3 Spots & 4 Pickerings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Last night I had the opportunity to see the trio of white spots in the norther hemisphere that have been a persistent feature configuration this apparition. What made for interesting observing is the variability if seeing that started at Pickering 3 and improved to Pickering 6 - all the while my trying to tease out this elusive trio.

Pickering 3: Forget it in my 8". Its erased smooth and blank like it never existed.

Pickering 4: OK, now there's this lighter tone soft edged ellipse or smoothed bar. It is uniform in intensity throughout its length and no indication its anything more than a brighter anomalous ghosting of things unresolved.

Pickering 5: Now its interesting. Its got a flattened funnel or V shape and its unevenly bright. Seems narrower on a way than Pickering 4 if only because definition is beginning to edge out its forms better.

Pickering 6: Now its no long one unit of uneven contrast as the following spot appearing more defined is seen to be seperated. It has a higher albedo and more certain edges. The two spots preceding are still not seperated in this Picketing value and instead appear analogous to a Dawes double - merged and notched.

All details reported at 200x, 8" f/9.

Pete

Attached Files

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Intense observation, and a great reference for such observing. Nice work, Pete.

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Pete, that's a beautiful illustration. I've seen those ovals many times, and each of those ways from pretty much gone to well resolved. I'm glad you got a chance to really see that unique feature.

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Pete,

Great observation. I fight with the weather and seeing here quite a bit. Snow squalls coming through now.

Hope you get some clear skies.

Happy New Year!

Ken

#5 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

It's amazing how much a steady seeing can reveal and you caught that very well. You made a very detailed observation which no doubt cost you a bit of patience. But on the other hand it's obvious that you have an expert eye! :D

Peter

#6 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

Good work Pete - I have never seen the ovals but did manage to see a bright area similar to your Pickering 4 drawing, most of the time my seeing is P5 (AIII) !

#7 blackhaz

blackhaz

Vanguard

• Loc: Prague, Czech Republic

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Wow that's "spot on", Pete! I'm just back observing the trio and I can't agree more with your representation. In 10" and 6/10 seeing I had today, I think I have some separation and I think I can call it a trio but I'm afraid that's only because Norme told me there is a trio a few days ago.

Happy New Year!

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

This grouping is now my fav feature to follow though I look forward to BA and its low contrasting neighboring tones that make it more challenging than a year ago.

I'm glad my view agrees with the experience of others here - makes it all the more worthwhile.

Pete

#9 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Wow, this is a very interesting illustration.

Andre

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics