• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before but does anyone use the Dark sky meter for iPhone? I'm sure its not as accurate as a dedicated meter is but I'm sure it would give me a general idea.

#2 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Well I'm not familiar with this app! I actually didn't know of it until your post, g. I'd be interested in a review of it too. BTW... Great on the transplant! They're amazing organs and efficient. Good Health and Clear Skies :waytogo:

#3 nwcs

nwcs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

I use it. I see that a couple people in my area use it, too, since I sometimes see readings that I didn't add.

#4 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks.. It looks interesting so hopefully it has at least decent performance. I'll read up on it more...

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

There is quite a few users. It works pretty good and I like it. Obviously if I had a actual SQM to calibrate it... But it's good enough.

#6 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Well I'm not familiar with this app! I actually didn't know of it until your post, g. I'd be interested in a review of it too. BTW... Great on the transplant! They're amazing organs and efficient. Good Health and Clear Skies :waytogo:

Thanks about my Transplant its going well it will be 2 years in April. I will say that if you or anyone ever wants to talk about it send me a message I'll be glad to share my experience. I've had 2 over the past 14 years but its doing it job that's all that counts. anyways, I think the only way to do a proper write up is to have an actual meter and right now I have my money saved for a mount which is WAY more important. same to you with health and skies :)

#7 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

raginar I would say that yes an actual SQM is best and the app would put you in the ballpark and that is how I see it I wish I could get my hands on a SQM to compare to but we will see I'm heading up to the dealer tomorrow cause the Mrs's said I could spend money so wahooo more toy's happy new year to all

#8 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

I use the app and it gives me a pretty accurate mental picture of just how bad my sky is...

As far as accuracy goes...I honestly do not know BUT it is consistent and that is all I need to know when I take a reading and see how it compares to the last few I took on previous nights...

Good enough for me to know that my sky is Better then it was last night BUT sucks in comparison to what It was 3 weeks ago etc...

Bob G

#9 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

I went ahead and bought the app. I'll give it a whirl and see how it does. I appreciate the OP posting this as I wasn't familiar with it... Thanks....

#10 FoggyEyes

FoggyEyes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I have had it for several months. There are not very many measurements with it in Ohio, unfortunately, and I don't get around much. I think it would be great if a lot of people used it in a state or several counties; maybe it isn't as accurate as an SQM, but it would be useful to rate different places with others.

#11 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I use it, and have made a bunch of comparisons to my Unihedron. It is so close, I don't bother with my Unihedron anymore.

#12 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

I've used the app for a couple of nights. I only saw a few readings on the map and they were more in the red and white zone. I'm in an orange zone and there are no readings close to me. However I've submitted the ones I've done so maybe more will follow?? Seems to be a nice app though...

#13 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Shame this isn't supported on the iPod. Not sure why though.

#14 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

i think it's a matter of the camera hardware being different in the iPod. if the developer got a few different generations of iPod I'm sure he/she could make it work - probably just an issue of calibration.

#15 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Netherlands, Valkenburg

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

Hi all,
I'm the developer. The iPod isn't supported because of the 'bad' camera. Thats why we don't support iPads too. They are quite 'blind' at night.
Apple doesn't allow developers to directly control shutter speed (ie: long exposure) so we had to choose models with good camera's : 4S , 5, 5C and 5S (officially supported in the upcoming release)
So the reason is technical and apple policy.

Regards
Norbert

#16 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Norbert.

#17 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi all,
I'm the developer. The iPod isn't supported because of the 'bad' camera. Thats why we don't support iPads too. They are quite 'blind' at night.
Apple doesn't allow developers to directly control shutter speed (ie: long exposure) so we had to choose models with good camera's : 4S , 5, 5C and 5S (officially supported in the upcoming release)
So the reason is technical and apple policy.

Regards
Norbert

Can you do an Android app It would be much appreciated.

Terry.

#18 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Sorry Terry, it is not possible. Too many camera's and too many devices..Nearly impossible to make.
You can read all about it on my website darkskymeter.com (FAQ)

#19 BarryBrown

BarryBrown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hi, I just found this topic and downloaded the app on my 5S.

Does the uploaded data eventually find its way into the popular dark sky maps, such as jshine and djlorenz?

#20 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hi Barry

The app provides data to the darkskymeter.com/map website (with almost 10.000 measurements) and provides instant data to the Globe at Night project.

It might be interesting to team up with the other maps.

Regards

Norbert

#21 BarryBrown

BarryBrown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

It might be interesting to team up with the other maps.

That's what I'd like to see. A comprehensive, crowdsourced dark sky map would be a real asset to have.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics