•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Semi-Temporary Piers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: St. George UT

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I am active duty Army and move around often, but want the stability of a pier. Anyone ever made a pier that is semi-permanent? If so, how did you make it and how well does it work? I have a Nexstar and want a more stable platform, as well as a permanent location to set up.

#2 jbalsam

jbalsam

Viking 1

• Loc: Spencerville, MD

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

I use a "portable pier" made by ATS. I have three spray-paint spots on my driveway where the legs go, so I know where to put it each time I set up. If I need to put it somewhere else it's easy to re-level it and polar align. I can take 30 minute guided exposures with it... so I think it's stable enough for anything that anybody would want to do.

#3 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

I take it you live in housing or do you rent off base. I constructed a wood pier. If I ever sell the house I can cut it off under ground level and fill it in and plant grass. I don't think I will be relocating any time soon. I am retired military. Look forward to retirement. It is worth it.

#4 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Perhaps you could build a wood box that was somewhat pyramid-shaped, that you could fill with sand or stones, to give it more mass, that bolted to something flush with the ground....and saw the bolts off when you move

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Vanguard

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Astro-Physics makes excellent comparatively inexpensive portable piers that can be used as temporary piers. They make them in 6-inch, 8-inch and 10-inch diameters of various heights.

#6 gdd

gdd

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

My Losmandy HD tripod is actually a 6 inch diameter mini-pier elevated with fixed angle tripod legs. I place it on concrete blocks I buried and leveled in my backyard. I marked the blocks so the tripod is always placed in the same position. I placed the blocks so the tripod legs are either fully collapsed or fully extended, so no need to level the tripod.

Gale

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics