CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter in good seeing to start 2014

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks all!

Excellent shot Mike! Like the clarity and color.
BTW, do you still keep that Nexstar 8i? ;)

Nick

I do have that little monster and will bring it out when it's not cold and I get the rest of the Akule orchestra singing solo. I like the ASCOM guiding in FC and it's been working well after the mount got some tricks to it with some help from Mitch Duke.

Mike

#27 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

• Loc: Madrid, SPAIN

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Really nice one!

#28 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

wow easily one of the best so far this apparition!

congrats!!

Mike

#29 lcd1080

lcd1080

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Fantastic image, Mike. The detail on Ganymede is really spectacular. I'm looking forward to the videos. Hey, where are all the images from the East Coast on Jan 4? I figured everyone would be out that night, but I've only seen a few images here and on the Alpo list.

Pete - you can also do the long video technique. I derotate 5 minute SERs in WinJupos. The derotation takes a long time, but I think the results are worth it. Plus it makes it possible to let Firecapture image all night while I sleep. I take one RGB set every 20-30 minutes.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, yes I have de-rotated video files up to 7 minutes long; I was just wondering if there was a limit on how long the file can be because the best amateur imagers like Damian seem to stop at about 9 minutes.

I did image Jupiter on Jan 4 from Maryland about 50 miles northeast of you but it was only 9 degrees F so I opted to do it from my balcony with the planet at only 38 degrees elevation; that was a big mistake because Jupiter was over a 4 story apartment building that was emitting lots of heat in the super cold night air. I think that's why the seeing was so erratic even though above average seeing was predicted. The results were less than inspirational.

Pete

#30 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Pete, I accidentally took a 12 minute video the other night, and while I got WJ to derotate it I couldn't get AS2 to stack it. Understandable - it's about 20GB!

I've wondered what Damian et al. mean when they say seomthing like "9 minutes." 9x1 minutes? Over what time period? Or does it mean 3 minutes per color, sequentially? I've never been sure. Either way, I don't think many others are doing long video derotation. Which I can understand - it takes a long time to derotate all that data.

Kevin

#31 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Apollo

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Wonderful image Mike! Nicely done!

:waytogo:

#32 karlo

karlo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

fantastic ! ...and I love the eclipsed Io too, details throughout are xlnt

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics