Photo

M42-another try

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:42 AM

Used the 8" SN in the Obsv for all the data, and the T1i, w/ CLS/HA/OII clips. HA on 11-22/23, OIII on 11-23/24, RGB on 11-29/12-2

This data is a combined layering of Red/Green/Blue, along with Hydrogen Alpha (Red) and Oxygen III (Blue-Green), and also using the HA data in "gray scale" as a luminosity layer.

Aligning and registering the different wavelengths proved a challenge,along with color correcting, and stretching to bring out the details in the "dust", as well as the components of each the HA & OIII without over-riding the RGB data.

Could probably work on it some more, yet fairly pleased with the result. "Pixel Peeping" will reveal flaws with alignment, yet did the best "manually" to line things up.

The core was layered in in all "wavelengths", and actually finalized with an RGB "drop in" after working with all the other layers.

I could upload a larger version if any want to "peep".

Attached Files

#2 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Skylab

• Loc: United States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

Excellent job with this combo - some great details and very good control of the color. As far as uploading the larger version - of course we want to pixel peep!

:-)

#3 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

Ok, here goes (not all "filters/etc are listed, since I haven't updated the eqp list on astrobin).

Posted Image

>>Actually have to edit the filters used>>these were the 2" versions, not Clips, and in front of the MPCC on the SN8<<

#4 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

Nice M42!

#5 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Great work!

#6 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks all,

I was kind of shocked by how many "objects" showed up on AB when plate solving this composite...given how many layers and alignment issues I had while rotating/transforming/getting everything lined up.

Working on more data in a wider field of view using the ED 80...stay tuned..currently struggling with that..yet gonna take more time, and do more "steps".

#7 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

Not really pleased with this result. This is using the ED80 & the Orion FR (no longer available), specific for that scope. w/the T1i, CLS,HA,OIII clip in's.

Struggled with using grayscale combined HA&OIII as a luminance layer, as well as trying colorized Red for HA, and colorized Blue/Green for OIII.

Tried using "Annies Actions" to remove stars on the colorized HA & OIII layers.

Working on refining the process with the same data.

Link for "Pixel Peeping" (once again, trouble manually lining up all layers)

[image]Posted Image[/image]

#8 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

Ok, pretty much going to leave this data alone for awhile. Here's another version. RGB data w/ HA/OIII lum layer, and "colorized" OIII data only (no colorized HA this time.)

The RGB data seemed to have plenty of "red", so tried only the OIII-Blue/Green to help "enhance" the "blues".

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics