10 replies to this topic

#1 cbwerner

cbwerner

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

TheSky6 had a function where you could enter your horizons and use the result as a mask against the depiction of the night sky, such that you could see a sky chart for any given time with the obstructed horizons covering the parts of the star chart that they would be blocking. What software other than the sky does this?

Example from TheSky6 attached.

Thanks.

EDIT: Yeah, I had crummy horizons at my old house.

Attached Files

#2 Thomas Pfleger

Thomas Pfleger

Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi Chris,
Eye&Telescope can provide a similar display. You could try the demo version to find out whether it is what you look for.
See www.eyeandtelescope.com for the demo or more information.
Kind regards
Tom

#3 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

I've been using Stellarium for telescope control and it also has this feature, but it's very difficult and time consuming to setup. You are pretty much taking a 360 panoramic photo and setting the limits on that.

I've never gotten through the whole process, but would love it if there was an easier way. How difficult was it to setup in the Sky?

#4 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

C2A, Cartes du Ciel (CdC), Hallo Northern Sky (HNSky), Stellarium, WinStars 2, XEphem.

And others, I'm sure.

#5 cbwerner

cbwerner

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks guys, I'll look into those.

Adam - in TheSky you just entered alt-az coordinates for the horizon limits in pairs. I did every 5° of azimuth. So it was a bit tedious, but not bad.

#6 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Chris, did you live in the bottom of a well? :-P

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

... in TheSky you just entered alt-az coordinates for the horizon limits in pairs. I did every 5° of azimuth. So it was a bit tedious, but not bad.

If you connect a computer controlled scope to TheSky ... you can set the horizon limits with greater accuracy and far quicker than using the manual input method.

Just open the "Telescope" menu ... "Link" your scope ... and open both the "Telescope Line Editor" box and "Motion Controls" box. Next, slew to the horizon using the motion control keys ... click-on "Horizon Line" and "Continually Follow Telescope" in the Telescope Line Editor box. Then, just scan 360º along the horizon using the motion keys ... while looking through the main scope or finder ... and the local horizon will be automatically drawn in TheSky display. Save it and you're all set! You can also save local horizons for many different locations. Great tool ... great program. :)

#8 cbwerner

cbwerner

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Steve - sure felt that way every time I took the scope out! :shocked:

#9 burb scope

burb scope

Messenger

• Loc: Canton, MI

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

Skytools 3 allows you to define your horizon also.

#10 semiosteve

semiosteve

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

As noted, Skytools 3 allows you to edit the horizon.

To my knowledge, no program yet has a related feature to allow you to define (at least one) "sweet spot" in the overhead sky for planning observations, although I suppose you could "edit the horizon" in such a way to eliminate less desirable parts of the sky.

Likewise, I am not aware of any program that allows you define and eliminate an area near the zenith, which can be problematic for Dobsonians and longer FL refractors.

#11 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi Chris,

If you have an iOS device you can use Observer Pro to measure your horizon and visualize it against a large database of objects (I had a similar problem which is why I created Observer Pro in the first place). It's been way too long since I've updated it but I'm finally working on an update now.

Josh

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics