•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

dark sky meter app

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Yeah,

I got it to work at home, and then tried it at the dark site last weekend, and all I got was that it was either too dark, or something about invalid. I was thinking it was a bust. Good to see you are working on it.

Alex

#27 Ahab

Ahab

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oracle,Az

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before but does anyone use the Dark sky meter for iPhone? I'm sure its not as accurate as a dedicated meter is but I'm sure it would give me a general idea.

I use it. I'm a member of a local Dark Sky committee, we have a dedicated meter. My iPhone gives slightly lower readings but is consistent so I've learned to trust it.

#28 Oscar56

Oscar56

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

I just started using this app this week on my iPhone 6 with iOS 9.02.  The measurements for my site make sense based on my location.  I am pleased to see that at least 2 other posters on this thread have measured the app against traditional dedicated meters and have found the apps readings to be within reason.

• Sarkikos likes this

#29 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:40 AM

The problem that the developer faces is that with each new iPhone that comes out, he has to adjust his software to the newer cameras. I don't think he has addressed the 6s iPhones yet. He has done a great job so far.

JohnD

#30 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

Sorry Terry, it is not possible. Too many camera's and too many devices..Nearly impossible to make.
You can read all about it on my website darkskymeter.com (FAQ)

Another good reason to have an iPhone.  But I also have an Android tablet for the larger screen.

Mike

#31 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Netherlands, Valkenburg

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

The problem that the developer faces is that with each new iPhone that comes out, he has to adjust his software to the newer cameras. I don't think he has addressed the 6s iPhones yet. He has done a great job so far.

JohnD

Thanks John

Calibrating the app for iPhone 4S and 5 took about 5000 measurements, both indoor and outdoor. That takes a lot of time. It is almost impossible to calibrate every device. Let alone buy every device. Dark Sky Meter is voluntary work (sales are enough to keep up the hosting costs)

And another big problem was an undocumented iOS 9 feature which made the devices almost 'blind'. 

So. We are testing with some great volunteers to calculate new formulas for iPhone 6, 6+ (which has a totally different curve) and later 6S and 6S+.

But it will take some time. The app works best with older devices like 4S, 5 and 5S.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics