• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Finally latest 50% Surplusshed discount 5" f5 Jaegers seconds found it's home in the tube. The lens is excellent and not only for deep sky. It is very nice corrected and shows only hint of purple and some larger blue halo around Jupiter. Pinpoint stars over the entire field. Much better for large nebulas and Andromeda than any dob because they fit in the field of 25mm erfle eyepiece. My friend machinist made the plastic cell for me which is very stable. Focuser is smooth and also made of machined plastic and runs on the threaded rod.

Posted Image

the cell in machining stage.

Posted Image

Finished scope

Posted Image

10x60 finder made out of broken Breaker 12x60 and dewshield from cardboard made great improvement for cold winter nights.

#2 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

i admire handiwork and having the skills and imagination to make something like this, but, and i don't want to offend you, that telescope is so ugly i wonder who can it's momma be.

#3 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

:gotpopcorn:

#4 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

Having once had a Jaegers 5-in f/5 I wonder about the light cone being vignetted.

Also, I would really like to see more pictures and description of the focuser mechanism.

Good build and ATMing at it's best.

#5 Ravenous

Ravenous

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

i admire handiwork and having the skills and imagination to make something like this, but, and i don't want to offend you, that telescope is so ugly i wonder who can it's momma be.

I think it's beautiful! Does it have an unmarried sister? :roflmao:

#6 Mark Hatch

Mark Hatch

Sputnik

• Loc: Moraga, CA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thank you! Motivation for me to get my 5" f5 second done too!

Mark

#7 Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: The IE

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Man you need to realize that not everywhere in the world is there a hardware store around every corner like here in the states, where one can walk in, shop the plumbing section and leave with everything to build a nice tube.

My hat is off to the OP for getting something built despite not having that convenience. Bottom line is he is observing with a 5" refractor so he is happy and that's what matters

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Jako lijepo! I know you have to work on a tight budget, Stipe, that makes it more special. Do you have a star diagonal for the eyepiece?

#9 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

Yes, 1.25" diagonal only. This focuser is also for 2" barell size. And that's right, here in Croatia the building materials are scarce and I'm happy to build this scope. Few people here have big refractors.

#10 ccaissie

ccaissie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Look through it, not at it. You from Brockton? Thought so.

#11 Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: The IE

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Yes, 1.25" diagonal only. This focuser is also for 2" barell size. And that's right, here in Croatia the building materials are scarce and I'm happy to build this scope. Few people here have big refractors.

Hey OP do you have pictures of some of your other scopes you might share?

I for one am interested in the creative way that people get things accomplished when they have minimum resources to work with. I'd love to see them

#12 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

Nice. Getting used is the important thing, Using what you have on a budget is what a lot ATM is about.

#13 danmdak

danmdak

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Excellent! I like it! And make sure your friend who did the machining for you gets to look thru it. Thats a nice way to say thanks.

#14 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Yes, he tried it on Jupiter at 220x using 2x barlow and 6mm gold line wide planetary and stunning views of m42 with 25mm wide Konig :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics