Astrotortilla slew off target...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

I've been using Astrotortilla and it's solving very quickly. But no matter what I set the slew until within setting, the target isn't in the center of the FOV. It is typically 1/3 of the way from the left side.

Here are my settings, my equipment is in my signature. This is using the Edge HD 800.

Posted Image

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

That's pretty much what I am getting too. Since I am not running everything fully automated (e.g. ACP, CCD Autopilot, etc), I can just scoot the object over with my planetarium's arrow keys. However, if you are automating everything then I completely understand why you would want near-prefect results. I hope to do that someday so will follow this thread to see what kind of feedback others can give you :)

#3 Vostok

Vostok

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Try changing JNOW to J2000?

Lauri

#4 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Is this at prime focus? If so maybe you have cone error in your setup.

My ed80 and C11 at f2 are spot on. The only things I would do is check you have the same Jnow set in your planetarium software. You could reduce your search radius down from 45 degrees to maybe 10 degrees. That will not get more accuracy but it will speed up solves.

#5 Astroman

Astroman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

I was getting the same thing also. I will try the J2000 option tonight and see if that may be the cause.

Included an image to show how far off I am all the time.

BTW I have only been using AT for one night so very much a newbie with it.

Attached Files

#6 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

I do have cone error in my setup, that is why I'm using plate solving. I don't think cone error has any bearing on the solve.

What Astroman is showing is very similar to what I see, but my target is slightly further off.

Come to think of it, it had solved perfectly in the past. I don't know why this came on all of a sudden.

#7 proteus5

proteus5

Apollo

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

I have the same issue, but mine it off to the top. Each time AT syncs and slews it move farther and farther up until it goes out of the fov to the top. AT then reports it's within 1'. This is with a canon t2i on a Meade 10" SCT mounted on an atlas eq-g.

With my 80ed it does the same except because of the wider fov, the target ends up about half way from the center to the top edge.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

Is this at prime focus? If so maybe you have cone error in your setup.

How would cone error cause this?

#9 proteus5

proteus5

Apollo

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

I was able to get this working for my mount. I had to upgrade EQMOD to version 127l from their yahoo groups site. I was on version 124g which doesn't have settings for J2000 or JNow. Once I updated I was able to set EQMOD, CDC, and Astrotortilla all to J2000. Everything is now dead center. (For some reason that I can't figure out, when all three software packages are set to JNOW it's still off though)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics