First Mars

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Wow, it's still tiny at 6.7" arc, but you can see some features. It was hard to decide what I was seeing, but Mare Cimmerium looked a little familiar with it's greenish tint on the southern limb. It was a tad lighter south of there.

The polar cap was easy, as was what looks to be Utopia - just barely - and Mare Boreum. Apparently Syrtis Major was on the limb, but I could not make it out. One white spot consistent with Libya was spotted.

Mars was still quite low at 28 Dec 2100UT, give or take. It was rolling pretty badly in the seeing, probably Ant IV. But it cleaned up enough to make out some tiny features at 360x.

Okay, first mars of the season. Yippee! :)

Forgive my template, still trying to figure out how to make the phase look better.

Attached Files

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

Better?!? Looks great to me, Norme. All of you sketchers are bad influences. I think I'm going to have to give this little guy a try.

Anyway, for a gibbous disk of less than 7" of arc this is an impressive observation to my eyes. I don't know the features of the red olive. Is that little bump of dark at the top right Terra Sirenum? Is south up? Where do you get your feature data?

I think I'll dust off the little newt if seeing continues to plague us just so I can give Mars a go.

#3 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Nice drawing Norme. I like Observing Mars but I don't like getting up early so will wait another month or two for it to come into the evening sky.....

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Very nice Norme and at 7" not bad at all !!!! BTW I used your drawing for a baseline standard to work from on calculating what I could expect. Here it is:

Pete

Attached Files

#5 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Norme - Very good work with Mars. You have picked-up some nice features.

#6 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Very nicely done, Norme! The colours look spot-on to me and in spite of Mars still being quite far away you already spotted quite some detail with your 6".

@Pete: I hope that in reality you'd see it a bit better than that... :D

Peter

#7 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Norme, glad you finally got to observe Mars now that it's starting to rise in the late evening. Good observation, too.

Ed D

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

All, typing on android is difficult plus got Jove on the zenith. Jasin" I'll get that to you soon. Pete, okay that was funny, gotta fly up there and kick you out tge back door, I suppose, to see Mars. I think mine was Ant IV. Ug! But it settled enough. More later.

#9 ggalilei

ggalilei

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

That's one mean MCT-eye duo you've got going there! A lot of detail. Motivates me to at least try to look at the tiny orb!

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Jason, a little rusty on Mars, but here are three nice references. Speaking of that, it was truly a different experience than Jupiter. Not sure how, exactly, just different. Of course it was smaller, different color, all that. Maybe it was the feature contrast. Dunno.

http://www.skyandtel...javascript/mars
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

And Mars Previewer II, a freeware program online. You can google it, install it, done.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Nice drawing Norme. I like Observing Mars but I don't like getting up early so will wait another month or two for it to come into the evening sky.....

David, I'm with ya. The only reason I caught it is because I finished Jupiter at 3AM. It'll be around soon enough.

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thank you, Rutilus, you actually inspired a look. I wasn't quite ready to observe, but you were seeing detail. Had to see what was up.

Thank you, too, Peter. Yea, maybe the color is about right. With 300 billion to choose from, it's not easy sometimes picking it. Got lucky. :)

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Norme, glad you finally got to observe Mars now that it's starting to rise in the late evening. Good observation, too.

Ed D

Me too, Ed. Thanks. Was it your post asking if anyone is observing Mars, yet? Add my name to the short list. :)

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

That's one mean MCT-eye duo you've got going there! A lot of detail. Motivates me to at least try to look at the tiny orb!

Go for it, Antonino. Rutilus's drawings were showing detail. It's there. Small but there. Post a sketch, if you want.

#15 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Norme,
Nice work, I have yet to stay up late enough to see mars. Good job!

Ken

#16 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Norme,
Nice drawing !

#17 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks guys, I hope you both can see Mars soon enough.

#18 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Norme,

Very nice First Mars sketch :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#19 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Norme,

A great sketch to kick off the Mars season. Good colors on the sketch. I did observe it Sunday morning but the seeing was pretty bad with only a hint of the NPC. Mars is such a cool planet it will be good to see it again.

Dean

#20 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Norme

Very nice sketch work and details with Mars being so diminutive as yet at only 6.7" arc.
I have not looked at the JPL Simulator for some time but here it is for your sketch time >
http://s10.photobuck...rDec28201321...

I look forward to seeing your next observations and sketch works.

Mark
Mark Seibold CN Sketch and Photography Gallery [8 pages]

*Sorry I cannot seem to get images to display as open here in my response as it has been so long that I posted images, but you'll see the Mars image from JPL linked site here if not in my Photobucket photo hosting. >
[image]Posted Image[/image]

#21 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Mark, yes, I had to use JPL sim and Mars Previewer to understand what I was seeing. That's how small Mars is. :)

Thank you. I am not going to put this sketch up against one of yours, though. So, rest easy. :lol:

Dean, yea, it's coming. Man, last night...I observed again but fell victim to looking way too hard at it in Ant III seeing. There was some faint dark shading about mid northern latitudes. Maybe some illusion. I thought it might be a very weak Mare Acidalium. Wrong! I blew the observation. Mare Cimmerium was still in the south, Utopia near the limb, but not really seen.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics