• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks all!

Excellent shot Mike! Like the clarity and color.
BTW, do you still keep that Nexstar 8i? ;)

Nick

I do have that little monster and will bring it out when it's not cold and I get the rest of the Akule orchestra singing solo. I like the ASCOM guiding in FC and it's been working well after the mount got some tricks to it with some help from Mitch Duke.

Mike

#27 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

• Loc: Madrid, SPAIN

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Really nice one!

#28 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

wow easily one of the best so far this apparition!

congrats!!

Mike

#29 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Fantastic image, Mike. The detail on Ganymede is really spectacular. I'm looking forward to the videos. Hey, where are all the images from the East Coast on Jan 4? I figured everyone would be out that night, but I've only seen a few images here and on the Alpo list.

Pete - you can also do the long video technique. I derotate 5 minute SERs in WinJupos. The derotation takes a long time, but I think the results are worth it. Plus it makes it possible to let Firecapture image all night while I sleep. I take one RGB set every 20-30 minutes.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, yes I have de-rotated video files up to 7 minutes long; I was just wondering if there was a limit on how long the file can be because the best amateur imagers like Damian seem to stop at about 9 minutes.

I did image Jupiter on Jan 4 from Maryland about 50 miles northeast of you but it was only 9 degrees F so I opted to do it from my balcony with the planet at only 38 degrees elevation; that was a big mistake because Jupiter was over a 4 story apartment building that was emitting lots of heat in the super cold night air. I think that's why the seeing was so erratic even though above average seeing was predicted. The results were less than inspirational.

Pete

#30 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Pete, I accidentally took a 12 minute video the other night, and while I got WJ to derotate it I couldn't get AS2 to stack it. Understandable - it's about 20GB!

I've wondered what Damian et al. mean when they say seomthing like "9 minutes." 9x1 minutes? Over what time period? Or does it mean 3 minutes per color, sequentially? I've never been sure. Either way, I don't think many others are doing long video derotation. Which I can understand - it takes a long time to derotate all that data.

Kevin

#31 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Viking 1

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Wonderful image Mike! Nicely done!

:waytogo:

#32 karlo

karlo

Viking 1

• -----