BYE nudge/ascom with G11 how?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

I am using BYE premium and want to use the "nudge" feature. With the hand controller unplugged on my G11 to use the Orion Autoguider I don't have a way to move the scope in small increments to frame my picture besides fussing with thumping on the optical tube...
Gotta be a way to do this!!
While we're on the subject I'd LOVE to get Cartes du ciel (or some other software) communicating with my laptop.
I have all the connectors/serial USB drivers but can't get anything talking, other than BYE and the Orion Starshoot.
help please!
Joe

#2 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Joe,

Do you have the ASCOM Platform installed. This is required for BYE to talk to your mount. The ASCOM Platform is here.

Once you have the ASCOM Platform installed you also need to install the ASCOM driver for the G11. The G11 ASCOM driver is here.

Once you have both the ASCOM Platform install and the ASCOM driver for your mount you should be able to have Carte Du Ciel talk to your mount.

Hope this helps,

Guylain

#3 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Get a splitter from Radio Shack. that is what I use with my GM-8.

#4 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Vostok 1

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thank YOU!
Can you help with the com port? I have ZERO idea where to go for that...
Since the Autoguider is hooked to the hand control port on the G11 do I somehow tie into that???
Sure love your software, I used it last night - GREAT upgrade from APT!
Joe

#5 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

If you mean, "Where do I view my com ports?", open up Device Manager. They will all be listed there.

#6 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, what Charles said.

And to find out which com port your device is using unplug your mount from the computer and look at all com ports used in Device Manager. Then plug your mount to the computer and look at all com port used in Device Manager again. There should be a new one assigned... that is the com port windows assigned to your mount. Use that com port in ASCOM :)

Hope this helps,

Guylain

#7 Joe Eiers

Joe Eiers

Vostok 1

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Perhaps you could take me back a step here on the ascom thing.
For me, I see two things: the Autoguider on the one hand, and the handport hole on the G11 in the other. I don't have a Gemini one or two on the G11; just the mount.

I know how to find open ports on my computer, so that's no problem. I know the autogiuder can make small adjustments when guiding, what I don't get is how that same autoguider can work with BYEOS to move the scope! BYEOS is hooked to the Canon 7D and the Autoguider is hooked to the hand controller port on the G11.
I'm obviously REALLY confused.
Joe

#8 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

Perhaps you could take me back a step here on the ascom thing.
For me, I see two things: the Autoguider on the one hand, and the handport hole on the G11 in the other. I don't have a Gemini one or two on the G11; just the mount.

I know how to find open ports on my computer, so that's no problem. I know the autogiuder can make small adjustments when guiding, what I don't get is how that same autoguider can work with BYEOS to move the scope! BYEOS is hooked to the Canon 7D and the Autoguider is hooked to the hand controller port on the G11.
I'm obviously REALLY confused.
Joe

Yep, confused.

You need another cable running from the mount to the computer serial port. If you don't have that serial cable it will never work!

Do you use the st4 port on the mount to guide and the hand controller port?

BYE does NOT communicate with the guide camera to move the scope... it communicates with the ASCOM driver ONLY. In turn the ASCOM driver talks to the mount to nudge the scope for framing purpose only... using the serial cable mention above. If you think BYE is moving the scope via the guide cam you are mistaken by a country mile and perhaps this is the confusion you indicated :(

Now, I do not have a G11 and I'm not sure you can even communicate with your mount vis ASCOM without Gimini. If anyone has a G11 can you please shed some light for Joe on the cables wiring needed?

Guylain

#9 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Unfortunately you'll need the Gemini unit for PC control. You cannot hook up the Digital Drive system to a PC. So no COM port to deal with either.

You'll have to use the hand controller for the mount to move it or continue tube tapping or pickup a Gemini unit.

In PHD you also have the option to manually move the mount using the guider relays. You can find it in the "Tools>>Manual Guide". However this will be very slow as it will be moving at your guide rate.

Hope that helps,
Jared

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics