Free Mac program for stacking?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BePrepared

BePrepared

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:42 AM

So i think i might be mildly retarded, as i can't seem to figure out how the hell this stacking thing works. Is there a VERY simple program that will let me get the hang of it?

#2 RealSorin

RealSorin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

You can technically do stacking in photoshop or any other image editor that supports layers, but a program like Nebulosity (available for Mac) is going to be a better bet. Bottom line is there is no iAstroPhoto product. Expect to spend some time reading tutorials and manuals. I use a Mac as well, and invested in a copy of Nebulosity early on. I don't regret it. You can download it as a trial copy that stamps the images, but is otherwise functional enough to give you a sense of the process. Craig Stark also has some really good tutorials on his site. http://stark-labs.com

I have not found any freeware stacking programs for Mac. At least none that have been updated in recent years.

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:09 AM

DeekSkyStacker is free but it is a Windows program; more details in 'Appendix Q' of this... document. Regards

#4 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

Nebulosity is the best bet for OSX and it really is quite affordable. If free is the only way you go, Keith's Image Stacker will work but the interface is hard for a novice to understand.

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Lynkeos

Free,made specifically for Mac but, unfortunately, only for planetary imaging.

(You didn't say what kind of imaging you are doing....)

Dave

#6 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

*If* you have access to a copy of Windows running in VMWare Fusion or Parallels or BootCamp on your mac then get Deep Sky Stacker. I hate to give that advice but that is the way to do both easy and free stacking.

As already mentioned Nebulosity is a good choice for the inexpensive route. Not quite as simple as DSS is for stacking, but it serves well as Capture Control, Calibration & Stacking, and basic Post-stack Processing and is both Mac OS X and Windows compatible.

#7 BePrepared

BePrepared

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

I just purchased Nebulosity

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics