Jupiter 22 Dec 1600UT

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:13 AM

Going into the 4th year of sketching Jupiter, the amount of detail never ceases to amaze. After an hour at the eyepiece, glancing down a the rough sketch the amount of detail a 6" can deliver is unbelievable. I feel a bit of trepidation sometimes posting them. Below is typical a rough first sketch, this one made on the 22nd of Dec this year - last night. (edit, the preceding limb is labeled wrong, it was dark...:) )

Secondly, with all the reports of not so good seeing lately, I feel a bit of guilt posting them, as well. It's no one's fault. The same weather patterns that bring chilly air and rough seeing to parts of the US and UK are the same weather patterns that ring in our observing season. When summer sets in, the conditions reverse and generally good conditions are available to the US and perpetual clouds cover the tropics. Still, I feel a bit of guilt, can't help it.

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

If anyone doubts the power of sketching, I am not one of them. Below is a first ever sketch of Jupiter back in early 2011. Not much was seen. Then, shortly thereafter I remember noticing something happening around the GRS (insert.) Then other details became visible over the last 4 Jupiter observing seasons. Compared to the sketch on 21 Dec 2013, the results of observing and sketching over the years just seem obvious.

Attached Files

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

Last night's sketch, I have few words other than to just describe the cloud tops. Another amazing night, the clouds broke for about 2 hours with Jupiter near the zenith and Ant I/II seeing. After collimating through broken clouds, I had just enough time to get in a sketch.

Attached Files

#4 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

Norme - great observation and drawing - don't feel guilt about your great skies - we can always move.

I thoroughly enjoy your drawings and they set me new targets to try to see more - I hope the binoviewers will help in just 2 days time

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

I missed oval BA, but managed the "fat" cloud following it. It is pretty dark and is separated from the SSTeB by a thin strip of white. It even has some funky shape to it. It was followed by a faint concentration. Actually two, the second one was a bit further back. The belt seemed to be darker from the trailing limb back toward the meridian.

There are actually two ovals below and following, I only glimpsed one of them. The SSTeZ appeared fragmented into two sections. A very faint STB was noted on the trailing limb.

Tonight, it's the SEB's turn to shine. Normally pretty bland and hard to see, some really nice features were visible. Near the preceding limb (left) a brighter indention protruded into the southern border and was followed by a concentration of darker cloud. Some unevenness and some darker concentrations are found nearer the trailing limb. The core of the belt was generally darker giving way to a generally lighter northern SEBn. It, in turn, was strewn with lighter cloud formations and a fairly distinct, thin, knotted and bluish border. I suspect the GRS was about an hour or so from rolling around the trailing limb. Most striking of all, though, were those streaks in the SEBs. Amazing to capture them during steady moments.

Some white features were noted in the EZs. The EZ itself seemed to have an off white, maybe light grayish overall hue. Sometimes I get the impression the hue is a very pale blue, but not on this night. There are some darker cloud formations seeming to form along the EB. They appear kind of wavy with the festoons feeding into them. The two festoons near the preceding limb were less distinct with some heavier blue hue associated above them. The significant festoon near the trailing limb was, well, significant and pronounced.

The NEB, again, full of finger-like projections across the norther border. It's a very complex belt this time around. The southern half is generally darker and the norther section is generally lighter. It appeared a bit darker just under the base of that significant festoon. The bright concentration near the trailing limb was quite stunning.

The NTrZ was pretty bland with a light grey hue. I believe ROZ (red oval Z) was rolling around the preceding limb, but I could not make it out. I suspect the hollow it forms was seen.

The NTB was fairly tame with some thin, darker cloud features stretching across it's northern half. The darker cloud did appear to thicken near the trailing limb. The NTeZ was pretty much white near the meridian and toward the preceding limb. It seemed to fade to a light gray toward the trailing limb.

The NNTeB was interesting in that undulating darker cloud feature. Near the meridian, there was a brighter concentration (faintly seen in the sketch, sorry for that) as the generally light sandy or tan NNTeZ seemed to fade about there. I missed LRS-1, but barely observed the darker cloud preceding it (on the preceding limb.)

Lastly, in the NPR above the sandy NNTeZ, there were some faintly darker cloud concentrations. I think that about covers it...(glancing back on the length of this post) :lol: I say this often, but there are times when I say a silent prayer of thanks. Last night was no exception.

Seeing was Ant I/II with some very high thin stratus overcast. Magnification was 260x with UO 12mm HD Ortho and Celestron 1.6x ED shorty Barlow.

System I 146, System II 57.

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:58 AM

LOL, David, moving is a huge undertaking. Thank you for your comforting words. Hey, if my observing sweat and sketches further interest in Jupiter, man, what else can one hope for. Thank you for replying (that was quick, by the way...still in the middle of discussing the features seen. :) ) Cheers, David.

#7 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hey, yeah, Norme!

Don't feel guilty about clear skies (at least someone is gettin' IT)!

I really dig your pencil sketch. Far more comprehensive that anything I've done thus far.

Keep 'em coming. If you're seeing it, its like I'm seeing it right along with you!

:grin:

-stray-

ps--not slacking on my end. During this down time, I've disassembled the Astroview and took a peek down the raw tube. Geez...talk about light leakage! I have since given everything a thick coat of flat black paint (globbed it in some areas around the ID of the baffles). Probably not as effective as a good flocking, but I cannot wait to see the results!

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

Mark, I did the same with improved results depending on what your looking at. I hope your's turns out nicer, too.

And thank you for the supportive words. :p

#9 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Norme,
Great work. I like how you have showed your progression. I also like your technique of pencil at the scope the show what you see and then make a finished drawing. I need to try that once the clouds and rain stop! I am a believer in sketching and observing and just watching some of the details in the sketches here even help me prepare for time at the eyepiece. I know where to look for details.

I made some use of the bad weather and fashioned a new apodizer screen for the dob.

Another great sketch and report. Hope your string of good weather continues.

Ken

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Ken, sometimes knowing where to look helps, like those ovals south of the GRS. Once one is spotted, then not only do we know where to look but what they look like. I remember the first time I saw one, it was almost an epiphany and another step deeper and part of the learning process, IME. Sometimes we see something and wonder what it is. Yea, IME, learning to see things develops over time and sketching is an unbelievably great tool. You're so right.

I look forward to your next obs, Ken. Good luck with your Apodizer and your conditions.

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Your improvement in detail recognition makes sense in that understanding that ones acumen in perceiving these kinds of minute contrasts improves as the eye/brain response quickens. Not too much unlike speed reading exercises where the brain is trained to process at quicker and quicker intervals. Terrence Dickerson, one of my fav observers and authors sais usually after several observing sessions his skills are returned to speed and he's seeing on that edge again.

There's no doubt this is one of the best you've done - its strange you didn't get BA but you did get everything else such are the vagaries of observing and seeing. This is truly a great piece Norme.

Pete

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, Pete. Yea, sometimes I am amazed at what a 6" can do when conditions permit. Oval BA was off the preceding limb.

#13 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Norme, I almost feel guilty also for the great observing conditions in South Florida. But, keep in mind that when others around the planet are getting great observing weather we are getting relentlessly drenched!

I agree that a good 6" scope can show A LOT of detail. Hang out in some of the other forums and you may start believing that you need a Hubble-sized yard cannon just to see the planet disk. I see many sketches here that show incredible detail that are observed through scopes of modest aperture.

I have also looked at my sketches from when I began and I can see how much my observing skills have improved in the past three or so years. I can't believe how crude and simple those first sketches were, and the quantum leap in detail that I can observe today using the same (and smaller!) instruments.

Anyway, I was also observing Jupiter last night and caught a huge blue festoon in the NEB, probably the same one you show in your colored sketch, although positioned toward the opposite side (time difference).

Ed D

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Well said, Ed. Thanks for chiming in, especially about the summer drenching and umproved observing over time. :grin:

#15 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Great sketches Norme and a wonderful glimpse into the development of observational skills with time and experience.

#16 mike73

mike73

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Plymouth

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've alway been a 'I only sketch DSO's' kinda guy but after going back and reading several pages on the sketching forum I'm now totally excited about observing and sketching Jupiter!

So thank you Norme and everyone else who's contributed recently, your sketches and written observations are the sole reason I'm feeling so inspired. :bow:

(Also the wife has given me the final nod of approval to get a Mak :jump: )

#17 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Norme - excellent work.

#18 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Norme,

Awesome sketch. I do appreciate your process of rough sketching the details and later the final version. Thanks for sharing that. A beautiful well rendered sketch with so many intricate details. I love the way the festoons connect up to a segmented EQ band. Very cool. The small patches of light that abound the sketch give the sketch a complex beautiful appearance.

I'm glad that your having excellent seeing. And you have put it to good use!

Thanks for posting. Merry Christmas, Dean

#19 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

Norme,

Nice sketches of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#20 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

I am glad you posted this, Norme. Not only the current observation, but also the comparison to your earlier work. Very inspiring.

The Pentax XF12's came today for the binoviewer. The kids are wrapping them for me. The BV will be ready for any of that tropical air once it hits New England. :grin:

#21 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Kraterkid, thank you. I don't remember seeing your work lately, but I gather you're quite the sketch artist. You're reputation precedes you, even online. :lol:

Mike, I'm with you on the DSO observing. It's only recently that the planetary bug bit. My Mak arrived back in late 2010, it's a great scope. It's billed as a lunar and planetary telescope, but I am not sure what makes the so good. Longer focal length with a smaller FOV may make them ideal for smaller planetary images since wide field is more limited. That may be it. And surely a good 6" SCT is no slouch, either. I've been trying to understand what it is about the Mak, and I think it boils down to the conditions they operate in mostly. And it seems a 6" aperture is in a sweet spot here. They are great scopes regardless and, for me, have a great aesthetic appeal. With such views of Jupiter, Io, and Ganymede, among others, you can understand why I am smitten. I bet you will love your Mak, too. As Ed said, a 6" anything can show a lot and when conditions are diffraction limited for that aperture you're getting everything it can throw at you. And that's a lot.

Rut, thank you, sir. (He's a moddie, have to kiss up a little bit, look the other way if you're squeamish. :lol: )

Dean, thank you for chiming in. It's a curious thing, that EZ. Jason mentioned it was quite bright in his scope, and I am finding that to be the case, too, recently. It's been so difficult to pull festoons from the EZ. It no longer has that pale blue hue overall. I dunno if it's the better transparency or if the festooning is a bit weaker of late. In any case, the EZ is becoming difficult, it seems, lately.

Jason, Merry Christmas! You musta been not naughty last year. :)

Merry Christmas to you all.

#22 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

I tend to scrawl arrows, notes, parenthesis, dashes and dotted lines all over the page . Norme you've got it nicely under control.

Pete

#23 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Pete, with familiarity comes less need for notes, parenthesis, and such, so long as the sketch is still fresh. The sketch really is more of a reminder than a rendition, at least for me. Oh, yea, saw that faint thing up there, right about there and it looked like that. That kind of thing.

Hey, if you look, you will see where the northern hemisphere as a move arrow shifting the location of those features toward the preceding limb. My pencil lead fell out, it broke and fell out. Also, I was sketching NTB detail in the NTrZ which made sketching the NEB confusing. I had to start over.

So, I broke away, sharpened the pencil and redrew the template. To get caught up, I re-sketched everything back onto the new template and begin observing again. That took time.

But, I was drawing it as seen at that time, so the northern detail was lagging where it was at present and everything else was off. So, to fix that, had to rotate the northern portion to the limb. That needed annotation. :)

Merry Christmas, Pete, et al.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics