Celestron 8SE Star Align problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

finally got to use my new 8se last night but was unable to get it to star align. I had 5 attempts using stars only and combinations of stars and Jupiter but without success. I'm going to check my location data and I'll have another attempt when clear skies allow but if anyone has any tips I'd be grateful. Should have said that I'm a novice and I'm on a steep learning curve

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi Bluesdog,

Welcome heartily to CN and to this forum ! :bow::bow:

Assuming that you are entering the necessary prime data, (i.e. time, date and location), correctly and that you have an adequate power supply, (either a Power Tank, mains AC/DC transformer or at least a stack of fresh AA batteries), then perhaps the 19th posting on the following link, (by Hamdul), will help you to make a successful alignment.

http://www.cloudynig...5417848/page...

Best regards, all success and Merry Xmas,
Tel

P.S. Please feel free to refer back to us if you have any problems

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi Bluesdog:

Can you describe what happens? When you say "without success", what are the symptoms?

-Dan

#4 Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have read the post suggested by Tel and I'll do some work on it tomorrow. The message I was getting is "Align Failed". Since my original post I have had a review of the set up data and I find that the longitude is 118 degrees when I had previously set it to 000,59,5.2 degrees so I'm a bit puzzled as I double checked it when I set it. 118 degrees is in China. I've reset the longitude and I'll check it tomorrow and see if it's reverted.

On another issue is there any obvious reason why Celestron didn't use better known stars in both the two star align modes. As a novice I can spot Rigel, Sirius, Betelgeuse etc but things like Ain, Alycyone and the like are a lot more difficult.

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi Bluesdog:

In the two-star align modes, the scope creates a list of acceptable stars. It simply presents them in alphabetical order which is why you're seeing stars that begin with 'A'. You can use the up/down buttons (NOT the arrow keys) to scroll through the list to select something that you recognize instead of the the first one presented.

-Dan

#6 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Lift Off

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

I spent two hours last night trying to get an alignment. Sometimes the hand controller said the alignment was successful. I tried M31 and the scope tried to point at the ground. I tried Uranus and the scope pointed at the ground on the other side of me. May have to return this one. Did a star align on Jupiter and the tracking went the opposite way and Jupiter was quickly move out of the view.

Tried to get creative and align on betelgeuse and rigel which was confirmed as a success and the tried to find m42 between them and the scope went about 90 degrees the wrong direction.

Just surprised.

Hobby Astronomer

#7 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Before you get too frustrated, do a Factory Reset of the hand controller and try again. Also make sure your latitude is positive and your longitude is negative, at least if you live in N. America. (People should put their location in their profiles--makes it easier to answer questions.)

#8 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

I've seen several posts of late where the users entered their location by Long. and Lat. In order to be super precice. :4 I started out that way. Being thee lazy cus that I am I realized that I had one more entry button to push on alignment. :foreheadslap: I got rid of that and just entered the nearest city for my location and found out that it works fine. :jump:

Fred

#9 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi Hobby:

Don't worry, we'll sort this out. No need to think about sending it back yet. Your problems are very familiar, and there have been lot of people with similar problems that we've been able to get straightened out.

Let's start with the basics. First thing to nail down is power. Lots of weird things happen with low power. If you're using internal AA alkaline batteries, they only last 2-3 hours and could easily cause some of these symptoms if they've been used too long. If you're using NiMH rechargables, they only have 1.2v per cell instead of the 1.5v that is normal with alkalines so they can also be a problem.

So ... what are you using for power?

-Dan

#10 Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scottish Highlands

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:28 AM

I've seen several posts of late where the users entered their location by Long. and Lat. In order to be super precice. I started out that way. Being thee lazy cus that I am I realized that I had one more entry button to push on alignment. I got rid of that and just entered the nearest city for my location and found out that it works fine.

Fred

How near the database city do you need to be to do this?

I live in the Northern Highlands of Scotland and am 100 miles as the crow flies from Aberdeen (the nearest one).

Keith Hart

#11 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hi Keith,

Welcome to CN ! :bow::bow:

Rule of thumb, a 70 mile radius of a displayed city is good enough but I wouldn't mind betting 100 miles will still serve without noticeable inaccuracies. However, you are a aware, I presume, that you can enter your exact latitude/longitude co-ordinates which you can of course access from various sources, notably "Google Earth" ?

Hoping this helps,
Best regards and Merry Xmas,
Tel

#12 Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scottish Highlands

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hello

It was my third time out with the Nexstar SE5 tonight. I have been using the LAT & Long as I am so far from anywhere! As everyone here in the Northern Highlands is. Of course the compensation is nice dark skies - well at least when it is not raining!

I took my Lat & Long from the sat nav on my truck and cross checked it with Google Earth. Fortunately I asked advice on the forum and found out how to translate the sat nav location in to the required format.

I'm using the SE 5 at the bottom of my garden but when I try another location I'll see if Aberdeen works as it will save a bit of time.

Thanks.

Keith Hart

#13 Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Regarding my original post - Thanks to Tel and Hamdul for scope set up and alignment method and I can report that I have now managed a solar alignment using Venus. When next I get clear skies I check Star Align and Auto two star alignment functions.

#14 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

When I have had problems with Auto Align, they usually came from the mount not being close enough to level. I don't think it is as big an issue with 2 star align, but I'm not sure. I usually use Auto Align so I don't have to worry about 2 Star Align selecting stars that are obscured by houses or trees.

The Lat and Lon don't have to be too precise. +_ 1/2 degree should be fine. The date needs to be right, and the time within a minute seems to be adequate.

A couple of degrees out of level give the telescope the same miss information as a couple of degrees off, Lat and Lon. If the scope can get an sucessful alignment the go-tos will be OK. Now I have learned to check the alignment stars to see that they really are what the scope picked out.

#15 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

In two star YOU select the stars from a list of them. The list is a little short for my taste but its a list.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics