• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

• Loc: PNW, US

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi,

What do y'all think of "Portable Newtonian Telescopes" by Albert Highe for an 8 inch? I have been looking for something a little beyond the Berry "Build Your Own Telescope" level and was impressed by the table of contents of the Highe book at Willmann-Bell. But I wasn't sure how much of it would apply to my little 8".

Are there other publications I should consider? I'd be using the 8" Cave in my sig so I'm mostly concerned about construction and not mirror grinding. I'd like to optimize it for planetary as well as making it more portable and light weight than a simple solid tube.

I've been puttering with cell design this winter but I'm hoping for a little more guidance.

Much thanks
Sam

#2 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

An f7 presents some balance challenges. I have an f5 that only weighs 11lbs and when I put my f6 (longer poles of course) into it I had to ad12lbs of counterweight to the back of the cell.

Tom Clark has a great design more suitable for your f7. But its a trad fob. It does pack up into a very small box something like 12x13x15

#3 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Danny

#4 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Altho I no longer have it the Kriege/Berry book for building large dobs has a chapter on building an 8-in starter dob.

But, FWIW, I still have a signed copy of the Berry "Build Your Own Telescope" and like it even tho there some improvements that could be made on his designs.

#5 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Signed!

That's cool. Perhaps I should just get one and experiment.
Sam

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

a split truss is the best thing I think for that size.

if you build the middle section big enough, when you remove the trusses, while the top and bottom can create a "box" to carry the scope [minus the trusses] in a very smaller package. picture the model in the link without the trusses.

you can build this scope for either a gem or a dob or both.

and you can make your own truss connectors so you don't have to spend over $400 on commercial set. it will cost about $60 in material.

not very hard at all.

#7 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I like your design Danny. Robert Royce has a design also on his website.

#8 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Danny, Andy. The split-truss looks a little daunting but it does address most of my "wish list". Something to chew on. The instructions at the Royce site are a little lean for my experience level but perhaps do-able.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sam

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

those instruction.... :help:

you can use your existing cell. make 4 plates. 16 truss connectors. get a 1800 destiny spider. a moonlite focuser. some tube and bam there ya go.

if you need help I can draw the parts on a 1 to 1 sheet that you can print at kinkos.

if I sent the file to a cnc it would cost $50 for the 5'x5' 1/2" baltic birch and probably $180 for cutting yours and mine. :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics