HELP! Talking LX200 to a Mach1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm writing some Perl scripts to implement a ProTrack-like functionality for the Mach1.

My problem is I can't talk to the T%$%#! mount.

I have an FTDI USB to serial adapter. This works just fine with Ray Gralak's ASCOM v2 driver.

Now if I try to connect directly to the COM port (in Windows) with say Putty or Hyperterminal, with 9600/8N1 port settings, the mount won't talk to me.

But.. if I run the ASCOM setup and query the mount, after shutting down the ASCOM driver I can now connect with Putty etc. and I can talk to the mount... so long as I don't type in any "wrong" command.

The minute I type in a "wrong" command the terminal session freezes, and restarting Putty doesn't help - I have to reconnect the ASCOM driver.

Anybody...?

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

ok solved my own problem. repeatedly sending a correct command will (eventually) shake the mount out of its stupor.

EDIT: arrggh. Spoke too soon. This trick works on Windows, but not on Linux. I want to eventually run my software on a small headless low-power Linux box (kind of like Anat's iAstroHub) so I need it working on Linux...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics