Jupiter 19 Dec 2013

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

After nearly a week of Jonesing under cloudy skies to see Jupiter, who could have asked for better timing. It cleared enough near midnight, so I stepped outside just to see what Jupiter was doing and how the seeing was. Immediately, I grabbed pencil and paper and began sketching.

Those three ovals were darn near dead center and immediately visible. This is what drove the sketch, I wanted to see them again. Got a bonus oval, too, preceding BA. Now, BA was on the following limb, so I noted it's position and went about sketching the north giving it time to rotate into view. After all the trouble BA gave me last week, there it was plain as day and in true oval form. It was amazing, especially with the STB bending up and away.

There was a lot of festoon activity, but it was a bit washed out tonight. I hope I captured it well enough to show that. It was more difficult to observe the EZ, never had one of those stellar moments where everything just etches. Had to work at this one. The EZ just seems awash in white plumes and very pale blue festoons. I did not really see a blue hue tonight, though, in the EZ generally. There were some faint hints of festoon activity forming along the EB. One very nice festoon was coming around the following limb.

The NEB was not as easy tonight, nor was the SEB. The trailing wake sloped down toward the following limb, but no distinct wake features were observed. Only a faintly brighter streak running down the norther edge of the wake. There were periods of Ant III seeing when I was trying to get caught up on the main belts. Plus I was focusing so much on the south, north, and the EZ. I missed some detail in both main belts due to seeing and concentrating on other features. But, there was one very nice bright spot in the NEB. No rifting was visible, but there was one small finger like extension poking out and pointing toward the following limb. The NEB was generally dark in the south and lighter in the north.

In the north, that brighter finger of cloud wrapping into view is just stunningly beautiful. The darker cloud over the top showed some distinct variations in thickness. Above it seemed to be some lighter tan cloud flaring north with a very faint hint of some darker clouds above that.

After the sketch was pretty much done, BA was nearing the meridian so I filled in as much detail as I could see. This included BA, and it even included the dark rings around those two ovals. Seeing had improved to Ant I as Jupiter hit the zenith. I tried to see if the NTrZ held some detail. About all I could see was it was very faintly brighter in the southern half. Other than that, it's pretty devoid and never get's much attention.

Seeing was basically Ant II, but both deteriorated and improved as the high scattered clouds blew through. The few day old waning gibbous moon was very nearby, maybe less than 5 degrees. Sketch began using 8mm TMB II (240x), then went to UO 18mm HD ortho with 1.6x Barlow for 174x. Then up to 260x with a UO 12mm HD ortho and 1.6x Barlow.

System I = 31, System II = 326, 19 Dec 1600UT.

Thanks for sharing, what a great night. (Edit: Does this template make my STrZ look fat? Hmmm...it's scaled to an actual image. But, it looks fat.)

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Norme,
Good work. The Festoons are really brilliant just very alive. The far right festoon is just jumping out. I really like the ovals as well. I have to work harder to capture those. Time it will take to build up my observing skills.

We are expecting clouds for many days in a row. I am glad you were able to get out and sketch.

Ken

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thank you, Ken, off to sleep. Man, I hope you can catch this meridian in the next few days. It should be visible to you then if the clouds break. It's chuck full of nice stuff to see. You can grab those ovals, but seeing will have to cooperate. I hope it does, really and truly. Good luck, Ken, I'll watch for your next observation.

#4 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Nice drawing Norme, template looks fine to me.

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

For the last three Jupiter apparitions your work has gotten noticeably more refined. What's really making this piece happen are those subtle contrast 10% or less as just an off white. It really adds a luminosity to the piece. Michael Rosalina does that too where there's a fine graphite shading so the open expanses of lighter tone have this extra edge about it especially in the lighter albedo areas - in your case the white accompanying the festoons.

A really refined rendering Norme,

Scale looks good by the way - spots might be a little tiny but the belts make sense .
Pete

#6 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Wow, Norme, there is so much going on below the SEB! That thread-like line in the STB is amazing, and amazingly seen, I might add. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a similar feature. As for the STrZ, I don't think it needs a diet. Don't be judgmental, bro. Just learn to love planets for what they are. :grin:

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

Thank you, David. When Jupiter rises onto the Zenith in good conditions, it's impossible not to share the view. It's simply jaw dropping, especially when those finer details can be seen. It's a beautiful planet.

Pete, even though color seemed somewhat subdued and it was a little more difficult to ease out the EZ, it does seem like being familiar with Jupiter and observing it so intently is paying off. When the conditions warrant, it's just amazing.

Yea, I guess you're right, the ovals seem to be a little on the small side. This night, though, Jupiter was a tad more difficult in terms of the EZ. Never had one of those etching moments. Still, yes, it does seem I am learning to really pull those fainter contrasting features like the very slight two toned appearance of the NTrZ. I had to leave the EZ a bit darker than it might appear visually so the white features can stand out a little easier.

You mentioned being able to resolve the STB into it's clumps and fragmented dark spots. The best I could see it really a gentle lumpiness to the belt. Here's a nice image taken two days ago, it does appear the EZ is kind of weak. Oh! And it caught that nice, crooked festoon coming around the limb! Wow. :lol: But, I missed so much on the northern NEB. :o

Being that color was more difficult, it may just have been a weak contrast on the planet itself. But, I am wondering if the moon so near to Jupiter might have washed away some of that contrast, that very subtle blue hue, in the EZ and needed to see the festoons more clearly.

Speaking of that, there were some very fleeting white features that showed up from time to time along the northern NEB/NTrZ border. I wrote them off as an illusion, because sometimes they appear to be when I've included possible sightings of them. But they are actually there in images at this central longitude. Gotta include them next time they are glimpsed. That's another learning experience, learning to trust those fleeting sightings.

Speaking of illusions, that light tan cloud feature in the north bordering the much darker cloud feature I suspect might be a mach band illusion. But maybe not. Images show some very faint darker clouds up there. Not sure what to make of it, it may be the difference between what the camera sees and the eye sees. Or it may be an illusion. But, that's how it looked, so...

Images show some kind of a strange happening with the three ovals in the south, almost like a faint cloud is streaking southward from them. It was not apparent visually.

It was a great night and a pleasure to share it with you all.

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Jason, I'll ease back on the flagellation. :lol:

You're right, those three ovals are a sight to behold and inspired the immediate sketch last night. Oval BA was troublesome previously, but so much easier last night, too. Together they made for a wonderful composition of Jupiter.

Ken mentioned those ovals, I dozed off thinking about that. Even in Ant II seeing, they rolled in and out of view. They were clearly seen during reasonable moments, then more difficult at times becoming an elongated white blur. At least with this aperture, it seems Ant II is really needed. Being on the zenith in the tropics definitely helps.

They might be worth enduring some ear stinging cold, they are definitely worth scratching mosquito bites the next day. :)

#9 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Ear stinging cold would be fine. Having sketched Saturn in temps nearing 0°F I am not adverse to the challenge. As we speak I am looking out the window at a sky of soupy cloud cover with just a hint of something that resembles the ghost of the moon on the other side. Getting tired of being on the battlefront between the jet stream and the Canadian arctic. As a side note, binoviewer is wrapped and under the tree, while the eyepieces are en route. Xmas time would only be complete by some clear skies.

Back on topic, your sketches are every bit as educational and enjoyable as being there. Thank the stars for such a forum.

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hey, a bino viewer for Christmas, nice, Jason, nice. :)

Yea, I agree. Its a pleasure sharing and discussing our views with all yall.

I look forward to your next observation, too. Clear skies.

#11 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

Norme,

Very sharp with a plethora of detail.
Your work is very impressive and refined.

Frank :)

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thank you, Frank. Coming from you, an accomplished sketch artist, your words are a compliment of the highest order.

Its a good feeling to see and render it with such detail. I credit good fortune to have pretty good seeing on the zenith and an intense desire to observe such a beautiful planet. It's such a passion, I don't dare miss anything but sometimes do. :o

If anyone understands the pleasure of sharing a wonderful view, you would. As would others who share theirs, as well.

#13 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:51 AM

Thank you, David. When Jupiter rises onto the Zenith in good conditions, it's impossible not to share the view. It's simply jaw dropping, especially when those finer details can be seen. It's a beautiful planet.

Norme - I really need to bring my scope down to your place and camp on your lawn. :grin:

#14 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Norme,

The weather isn't looking good here solid clouds. I will just observe your sketch! :)

Seriously, I will try to look for the ovals my next time out.

Ken

#15 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Norme - Excellent work with Jupiter.

#16 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Norme,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter. The group of 3 ovals again is a fine observation. You can compare to the last time you sketched those and see how they moved. Oval BA looks vivid with it's dark collar with another oval nearby. The EQZ is very cool with the wispy festoons amongst the brighter patches of clouds. The light area in the NTrz with it's dark border is an interesting and beautiful feature.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#17 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Guys, its a real pleasure sharing the great views. Dean, BA was much easier this time around. That was very nice and viewing those three ovals, any oval really, is a wonderful thing. It just brings Jupiter to life. Ken, I am still hoping the weather clears in time for you to observe this longitude.

#18 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of the Dec. 19th Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#19 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

Thank you, Tom. Hey you post a lot, do you sketch?

#20 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Always impressed by the ammount of detail you can cath on the planet!

#21 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

Norme,
Excellent work--you were really able to see and render some very subtle detail. I'll add my voice to others that said those ovals are cool. Looks like Jupiter had made almost one complete turn between my observation and yours. Glad the seeing improved in that time. :grin:

#22 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Jef, Michael, again, an thousand thank yous is not enough. I appreciate you all sharing the view with me, it adds depth to the lonely jaw dropping observation God has seen fit to bless us with. (Sorry for the religious reference, but I am so thankful and feel blessed. There're just so few ways to express it adequately.)

#23 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Norme,
You'll want to check out this image by Dan Llewellyn made on December 19th with a System II longitude of 320°. :)

#24 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Excelent work!

#25 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Ed, now I know why the STrZ and STez look fat, Oval BA complex is too small. :lol: Thank you.

Tamas, thank you kindly.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics