• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 diggitye

diggitye

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

I had been researching for my first telescope since last spring but was not in a hurry to pull the trigger. I was mostly looking at 8 inch Dobs and was pretty sure that I would get myself one in the next 6 - 12 months.

Well, we had our early christmas tonight since we will be out of town for the full week and to my surprise my awesome wife got me the 6SE. She just went to the local scope shop and brought it home (I'm not sure how she managed the 45 pound box but she did it somehow). Yeah, she's pretty awesome! :jump:

But…I was sorta keen on the 8 inch dobs (I know, what a greedy jerk huh?). Anyway, I can return/exchange the scope but I thnk I might have an awesome instrument here and I just need some reassurance. I am excited about the tracking and ease of mobility with this guy but that aperture is always calling.

Thoughts from you guys on this 1st world problem? I realize this is the Nexstar forum so there might be some bias.

Oh, and she got me the battery pack too!!!!!

#2 John Brooks

John Brooks

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arkansas

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Congrats! That is awesome.

I would never let my wife pick a scope for me but as a new SE owner I have to say your wife did a fine job. I have no doubt you will be happy with it. Much happier than with an 8" Dob.

Merry Christmas,

John

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi diggitye & welcome to the forum!

Well, there's no question that an 8" scope will have the edge over a 6" one in terms of what you can see with it. If you viewed with them side by side, you'd certainly notice it. But, those who have moved up from a 6SE to an 8SE report a noticeable improvement, but not an overwhelming one.

On the other hand, the 6SE has some other real advantages over an 8" dob. The portability, goto, and tracking are compelling features in their own right. I think you'll find that you'll use this scope more than an 8" dob just due to how easy it is to get it out there and observe.

Over time, you might consider upgrading. But in the meantime, maybe you could join an astronomy club and check out the views through an 8" dob there.

-Dan

#4 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

And I will second John's congratulations but I will add, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TURNING IT IN FOR THE DOB. :tonofbricks: I will grant you that the 8"will have more light grasp BUT (Isn't there always a BUT) with the 6SE you'll spend more time observing the things you want to look at as opposed to searching for them with the Dob. I've had a 13" dob, an 8" newt. on a GEM and now have an 8SE. If I had the three of them in front of me and had to select one, the 1st to go would be the DOB, next would be the 8" on the GEM and hands down I'd keep the 8SE.
My recommendation to you is to sit your wife down, Tell her how much you love her and thank her for saving you from a bunch of headaches and frustration searching for thing s with a Dob. :help: She's a peach and don't lose her. :bow: :bow:

Fred

#5 John Brooks

John Brooks

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arkansas

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

My recommendation to you is to sit your wife down, Tell her how much you love her and thank her for saving you from a bunch of headaches and frustration searching for thing s with a Dob. :help: She's a peach and don't lose her. :bow: :bow:

Fred

Amen to that.

And don't forget, it's a dovetail mount. I bought mine when my ETX 125 crapped out. I got a set of rings and dovetail plate for the ETX and now have interchangeable OTAs.

Within size and weight restrictions, you can obtain a larger or smaller, faster or slower focal ratio OTA and choose the one that suits your needs at the time. In the meantime you have a great scope you will get a lot of use out of.

#6 Summit sky

Summit sky

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Breckenridge , CO

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Sweet man. Santa will have my new 6se all set up in the living room for x mas morning. Can't wait to play with the kids. Where in CO r u. We can have a celestron party

#7 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Diggitye
To reinforce ehat I said on the previous post Here's a comment on another question

I was in a similar situation. I bought a 10" dob and it was a burden for me to use. Last year I bought a Nexstar 8se on sale at Christmas, and my time spent observing has at least tripled. The GOTO/tracking and seated observing position of the SCT is ergonomically ideal for me.

I think you would love a Nexstar 6se. And as they said, there is a built in upgrade path for the ota, since it shares the same mount and arm as the 8se.

Fred

#8 Gary Z

Gary Z

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Man, Diggiteye, that is a great gift. As an SE owner myself, you will get a lot of use with this scope. I have a friend that has an 8 inch Dob and his views are nice, but the view with my SE is just as good. I believe you and your wife will be happy with the views you will get with this scope.

Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Oh and Clear Skies too.

#9 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

The 6 and the 8 use the same mounting. The 6 tube is lighter, therefore you can add more accessories to the scope without stressing out the drive. I have an 8se but I only do visual. i have been able to view things easily that I couldnt find manually for 30 years. Now if that isnt a time savings I dont know what is.......

#10 diggitye

diggitye

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm keeping the SE. I think the features and portability will be key as a first scope. I'm getting really excited about this scope and can't wait to use it.

Hey Summit Sky. I'm in Centennial. I'm up for a Celestron party sometime. You probably have darker skys than me.

#11 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

diggitye,

Not only is the 6SE a very nice scope but returning it could be a BIG mistake for other reasons.Your wife obviously put quite a bit of thought and effort into selecting that gift.The 6SE (or any 6") is enough to move many objects from fuzzy (as seen in the common 60mm)into dramatic.

When you discover some time in the future you just MUST have a bigger scope ,then a 12" Dob will take you deeper.The collapsible versions save space in the car and home.

Keep the 6SE and wife!

#12 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Diggitye,
As a new scope owner and from what you've said regarding your experience I assume that really don't truly know what to expect to see thru your new scope. I can recall the excitement and expectations I had on getting my first scope (Also the disappointments) Of course the first thing you will probably look at is the moon. Be prepared to be blown away with all phases except full. Next on the list will more than likely be the planets. Jupiter and Saturn will knock your socks off. On Jupiter you will see the planet itself and you may on first try be able to see two of the belts, You will easily see the moons and when one of them passes in front of the planet see the shadow on the ball. Saturn will show you the rings with divisions. In time you will be able to see more detail on these planets as you Observing skills improve. Yes I said "Observing skills improve". High magnification does not show these added details so much as observing skills. Speaking of Magnification, Maximum Magnification for a scope Is usually 50 times per inch of apperature. You have a 6" scope so 50 x 6" equals 300X, but don't you believe it. It takes almost perfect seeing to get that much out of your scope. A more realistic figure would be 35 to 40 times per inch of apperature or 210 to 240X
Lets get back to what you will be seeing most Messier objects will look great and amaze you. Things like the ring nebula in Lyra, The great Nebula in orion, The globular cluster M-13 and M-5. The loose clusters. I could go on and on.
What will be your biggest disappointment will be the spiral Galaxies. They will never look like thos great pictures you see in Sky & Tell. The best that you'll get is a small grey oval
One final thought. Don't go overboard getting a bunch of new eyepieces at first. You got a 25mm with the scope. I'd add a eyepiece approx. 12mm and live with those for a while. Astro Agena has a nice 15mm one they call Enhanced field of view, It has a 66 degree apparent field of view and sells foe $39.00

Hope all this helps and clear skies to you
Fred

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Once you have a 6SE you don't get rid of it. Get another scope maybe but don't get rid of the 6 that'd be a mistake. The highly portable highly efficient package is unique and unto itself. If you want an improvement worth it go for a ten inch not an 8" - and don't sell the 6. EVER.

Pete

#14 TK6411

TK6411

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, Tx

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Keep the 6SE. You will be glad you did.

Jim

#15 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I went from a Nexstar 8GPS to a Nexstar 5i. Yes the 8" was better but the 5i gets more use.

I also have a 12" Lightbridge, but the 5i still gets the most light.

#16 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

Keep the 6se. You wont be sorry.

#17 Reid W

Reid W

Vostok 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

I just picked up a 6" SE. It is a great optic, extremely portable, and the goto's are dead-on. It is a terrific setup. As others have noted, keep this scope and later look at a larger dob in the 10"-12.5" range. For me, it is perfect when I am too lazy to rig up the 10 dob or 9.25 act. It's also a great size to take with you in a travel trailer or RV. I enjoyed my 80mm ED and alt-as mount, but this combo can go deeper, is just as lightweight, is computerized, and takes up about the same space. It won't give the 3' FOV, but that's ok.

#18 AhBok

AhBok

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Keep the 6 and add a 12" dob next year. A wife that surprises a husband with a SE6 deserves nothing less than utmost appreciation.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics