Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just bought a new AVX mount and I'm assuming the steel legs are chromed. What's the best way to prevent the legs from rusting? My first thought is Canuba car wax but I'm not sure. Or go down to the local car care store and see what they carry. This mount will be stored outside under a porch during the Northern California summer months protected from rain/elements and then kept in the garage during the winter months. Thanks in advance. Carl

#2 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Just bought a new AVX mount and I'm assuming the steel legs are chromed. What's the best way to prevent the legs from rusting? My first thought is Canuba car wax but I'm not sure. Or go down to the local car care store and see what they carry. This mount will be stored outside under a porch during the Northern California summer months protected from rain/elements and then kept in the garage during the winter months. Thanks in advance. Carl

( Protectall ) This stuff is grate , Use it for allmost anything , When I had Motorcycles that's all I used to clean and polish with , I still use it for my Scope counter tops guitar amp washer & Dryer outside A/C unit , things like that ,

#3 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

don't forget good ole WD-40, it say for better results do not wipe off. that's what I use

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

I believe you are worried about absolutely nothing. My VX went through one of the most dew heavy, damp springs and summers in a long, long time. AND my CG5 has been used on the Gulf Coast and in Florida for nearly nine years and has nary a spot of rust anywhere. ;)

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have had my CG-5s and CGEMs 600 yds from the Pacific Ocean for 5 to 8 years now and I have had no trouble with rust at all. You just can't neglect your mount and never care for it though. Like anything else it will need attention from time to time. I just give mine a quick wipe down after every use before I put them away.

Stan

#6 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

I believe you are worried about absolutely nothing. My VX went through one of the most dew heavy, damp springs and summers in a long, long time. AND my CG5 has been used on the Gulf Coast and in Florida for nearly nine years and has nary a spot of rust anywhere. ;)

That's good news, I was just concerned because my old orion 2" field tripod legs are rusted out to the point of no chrome left. Maybe they're chroming them better now. Still, better safe than sorry so thanks all for inputs and anymore input is welcome. BTW, AVX mount is sweet and handles my my 7inch Meade Mak easily.

#7 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

The tripod legs on an AVX mount are stainless steel not chrome.

Stan

#8 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

The tripod legs on an AVX mount are stainless steel not chrome.

Stan

Thanks for info, even better. :jump:

#9 Carl N

Carl N

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

For anything use a product called Klasse. It's a German product I get at the Lexus dealer.
The advantage is that it is acrylic. You put it on like wax. But it last 6 months and leaves no residue like wax or any oil.
Water beads off like rain-x for 6 months, and NO residue.

I put it on my car and when I go to the car wash they can't believe I didn't wax my car before I drove up.

Oh and you can put I to any material, plastic even with no discoloration like wax or armor all.

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Klasse products like KGS (Klasse Sealant Glaze) has been around for about 35 years now and is a very good product. It does require some surface prep before being applied and it is a bit more expensive than a high quality professional wax, but it will last a long time and it is an excellent protectant. I have used KGS before, but I'm just an old fashion guy and prefer a traditional wax. Just an "Old Dog' thing.

Stan

#11 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I agree with Rod, these things are built to take some abuse.

#12 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

+1 for the CG-5 having used it for two years where sea breeze sets in early. Nary a rust.

#13 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

For anything use a product called Klasse. It's a German product I get at the Lexus dealer.
The advantage is that it is acrylic. You put it on like wax. But it last 6 months and leaves no residue like wax or any oil.
Water beads off like rain-x for 6 months, and NO residue.

I put it on my car and when I go to the car wash they can't believe I didn't wax my car before I drove up.

Oh and you can put I to any material, plastic even with no discoloration like wax or armor all.

Better try CeNano from Germany, unbelievable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics