma

Mahabrahma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hi! I am new to cloudy nights. Recently I purchased a bino (Nikon sporter ex 10x50). Is it not good to mention brand name?...I don't know. my intention was to buy a porro bino. But this was the only 10x50 bino they had. As the shop was a busy place, only after coming home I could study it. I am not happy with its image quality. Residual chromatic aberration is the biggest problem. CA is bit high. It has other types of optical weaknesses too. I have a Russian made (Tento 10x50) bino. Its CA is negligible. I have another bino (Konus 12x25) and it is almost free from CA.
I can't buy all the binos on this earth one by one and throw away if not good. Therefore I need expert advice about a porro type bino (10x50, 12x50 or 10x42)with minimum optical weaknesses. Price between 500$ to 1000$. What about Nikon premier SE 12x50? Are there fake products for Nikon? Please help.....

#2 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Mentioning brand names is fine.

It sounds to me like you may have just bought a bad sample. The Nikon Sporter EX seems to get very good reviews across the internet. I think you may want to consider taking it back and exchanging it for a new one. If possible, you should always try out the binocular in the store before purchasing it.

#3 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

What about Nikon premier SE 12x50?

I have the Nikon 12x50SE. Very bright and sharp. No noticeable CA,at least for my eyes. However, since I bought a pair of Canon 15x50IS ( used for 800$), they hardly get any use anymore. The image stabilisation makes a huge difference. I can se much more and so comfortably.

Heinz

#4 choran

choran

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I would look into the Fujinon FMTSX 10x50. A bit heavy, and has individual focus, but optically very very good.

#5 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Welcome to this forum, Mahabrahma,

Both the Nikon 12x50 SE and the Fujinon FMTSX 10x50 are great binoculars, but neither are necessarily ideal for hand-holding, for different reasons.

The 12x magnification is borderline, if not plain too high for many, and the Fuji is very heavy.

Since you already have a useful(and used) 10x50, if you don't want to have to use a tripod etc., as Heinz suggested, it may well be worth considering looking into a USED image stabilised Canon 15x50.

Perhaps your higher limit of 1000$ should be enough to cover one, plus shipping?

Good luck!
Kenny

#6 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I second the motion. All in favor...

I would look into the Fujinon FMTSX 10x50. A bit heavy, and has individual focus, but optically very very good.

#7 DDwa

DDwa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hi Mahabrahma,

I agree with Kenny, you already have the Tento 10x50, so it may be well worth considering the Canon 15x50IS, if you plan to use them only under the stars.

But if u plan to use them also for daytime why don't you look into the Nikon 10x42 SE?

#8 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

I second the motion. All in favor...

can save some money on the clones,
and almost as good

edj

#9 choran

choran

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Edwin, which lower cost ones are you referring to? I'm thinking maybe the GO Signature (I think it's called)?

#10 Mahabrahma

Mahabrahma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:37 AM

From MAHABRAHMA,

Thank for all gentlemen who helped me regarding a good bino. Yes...there are lots of comments about "Nikon sporter ex" in internet. May be those comments are by laymen.But as person with some experience on optical instruments, I could detect poor image quality of this particular bino. You have suggested me 3 binos. Nikon 10x42 premier se is OK. But out of stock.(Has Nikon resumed producing this bino?) Fuginon is individual focus. It is a headache for terrestrial use. "Canon IS" is bit expensive. Also hand shake is not a problem for me.

There may be binocular experts connected to this forum. can I get paid advice from one of these experts? (Please let me know)As I once told, here in this country, I don't have facility to go to a big bino shop, check 10 or 15 binos and select the best one. I have to order it from another country without testing it. That is why I need expert advice. I can't throw away another bino after purchase.
Here are my requirements
Porro prism, 10x50 or 10x42, Central focusing,Superb image, Cristal clear image, High resolution image and so on..., Between 500$ to 1000$

Thank you.

In number of bino comparison tables, I found, high grade binos are always 7x, or 8x. Objectives are 30mm or 40mm. In a lower magnification, optical weaknesses are not prominent. Also when the objective is small optical weaknesses are less prominent. So, these binos automatically become high quality binos.

#11 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

Mahabrahma,

Your post above suggests to me you have acquired a very good grasp of the situation.

Given your additional comments, I am further persuaded that a Nikon 10x42SE may be just the model for you.

Although you declare it to be "OUT OF STOCK", I'm sure there must be a way of obtaining one somehow, even if it is being sold by a current owner, or perhaps a vendor who has taken one in part exchange for one of the newer top of the range roof prism models.

For example, a Nikon 8x32SE went up for sale on Astromart less than 48 hours ago.

You could even try placing an advertisement:

"WANTED, Nikon 10x42SE" on various web sites, such as here at Cloudy Nights, Astromart or Bird Forum.

In my humble opinion, it really may be worth making every effort to obtain one via this method.

Good luck!
Kenny

#12 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:40 AM

I would suggest then that you look at some of the newer roof prism offerings. One of these should probably do the job very well...

Celestron Granite 10x50 binocular

Vortex Viper HD 10x50 binocular

Pentax DCF SP 10x50 binocular

Pentax DCF ED 10x50 binocular

#13 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

According to their website, B&H in New York still has the Nikon 10x42SE in stock, for $800

http://www.bhphotovi...=0&InitialSe...

#14 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Actually it is out of stock at B&H but you can ask to be put on the e-mail notification list for when they get stock.
When you click to the next page where you can add to cart they have a link to be put on the notification list.

#15 backwoody

backwoody

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

There is a 10x42 SE for sale on eBay now, the seller appears to be in Japan. The binos are listed as 'used, cleaned and serviced by Nikon in Tokyo.' Listed price is 325 dollars US. Might take a look...

#16 Mahabrahma

Mahabrahma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Has anyone is using "recently manufactured" Nikon SE binos? Are they still with superior image quality? Nikon doesn't say what kind of optical glass, glasses they are using to fabricate objectives of this bino. They use ED glass only for Nikon EDG and Monarch. Are they using Eco glass? It is not a good glass for telescope objectives.

#17 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

If I were in the market, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new SE whether it used "Eco Glass" or not. I have both EII models that use that glass and they are excellent performers.

I don't think the glass is anything to obsess about. SEs are great Porro binoculars, period.

Rich

#18 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

I agree with Rich.

According to Nikon's knowledge base, "Eco Glass" contains no lead or arsenic. It began development in '95 and was complete by 2001 at a cost of about 4 million (US) dollars. "We demanded that the new glass offer optical performance at least equaling that of the glass in use. "

From Nikon:

The Nikon Group is undergoing a major shift to eco-glass at the glass manufacturing departments of Nikon and Hikari Glass. During fiscal 2006, we achieved an eco-glass utilisation rate of over 93% of all glass shipped, at least 800t, including to non-affiliated companies.

Nikon offers an extensive range of optical equipment and, given this diversity, some products incorporate parts that may not accommodate Eco-glass. As far as technically possible, however, we intend to switch over to the new material.

#19 backwoody

backwoody

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho USA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Has anyone is using "recently manufactured" Nikon SE binos? Are they still with superior image quality? Nikon doesn't say what kind of optical glass, glasses they are using to fabricate objectives of this bino. They use ED glass only for Nikon EDG and Monarch. Are they using Eco glass? It is not a good glass for telescope objectives.

Nikon SEs are "top tier" quality, with images of superior clarity and color rendition. Very few other binos are equal, at any price. I own two, purchased both 'used,' and would not hesitate to purchase that way again.

#20 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

< Nikon SEs are "top tier" quality, with images of superior clarity and color rendition. Very few other binos are equal, at any price >

I second that opinion.

Kenny

#21 Phb2

Phb2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

I think you cant really go wrong with either that you pick, the Fuji 10s or the Nikon SE 12s.

As mentioned by the others, the preference of use is more personal than what my eyes see. Both are extremely good with what they do. So its a case of IF or CF, weight in the hand, silly eye piece covers (both have sad objective covers), things like that.

I have never owned the earlier generation models, mine were all purchased about 3 years ago.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics