Photo

Samsung Galxy Note 3 and Telescope control?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

This is my first time post in this forum. Recently I've acquired a Starry Night BlueStar BlueTooth adapter seen here and was wondering It I could use It to control my Mounts using Sky Safari as shown in this video.

I've read that most Android devices don't support the necessary "ad-hoc" mode and need to be rooted, however this also voids the warrenty which I'd rather not do seeing as my Galaxy Note 3 is only a week old.

Is this possible? If not what other options do I have?

Mike

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Bluestar doesn't use Ad Hoc networking, it uses Bluetooth.

Yes, SkySafari can control the scope through the Bluestar, however you will need the serial cable that came with it for the specific mount. The pinout configuration of the Bluestar is unusual and a "normal" serial cable will not work.

If you need to make a cable, you will need to locate Bluestar's pinouts. I don't know them offhand.

Your other options are to by a standard bluetooth to serial adapter and then you can use a standard serial control cable for whatever mount you have.

#3 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the Info Bill. I realized shortly after posting (and doing some more searching) that the Bluetooth was independent from the "Ad-Hoc".

Ok, I already have a Serial - RJ11 Cable and was going to get this for the Celestron HC end.

Will this work? (If not I won't bother).

Mike

#4 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

No, this will not work. You really do need a Bluestar cable with the correct pinouts. He first cable is similar to the second in function. However neither of them will have the correct pinouts to work (unless you just get lucky).

You could contact Simulation Curriculum to see if they can tell you the pinouts. They (or their predecessor) originally made the Bluestar.

#5 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Thanks (again), It was worth a try. I did find the "pinouts" i believe on the Simulation Curriculum Support page.

At the bottom of this page is the pdf's for the various cables.

The Celetron cable I need is shown here . I wonder If I could fine an electronics store to fabricate one? :question:

Mike

#6 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Sucess! After reading about how to make a cable using an RJ crimper, I decided to try to make my own cable. I picked up the proper RJ plugs (not sure that's what they're called?) from a local electronics store as well as a $20 RJ crimper (4P, 6P, 8P) as well as a few feet of 8 strand cable.

Using the "pinout" provided in the above post I was able to make a cable that worked for my Celestron Mounts.
The cable I used didn't have the exact colors as was used in the pinout, but I made sure the three colors required for the "Celestron" side matched.
Quite pleased as I downloaded SkySafari and It should be a nice addition to my viewing experience.

Mike

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics