Harold Suiter Book Version differences

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Can anyone tell me the differences in the new verses the old version of "Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes" by Harold Suiter ? Is it worth having the older version?

Thanks

#2 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Nah, just get the newer version.
Mike

#3 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Nah, just get the newer version.
Mike

I have the first version, and have been thinking about getting the newer one. However, if the newer version is not substantially different from the earlier version, then buying it would be a waste of money.

Could you please provide some more details as to what we would gain by getting the newer version, as opposed to staying with the earlier version we already have?

Thanks! :)

#4 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

As near as I could tell, there were color versions of some simulated views but no real changes to the text

#5 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ed Moreno [Edggie] wrote a review of the first edition on Cloudy Nights (click here for the link) and another review for the second edition on AstroMart (click here for the link).

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Apparently, Suiter addresses Roland's comments on the secondary shadow break out in the new version, from what I gather. Someone mentioned he discusses something about diffraction in terms of double stars, but that commentator would not elaborate. Maybe the review above touches on that, gotta read it. I have the older version.

#7 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

Ed Moreno [Edggie] wrote a review of the first edition on Cloudy Nights (click here for the link) and another review for the second edition on AstroMart (click here for the link).

Unfortunately, while Ed's review of the second edition is good, he doesn't really discuss differences between the two editions that might prompt someone who already owns the first edition to want to buy the second edition.

#8 BigDob Al

BigDob Al

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Can anyone tell me the differences in the new verses the old version of "Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes" by Harold Suiter ? Is it worth having the older version?

Thanks

I have the old version. Found the new version T.O.C. here:
https://www.willbell.com/tm/tm5.htm
From the titles it appears there are plenty of differences , mostly additions .

#9 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Probably just go get the new edition as, let me see, here, it's a NEW edition. And the original was chock full of goodies. :waytogo:

Best,
Mark

#10 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Probably just go get the new edition as, let me see, here, it's a NEW edition. And the original was chock full of goodies. :waytogo:

Best,
Mark

New edition has extra subchapters, comes with extra software, has Zemax simulations . Plenty of extra stuff to justify buying the new one.

#11 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Unfortunately, while Ed's review of the second edition is good, he doesn't really discuss differences between the two editions that might prompt someone who already owns the first edition to want to buy the second edition.

True, but near the end of the second review (last 5 or 6 para) he discusses reasons why one might want the second edition, and why he considers it worthwhile to have.

#12 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

True, but near the end of the second review (last 5 or 6 para) he discusses reasons why one might want the second edition, and why he considers it worthwhile to have.

Unless I'm missing something (and just to be sure, I went back and reread the last part of that review...), I cannot see where he provides any actual, concrete examples of what it is about the second version that makes it definitively better than the first version.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics