Semi-Temporary Piers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I am active duty Army and move around often, but want the stability of a pier. Anyone ever made a pier that is semi-permanent? If so, how did you make it and how well does it work? I have a Nexstar and want a more stable platform, as well as a permanent location to set up.

#2 jbalsam

jbalsam

Messenger

• Loc: Darnestown, MD

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

I use a "portable pier" made by ATS. I have three spray-paint spots on my driveway where the legs go, so I know where to put it each time I set up. If I need to put it somewhere else it's easy to re-level it and polar align. I can take 30 minute guided exposures with it... so I think it's stable enough for anything that anybody would want to do.

#3 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

I take it you live in housing or do you rent off base. I constructed a wood pier. If I ever sell the house I can cut it off under ground level and fill it in and plant grass. I don't think I will be relocating any time soon. I am retired military. Look forward to retirement. It is worth it.

#4 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Perhaps you could build a wood box that was somewhat pyramid-shaped, that you could fill with sand or stones, to give it more mass, that bolted to something flush with the ground....and saw the bolts off when you move

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Astro-Physics makes excellent comparatively inexpensive portable piers that can be used as temporary piers. They make them in 6-inch, 8-inch and 10-inch diameters of various heights.

#6 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

My Losmandy HD tripod is actually a 6 inch diameter mini-pier elevated with fixed angle tripod legs. I place it on concrete blocks I buried and leveled in my backyard. I marked the blocks so the tripod is always placed in the same position. I placed the blocks so the tripod legs are either fully collapsed or fully extended, so no need to level the tripod.

Gale

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics