I Blew Mars

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Wow, seeing was about Ant III and upwards of 360x. Okay, the polar cap and the darker collar were visible. There was a darkening in the south. But, overall Mars appeared kind of bland, with some interesting light and dark interplay.

So, okay, observing that faint dark and light, I thought I was making out a very weak Mare Acidalium. That faint dark "thing" kind of hung off the polar collar much like Acidalium.

Turns out Mare Acidalium was nowhere on the meridian at all. I blew it. Maybe trying to hard to interpret that light and dark interplay and they are not really a feature at all. Just an illusion. Maybe if Acidalium were there it might have bee better contrast and easier. We'll see.

I guess it boils down to relearning Mars and how it's features really look. And becoming familiar with it's rotation, too. Apparently, it was pretty much near the same meridian as a couple nights ago, with Cimmerium in the south and Utopia closer to the limb and not seen.

So, blew that one. :lol:

Sketch later, after Jupiter is done, and only because it's interesting as a failure to get it right.

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

Your a brave man, and the god of war has a sense of humor!

Pete

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

Right now, I am blowing my Jove sketch, too. Need more coffee, stretch.

Ah, you gotta be able to laugh at yourself. It's more upsetting when people laugh at you, though. :)

I tried a new eyepiece Barlow combo on Jupiter still at 240x. Not real happy with the observation, maybe that was it or the seeing. It was getting early and I had to rush into it.

Anyway, after coming off Jupiter where I am so accustomed to pulling those faintest shades, maybe Mars is more relaxed with higher contrast. So, that faint light and dark interplay is not so important.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

Norme ,

Referring to SS can offer some clarity to what's being seen. That's a planet in particular that can really throw you a curve and seem abstracted into something its not until you get your bearings. More than once Ive looked and wondered what the heck was what .

I'm looking forward to using the 8" again on that planet. Its been so long since Ive seen that object through that particular scope. Every apparition for like - eight years the scope was either mothballed, or something and the 70 mm sat in for it. Gonna be nice nice - even at Pickering 6 I got tonight.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

Ah, yea, forgot about SS. Thanks for the reminder.

Yea, Pete, go for it. I was seeing in in Ant III, maybe Ant IV. You can see stuff.

Here's a very quick outline of what was visible. Some lights and darks, some features arranged like this. Maybe, only maybe, a slight 'tit' coming off the collar near the terminator.

Attached Files

#6 ggalilei

ggalilei

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

Norme, I presume you're familiar with this, right?
http://www.skyandtel...ts/3307831.html
To check what surface features were showing.

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

Antonio, yes, thanks. That one is a little more difficult for me than Mars Previewer. Last night, though, I had no idea what longitude would be available. It was just another opportunistic look to try and figure it out. I checked afterward and realized I blew the call on Acidalium.

#8 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

That's good Norme considering it's aloong way from us.

#9 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Lovely drawing, Norme! Personally I think that you should just go outside and draw what you see without knowing which features should be visible. In your case your knowledge about Mars' surface is probably too great so you're already interpreting what you see and hence you become biased. On the other hand that's a compliment because it proves what an experienced observer you are... :D

Peter

#10 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Norme,
Looks good to me. I always marvel at what can be seen in a modest scope.

Ken

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Peter, thats a great point about familiarity with your subject. Gotta run to festivities, but wanna explore that concept some more later.

Thanks all and Happy New Year.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics