Jupiter 23 Dec 1500UT

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

I have been Jonesing since February to observe Jupiter, so please indulge this flurry of observations. It's like a craving for Chocolate and stuffing you mouth with 4 Hersey bars.

Anyway, I wasn't going to finish this one as it was interrupted by 2 hours of cloud cover. It's unfinished, especially the trailing limb, the EZ, and parts of the NEB are not done. Two hours later, I could fill in some stuff, but...

It cleared up a bit later, but seeing was not as good with the GRS past the meridian. I kept looking at the sketch all morning and just wanted to share some of the features that were present.

Seeing was Ant I to II earlier. It seemed to stay about Ant II after the clouds passed, but the atmospheric dispersion was pretty bad. I think this just killed the most delicate features. Anyway, last one before Christmas.

The north was kind of bland compared to other longitudes, but the features were just so nice to leave languishing as pencil lead on bond paper. LRS-1 and ROZ are near the preceding limb. I still cannot make out any hue in ROZ, just a hint that is there. There is a cut in the NEB and a faint protrusion defining where it is. And the EZ is striking in that it's getting more difficult. No rifting was noted, just a brighter concentration noticed later in the NEB (and corrected on the sketch to the trailing limb just following the GRS.)

Merry Christmas.

Attached Files

#2 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

Norme - you must have had poor seeing because the detail is at my level !! LOL

But you have still managed to draw it beautifully.

I need to ask you about the GRS - sometimes I think I can see a darker nucleus but never manage to lock onto it so I don't draw it - have you ever seen/suspected this ??

Thanks for all the feedback and help recently - have a great Christmas.

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

David, yea, somthing was amiss last night. Dunno what.

I cannot see the GRS nucleus by itself. At very best maybe its a difficult extention barely protruding north from the darker southern half. Its not from a lack of trying. It just aint there yet. Maybe its one of those details one can learn to see or thats as good as it gets.

Sounds like we get similar views. So yes I barely see it and it is hard to lock down as the GRS rolls slightly in seeing. So I sketch my interpretation of what I strongly suspect seeing. Same with rifts and other faint fleeting detail. After years of comparing sketches with images, I've become confident doing so.

By the way, was thinking about your sketch as that triplet of ovals appeared on the limb. You drew it perfectly as seen from there.

Merry Christmas.

#4 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for another fantastic sketch, Norme!

It has been a week (or two, or three) since I've last viewed Jove, but one thing that I've noticed in other people's sketches/photos is a lack of "deep" festoon detail. Yes, they are there, but they seem "dimmer" and smaller this season.

I just thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me.

:grin:

-stray-

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

I though it was my eyes, too, Mark. I guess they are less active. Hey, good luck with Jove, soon, and your light leakage mod.

Merry Christmas.

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Norme,
Nice work as usual. I see the darkening limb on the NEB I see it better in your sketch, this was the irregularity I spoke of in my observation.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas,

Ken

#7 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Beautiful as usual Norme.

I didn't comment all your latest sketches, you are too peoductive but they are all very nice.

As for me, I'm going to do my sun in few minutes back after 7 days!

Andre

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Andre, you've been posting a lot recently, I'm just trying to keep up. :)

I keep tabs on your work...pop in any time. Thank you, sir, and Merry Christmas.

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Norme, could you try to add a bit of edge darkening to your sketching template? I think it would give a much more 3D appearance.

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of the Dec. 23 Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Norme, fantastic. I see a very similar horizontal banding of colors in your image when compared to Paul's. That's a terrific feature that I fear I will miss by the time I get the skies for it.

Anyhow, look at that white band in the middle of the planet. Wow. If you squint you might see something in there. Like...other shades of white. :lol: Seriously, that is some washed out EZ going on there. You did do a fine job extracting such faint detail, though.

I like how you represented the GRS with the sharp border. That is how I see it in better skies. Nice work. Keep shoveling in the Hershey bars, bro. :grin:

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Jason, you know how hard it is to observe bright shades of white? Squinting to see something there is about right. :lol:

Every time I see the brighter whiteish EZ, I always think of your experience with it. But, you know, when those white features at the base of some festoons show up, hey, all of a sudden the EZ is not white. It can't be, even though it looks white. Those other features define white, the EZ is something else: another shade of white. (I couldn't have said it better myself.) :)

Yea, Paul and I caught the same longitude several days apart. That was striking.

Hey, best wishes with your binoviewer and your conditions. Merry Christmas.

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well I like it Norme. I can se where your not finished - still its quite nice and covers another longtiude on the CM so its also a good link between other pieces. I don't blame you for the chocolate stuffing. Been jones ing here since Saturn which come to think of it - I didn't get to see much of!!! Uranus and Neptune were nice too but nothing like Jove.

You certain are prolific - nice work.

It'd be wild if you did a 3D globe of Jupiter with your art after the apparition is winding down.

Pete

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Pete, I though about taking all those sketches and pasting them into an avi. That might be cool, if not very jumpy being days apart. LOL

Hey, a strip map?

#15 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

A strip map is an excellent idea too. Though once you have a strip
Map you can put that in a graphic sphere and look at your map in 3D - as much as 2D can appear 3D.

Pete

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yea, Jason did one like that. Okay, maybe. Maybe even do a strip map of Sys I and of Sys II and slide Sys I inside Sys II as those longitudes change over time. That seems like a lot of work. A project.

#17 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Norme,

Even your unfinished, interrupted sketches look great.

Frank :)

#18 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

Norme, fantastic sketch.

Us is the overcast sky. I thought, I'll have time over the holidays draw Jupiter. The weather decided that I would do anything in the evening. At least here I can see what you're left behind. :)

#19 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hey, I feel your pain. Got clouded out tonight. I hope you can post an observation soon, Jupiter is quite beautiful. Thanks, Tamas, again.

#20 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Norme,

Another excellent sketch. You keep cranking out the great sketches!

The oval near the GRS looks familiar. The light patches bordering the NTB are special. They add another dimension that contrasts with the darker features. I'll look for these next time I'm out. I like the subtle shading that is in your sketches. LRS and ROZ and WSZ are some of the features on my list that I see you nailed.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#21 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Dean, thank you. I have not seen the ROZ outright, maybe you can with more aperture. I wish you good luck. I can just see more or less where it is. It's seems to be defined by a brighter cut in the NEB at times. The best I can make out is a tiny finger of slightly darker cloud protruding into the NTrZ. It's not seen directly, but there is something there.

Yea, the NTrZ is a difficult nut to crack. There are really no high contrast features to see there. This bland zone demands a bit of study and deliberate attention, regardless. Sometimes it is light gray all over. Sometimes fleeting flashes of brighter whites can be seen along the northern NEB. And rarely at other times the southern NTrZ is just barely brighter than it's northern half. Often I neglect it because there is nothing that stands out to be seen. I forced myself to get into the habit of giving it a good once over. That can sometimes pay off with pale contrasts we might otherwise miss.

By the way, had Jupiter in Ant III-IV last night. Man, it washed out into a mosaic of blended and washed out hues with very little in the way of detail. The trailing wake was no longer a network of well defined streaks and softly billowing "nebula" confined between darker brown structures. It was just a lightly blurred hue tapering inside a darker blurred hue. Man, seeing makes a huge difference, maybe all the difference.

If you are like me and don;t pay much attention to the NTrZ, try giving it a good once over to see what it will offer up. It's a difficult and bland zone to observe. But, it needs deliberate attention rather than scanning the entire planet for those fleeting moments of detail. Ignore them for a few minutes and study the NTrZ intently by itself. It'll sometimes give itself up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics