Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Oberwerk 12x60 LW Binocular Review

By Jim VanDyke

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Good work on that review, Jim; well done!
I was particularly interested by your comment on why they have difficulty in showing good daytime views. Could you try what is the effect of putting two cardboard tubes on the objectives as light shields?

#3 npc

npc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Excellent first review, Jim, I found it very useful, and I hope you write more of these. IMHO, your analysis of the likely causes of smaller binocular effective apertures is spot on, and I completely agree with attitude that this is at least understandable, although I, personally, wouldn't go so far as to say defensible, on the part of the manufacturers.

As you point out, some of this is designed to slip past the less informed public, but I'd hope the folks at CN are part of a community that looks at these issues a bit more deeply. I think it would be valuable to accumulate a database of popular binocular models and their measured effective apertures and I'm willing to contribute measurements of my own equipment. I hope we can find some place to aggregate this information and that others are willing to contribute as well.

#4 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

I bought these and they look exactly like the Oberwork?
I tested mine at 59mm and exactly a 6mm Exit pupil. They are 10X60mm
I used both laser and Flashlight on aperture.
Funny thing is they came in an Oberwork case??
they were definately brighter than my Nova 7X50's
I got these from a friend he said the dealer he got them from had a special on them, He paid $59.00 for them.
They are Visioneer. I am telling you they are superb for what they are. I was set to buy something more expensive but I don't have any reason now.
I am confused over the case tho? :question: John said that is how they came. Anyone know of these? had them? I would only wish they were 12x60 but at 10x they are nice to hand hold.

Attached Files

#5 Klanky

Klanky

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley, NY

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Awesome review. Convinved me to pick up a pair - anxiously awaiting it!

How was the collimation with the pair you received?

#6 gdd

gdd

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hi Jim,

Excellent review. Would I be better off getting a 12x50 binocular in some other brand to get the same performance in a smaller and lighter package? Would I risk not getting the full 50mm for this size also?

Thanks,

Gale

#7 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I love my 12x60's. They are great mounted and handheld. I think they are a great value. I have a good friend who is a Bino-Snob. When he looked through them he was very impressed. He purchased a pair of 70mm Oberwerks afterwards.

#8 jgroub

jgroub

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Very interesting review.  I have these same binos and love them, although they are pretty big.  Loved hearing the info on the objectives and the limiting prisms.  Ah, well.  Just confirms how I always refer to these:  

Oberwerk und Underpaid!  

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics