• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

I awoke to what looked to be some clear skies this morning. As the children slept thinking of Santa and the reindeer. I took a trip out to the scope. It's crisp 24 F with a bit of wind, humidy is 75% and there is a haze. We are expecting some snow showers today with more cold. Seeing was not good. I noticed after observing for a while. I sketched anyway to show my seeing. Some things I did notice. The NEB looks irregular to me maybe its my seeing but it's wider on one end than the other. I notice it in some other sketches as well. The GRS was just starting a transit as I finished my sketch but it was not easily made out.

CM 1 67.16
CM 2 106.9
CM 3 349.7

I used a W82a filter and two different apodizers both helped some. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

Ken

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Colored drawing

Attached Files

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

Ken, it's not your seeing, the NEB is irregular and can be thinner at the limb. It can be for two reasons. One because it is, and the other because it's wrapping around the planet away from you. Nice catch. I often forget that and sketch it straight across. It's a rookie mistake I still make. :lol:

I see you captured some stronger hues in the GRS. And you captured some festooning. That's a feat in itself, lately. They appear less prominent that a weak or so ago. I think I recognize that crooked one. Welcome to Jupiter's ever changing appearance.

You got a real good view of the STB just south of the SEB. And the NTB just north of the complex and twisted NEB, of course. And the darker SSTeB, too. I get the feeling you see color. :lol: That's cool.

Hey, gotta run. Merry Christmas and sorry for the not so good seeing. More later...cheers.

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Norme,
I ended up doing a color drawing in the kitchen seeing as my older daughter was up. I used water colored pencils which show a bit of extra color in pictures than in the log book. I always see quite a bit of color though guess it is my eyes,

I did pick up a slight festoon with the apodizer and I wrote about it in the log book. I don't think the heat coming off the roof tops helped me seeing any.

Ken

#5 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Nice sketch Ken.

Andre

#6 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ken, congratulations for drawing Jupiter at a chilly 23'F

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Ken, na, heat from from roof tops in the cold of night is not a good thing. Fortunately, in the tropics everything is hot. :lol:

I wanted to come back to your color sketch because you show some read in the NEB and more of a yellowish hue both north and south, on either side of the darker streak, in the SEB. Again, that's great to see color so well. I see it, but it's much more subdued.

We're just this side of the dateline, so Christmas was celebrated already...noonish East Coast time.

Do you sketch with a template? It helps a lot. You can make one using a real Jupiter image.

#8 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Andre, David ,

It's snowing here now light but very nice looking.

Norme,
I do see color pretty well with Jupiter and doubles. I saw a neon green with ISON last month so I guess I am lucky. We are at 1 PM here on Christmas Eve so the fun is just beginning, grandparents on the way over to see the kids and the party will just keep going,

Hope you all have a Happy Christmas

Ken

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ken,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

You've captured some nice delicate structures in those bands, Ken. Good catch on the NEB width.

#11 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Nice work with Jupiter.

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ken, These look very good.
Glad to see you got a weather break.

Frank :)

#13 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. I got a real nice view of Venus tonight before dinner, I was able to show my brother in law the very thin crescent. A nice sunset followed and then in came the clouds. The kids are all tired out and in bed.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas,

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics