2014 Starlight Festival May 24th & 25th

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Please join Scott Roberts and many others at this years Starlight Festival in Big Bear California. The support for this wonderful, public outreach event is unprecedented and sure to please. The StarLight Festival is an educational and entertaining event, geared towards children, young adults, and families. Held annually, this unique celebration of science and astronomy among an atmosphere of music and art has a mission to proliferate an awareness and a better understanding of science and astronomy through interactive outreach and hands on experiences.

visit
www.starlightfestival.com

Clear Skies!

#2 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like a blast, Daniel!

Seeing Gary Palmer talk is worth the price of admission alone.

Thanks for sharing,

Greg

#3 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

• Loc: California

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

On Saturday, May 24, I drove two hours from my white zone LA-area home to the StarLight Festival in Big Bear. The festival delivered-- I had a great time.

Solar viewing at the Lunt exhibit was outstanding. I was able to use Canon IS binos for the first time and can now appreciate their appeal for handheld viewing. At night, people lined up for views through a variety of large refractors, Dobsonians, and SCTs. For me, best-of-show went to views of M13. Through a large refractor, M13 was a clear patch of light that floated in the midst of pinpoint stars in the surrounding field of view. But over at a Celestron EdgeHD, M13 was stunning, resolved into hundreds of individual visible stars.

Attached Files

#4 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

Starlight was excellent! Everything about it was awesome. It was refreshing to see so many new faces coming to check things out. Nearly everyone was new to astronomy that we talked to. The star parties at night were also amazing, nearly the same as you would see at the Grand Canyon Star Party.

In my opinion this event was the best outreach based event ever. This is really the type of event that needs to happen for this hobby. I will be returning next year for sure!

#5 Censustaker

Censustaker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Walnut, CA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

You caught a shot of the small crowd My daughter and had around our 8"dob right there!

#6 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

I saw you guys there on Sunday. I had the refractors on the Paramount not far from you. I meant to come over and say hi but the people kept coming. I hope you guys had a great time!

#7 Censustaker

Censustaker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Haha - We had the same experience had tooons of people coming by. Towards this time of night we blew some guy's mind by showing him M51, M81 and M82. We had a lot of fun.

#8 MallBoy

MallBoy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near the Tannhauser gate

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Curiosity has me wondering how the vendors did at Starlight?

#9 Censustaker

Censustaker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

I think the vendors would have done a lot better if they had kept selling through the star party - they shut down at about 7pm. I had a lot of people asking how much my xt8 cost and were surprised at the cost. They probably could have sold a ton of those little cosmos 76mm reflectors.

#10 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

It was a great event. Even if we didn't sell much it is a very important event to attend. The reason being is that this is really the only major event dedicated to outreach. The hobby really needs events like this, not more trade shows. There needs to be an injection of new life and interest into science and I feel this event did exactly that.

As a vendor though this show had very long days 10am to 11pm. Many vendors were tired.

#11 Censustaker

Censustaker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Just remembered a funny thing happened Saturday night:

I had a lady come and take a look at Saturn through the scope she took a quick look and then stood up and asked me:

"how do get the picture inside there?"

I told her I didn't quite understand the question and after she clarified it turns out she thought she was looking at a lighted pictured of saturn and not through a telescope!

#12 Censustaker

Censustaker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Oh, also skyward_eyes, I just made the connection... it was your outreach at Trinity Lutheran back in March that got me into Astronomy. Thank you!!

#13 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

I had a great time showing the Sun, Jupiter and Mars to attendees. My telescope was set up near the flagpoles and the stage.

#14 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Here is my interview at Starlight Festival

Matt Ota Story

#15 Censustaker

Censustaker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

awesome interview! That's my daughter with Wall-E at 14 seconds into the video.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics